I finally found me an Africa Twin! Two months ago I bought this 1996 RD07A model Twin, it's not the best looking bike as it is a bit worn, rusty and tired. I'm now busy with a full rebuild and i'm hoping to drive it again in the spring of 2017. I started with the rebuild a month ago so thats why the tons of photos.
Cockpitframe with complete wire loom, needs some repairs.
Found a burned voltage regulator/alternator plug
Broken crashbars, will be welded and painted.
Removing the engine
Starting with the engine. To mission is painting the engine, replacing the countershaft, and checking all the parts for condition and cleanliness.
Starter clutch still ok.
Removing the camshafts, gears, clutch, gear shift mechanism, oil pump. Next step is splitting the engine cases.
Removing the valves from the heads
Exhaust valve not looking good (white marks from fuel seeping through during leak test)
Both exhaust valves
Intake valves and guides looking good
Front cil exhaust valve, allready lapped this valve a bit
Rear exhaust valve not looking very good
Lapped the valves and seats. Installed valves and leak checked with fuel in the head, still full after aprox 6 hours.
Splitted the engine to replace the countershaft and bearing.
Replacing the countershaft
What does this code mean?
Some smudge on the oil pump filter, seems normal as compared with other rebuilds.
Rebuilding the engine
Manually checking the gears, offcourse did this before installing the heads.
All bolts, nuts, springs, tools, rings etc etc have been plated by GTO Plating in Veenendaal.
Sorting it all out, fun job
Rebuilding the starter motor
Prepped the frame and swingarm and dropped it off with some other loose parts at Waayenberg Coatings in Barneveld. Should be finished after new years.
Upgraded the cockpit with a oil press meter and a over- and under voltage warning light from eBay. It's green when voltage is normal and will flash more red and faster when the voltage becomes higher or lower than the max allowed minimums. Also gave the cockpit a good cleanup.
The warning light will look like this
The thingy on the left is a USB charger with voltmeter
Rebuilded the front forks with new seals, bushings and 10W oil .
Planning to buy a jack-up kit from Kitped
Also started with the rims. Fortunately not much corrosion, just a small spot around the tire valve hole wich I reworked
Small spots seem to look like corrosion
Professionally build stand to paint the rims
Will be polished
Rebuild the battery tray