Honda XRV Forum banner
261K views 1K replies 123 participants last post by  Cerberus21 
#1 ·
Honda Press release today:

The Africa Twin is back! CRF1000L Africa Twin confirmed for 2015.

Honda is delighted to announce the return of one of motorcycling’s most celebrated and evocative names – the Africa Twin. Having clearly shown the direction of its development and intent with the reveal of the True Adventure prototype at EICMA in November 2014.

Nick Campolucci Head of Honda Motorcycles, Honda (UK) commented “We look forward to seeing the Africa Twin here in the UK, the return of this iconic name is already causing quite a stir and we’re looking forward to the excitement it will bring when it arrives in UK showrooms next year.”

Some motorcycles encapsulate perfectly what an adventure motorcycle is all about. The original XRV650 Africa Twin – which debuted in 1988, after the first 3 out of 4 consecutive wins at the Paris-Dakar* – was one such machine. Its go-anywhere ability, rugged durability, easy-handling agility and all-day comfort made it the perfect partner with which to explore. And it helped to define a motorcycling segment that has now grown into one of the most popular worldwide. The new Africa Twin remains true to all the attributes and abilities of the XRV650 and its successor the XRV750, while adding the benefits of everything Honda has learnt on and off-road over the last decade, including Team HRC’s return to the Dakar in 2013**.

Furthermore, in a first for the category, the Africa Twin will feature the option of a new evolution of Honda’s Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) *** technology, which remains unique to Honda in motorcycling. This latest evolution of DCT has been specifically developed and programmed to provide the off-road ability with which the Africa Twin is synonymous.

The all-new CRF1000L Africa Twin is set to redefine expectations of just what a large-capacity adventure motorcycle can and should be capable of, both on and off-road, and opens an entirely new chapter in Honda’s illustrious history of dual-purpose motorcycles made for true adventure.

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks the business.... I want to see them offer the same type of colour schemes as they offered on the original twin. Exciting times ahead I think. If they price it right it should fly out of the showrooms... At last, a full on adventure bike with Honda reliability. Can't wait!!! :D :thumbright:

#5 ·
So what do we actually see hear, two new photos in MCN and a video where a bloke drinks coffee and watches a boxing match. No spec sheet, no more photos than two, no test.

This is turning out to be a farce, excuse me for being cynical but this could turn out to be the biggest turkey of all time :clown:

I sincerely hope Honda prove me wrong but it's getting beyond a joke now.

#7 ·
its hype the public are getting sucked in they sub concisely need an Africa twin . if they buy a new Africa twin their life will be complete they will lose weight their hair will grow back on their head and their erectile dysfuncition will heal it self they will become more attractive to the opposite sex ( blonds with big brests will throw them selfs at him on his new Africa twin , golden Labradors with a litter of pups will walk out across the road ) :lol: somebody says I think I might wait and buy a new Africa twin someone sees that posted on the forums and it gets them thinking ,hey maybe I will get one too . bike magazines are nothing more than 7 euro advertisement pamphlets for the motorcycle industry . a bike jurno test rides a bike and spouts a pile of shite about the bike being the best thing since sliced bread and he cant believe its not I cant believe it not butter . tom dick and harry read about this amazing machine and just simply have to have one . :blob7:

#16 ·
its hype…if they buy a new Africa twin they will lose weight their hair will grow back on their head and their erectile dysfuncition will heal it self they will become more attractive to the opposite sex (blonds with big brests will throw them selfs at him on his new Africa twin , golden Labradors with a litter of pups will walk out across the road )
If I buy the new Africa Twin, will tough-but-sensitive blokes with six-packs throw themselves at me? My pillion seat isn't getting any warmer.

The new machine looks bloody good, though.

Reactions: serious3
#11 ·
#19 ·
Looks like the RD07 from the back, but that is one ugly exhaust.
Also on the front the exhaust downpipes are exposed at the side of the bash plate, thats asking for a knock.
I hope its not a heavy pig with an ECU and a thousand electronic sensors dotted around the bike.

#20 ·
There are many good news there. First, the legacy of the African Twin is retained. It will be called an Africa Twin. It is a 1000cc bike. And it will be available from October in Europe and Spring in North America. How better can it be? Looks like I will need to convince my girlfriend I REALLY NEED a fifth bike in the garage... That shall be a very hard sale.

Lee

#21 ·
Can't wait for the toned down plain Jane Transalp version :)

Lots of speculation, it's a latecomer to an already well covered section of a finite market, being 1000cc it's already at a disadvantage to the usual well established contenders.
My bet; It will be complicated, it will be expensive, it will (probably) be good.

Phil

#22 ·
Lots of speculation, it's a latecomer to an already well covered section of a finite market, being 1000cc it's already at a disadvantage to the usual well established contenders.
My bet; It will be complicated, it will be expensive, it will (probably) be good.
Actually, I think it is the first one of a new range of bikes.

It is not as heavy as the BMW 1200, Yami XTZ1200 and other KTM 1290
It will have way more off-road capability than the bikes named above
It's only real match would be the BMW F800, but at 1000cc and the extra power, the choice is clear to me.

The comments abiove are based on my current owning and riding of a XRV650 and R1150 GSA - To me, that new 1000cc Africa Twin is the answer to a problem with the current bike offering. I predict a success for this bike. especially when the aftermarket will start offering accessories such as panniers, maybe bigger tanks, etc.

Lee

#25 ·
Honda are just trying to hype it up big time,the same as ducati did with the Scrambler.Bit pathetic,I reckon.If the bike is any good it will sell,if not it won't.All the hype crap won't make any difference.It does look a cool bike though and really hope it is good for all of us.

#30 ·
I had a look at the new crossrunner a few weeks ago and together with this much talked about new AT, I think Honda have turned the corner. They are making bikes that lots of people want or would like to buy......not sure about the specs but it sure looks the part. A bit like looking at Nicole Kidman and wondering whether she has a degree or if she can cook.....maybe or maybe not but at least what you see is very pleasing to the eye......

Plus, new AT in the showroom could mean plenty of good S/H Xtourer for decent money...?

Reactions: VTwin
#31 ·
Well, I hope it's more interesting than the NC 'adventure' bike which I bought and soon swapped for a Tenere. As for price, £15k - as someone suggested - would be absurd and won't get a sale with me or, I suspect, many others when there's very competent all-round bikes like the MT09 Tracer for many £000's less (ok, it's not a dual sport but I bet the vast majority of new @'s never venture further off-road than the odd gravel track). I really hope it turns out to be a relatively light, well-priced, not-overly-complex, dual sport machine but perhaps that's just being too optimistic.

#32 ·
Its got to be light and well priced agreed.

I am hoping Honda have resisted the temptation to make this way too tall, pricey, top-heavy, yadda. Surely its got to be good with all the marketing fuss. They've had plenty of time to pull a KTM, GS, Multistrada apart and get the new @ more nimble and lighter? As for price I joked at £15k, but you know, it wont be cheap. Sub £10,000 is not going to happen :( If it's out in October, heading for winter, they may offer 0% - I'm in !!!!

Really hope someone here gets one and can offer some honest review?

#36 ·
Well that's it ordered and deposit paid :thumbright:

Projected to be in the dealers beginning of December.

#37 ·
Well that's it ordered and deposit paid :thumbright:

Projected to be in the dealers beginning of December.
So, what choice of colours was available?

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.