Carb tuning 95 RD07 after full engine rebuild

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carb tuning 95 RD07 after full engine rebuild

CGwynne is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

Carb tuning 95 RD07 after full engine rebuild

Happy New Year to everyone.

Hello I've had my 1995 Africa Twin XRV 750 in a state of rebuild at a local Thai mechanic for about a year. The engine rebuild is done and works well.

But we noticed after putting everything together that the existing paper air filter had large holes in it.

So I ordered the Pipercross Air Filter from Rugged Roads and sent them the following email copied below but never heard back so I'm hoping the good folks here can give me advice.

The mechanic tuned the carbs before we saw the paper filter had holes and the engine sounded great. But when we replaced the bad air filter
    with the new Pipercross foam one, the mechanic had to retune the carbs.

He says he's not able to find a good tune and I can see it runs very roughly above 4500 rpm. He says the fit of the new Pipercross foam air filter is not good as it doesn't have the same metal support as the paper air filter, it lets air in around the top gasket. As such the mechanic has advised me to get rid of the Pipercross foam filter and get a proper paper one like the Honda OEM part.

But I don't want to give up so quickly on the Pipercross. Is there something we are not doing correctly to make it work ?

Do we need different jetting on the carbs for this filter?

Any help appreciated, have been off bikes for about 20 years and recently decided to pick up my dream bike from my teenage years. Hoping to tour SE Asian coffee plantations with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

quaycrest is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Carb tuning 95 RD07 after full engine rebuild

Could you use the metal top cut away from the original air filter to support and better seal the pipercross air filter?

thetimkirby is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Sounds like you've got a good mechanic. If the Pipercross is ill-fitting and leaking air, no amount of carb tuning will make it run properly. there would be no point anyway; if it's leaking air, it's also letting dust in and is therefore not doing it's job. If you can't get it to seal, get an OEM one and set it up as standard; at least you know it will work. If you do use an aftermarket one, even if it fits properly, you may well need to re-jet the carbs (not sure if this is true of the Piper cross; never used one). Is it worth the hassle? If you live somewhere very dusty and it gives the option of washing the filter, then maybe. If you can't get hold of OEM, fair enough. But otherwise, stick to OEM if you can.

RR are normally very reliable; maybe they never got your email. You could try sending a PM to them, via this site. Good luck with it, and please post some pics when you start traveling.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thetimkirby For This Useful Post:

Mototed (10-01-17)

6. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks

Good idea, will look into that
    Quote Originally Posted by quaycrest View Post
    Could you use the metal top cut away from the original air filter to support and better seal the pipercross air filter?

Thanks

But why would the Pipercross be ill fitting?
    And we were leaking air before with the old filter as it had huge holes in it effectively the paper was mostly gone. And the mechanic had managed to get the carbs tuned nicely.

Now with a filter in, its rough, but obviously I need one. And I didn't see any mention of needing to rejet the carbs with this filter, it's a pretty common foam one, just not as expensive as the K&N but still well regarded

Quote Originally Posted by thetimkirby View Post
    Sounds like you've got a good mechanic. If the Pipercross is ill-fitting and leaking air, no amount of carb tuning will make it run properly. there would be no point anyway; if it's leaking air, it's also letting dust in and is therefore not doing it's job. If you can't get it to seal, get an OEM one and set it up as standard; at least you know it will work. If you do use an aftermarket one, even if it fits properly, you may well need to re-jet the carbs (not sure if this is true of the Piper cross; never used one). Is it worth the hassle? If you live somewhere very dusty and it gives the option of washing the filter, then maybe. If you can't get hold of OEM, fair enough. But otherwise, stick to OEM if you can.

RR are normally very reliable; maybe they never got your email. You could try sending a PM to them, via this site. Good luck with it, and please post some pics when you start traveling.

thetimkirby is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CGwynne View Post
    But why would the Pipercross be ill fitting?
    Search me, I've never used one. Either it wasn't made the right shape, or it's been damaged. Better still, search this site and I think you'll find a thread about someone who spent a lot of time trying to get a foam filter to fit, couldn't get a seal, went back to the OE in desperation and got it running properly straight away.

I've no idea why the mechanic got it running well with the original; perhaps he's got the knack. But if it was full of holes, I'd have a good look inside the carbs before I bothered trying to set them up and make sure they are thoroughly clean (apologies if you've already done this). Is there a particular reason why you don't want to use OE?

quaycrest is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

In my thoughts are that the original air filter being full of holes was less restrictive to air flow allowing more air than originally designed by Mr Honda so in comparison the poorly fitting and again less restrictive filter should have worked!

The main difference being that the piper cross was allowing intake of unfiltered air on top of less restricted filtered air.

I would get a new oem filter and set the bike up to it first as this will remove a major variable in the tuning.

Once it's tuned and running well you could try the piper cross or k&n filters which in normal setup should not require any significant changes to work.

Crusty is offline Member
    Thanks

An air leak at the filter will do very little to upset the tune. a leak between the carb and the head will have a far greater effect.
    Check the carbs are secure in the inlet boots and that the rubber has no splits.

+ Reply to Thread