RD07 high Mileage machines. What's your mileage and what have you had to do to it ??

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RD07 high Mileage machines. What's your mileage and what have you had to do to it ??

Mototed is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

RD07 high Mileage machines. What's your mileage and what have you had to do to it ??

I've bought my fourth Africa Twin. I just couldn't live without one. Again !!

But it's also the highest mileage one I've had at 76,000 miles.

I know they're good for a lot more. I've rebuilt one at 55,000 miles for a customer and I really wouldn't have bothered. It looked and rode like new. Not a spec of wear on anything.

So I'm trying to gather some very average information on wear rate etc.

So what are you mega mileages ? And what have you had to do on the journey to the million ?

When did yours start burning oil ?

When did the gearbox go bad ?

How long did the clutch last ?

Cheers

Ted
    Last edited by Mototed; 17-02-17 at 09:12 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Geldof is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: RD07 high Mileage machines. What's your mileage and what have you had to do to it

My RD07a coming up to 57k which is not what I would consider high mileage for an AT.
    No mechanical issues at all thus far. I service it myself every 6k miles approx. Doesn't need oil between services (Motorex 10w40 Semi Synth).
    Changed one clutch cable and one speedo cable in the last 40k miles. Stripped and cleaned brake calipers last year. Otherwise just tyres/brake pads etc
    I think only thing that will require attention in the near future are the rims, last tyre change some erosion evident on inside of oem rims.
    XRV 750 RD07A

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Geldof For This Useful Post:

Mototed (15-01-17)

Paul-S is offline OVALTEENY !!!
    Thanks

Re: RD07 high Mileage machines. What's your mileage and what have you had to do to it

Main AT (RD07a) is on approx 74k miles. Runs perfect. Does 4-5 rides in a year (4-6000 miles) so when I'm on it it's big miles or long running hours when offroad. The bike is always ridden hard but carefully too. Serviced yearly whether mileage done or not. Head stock bearings twice and wheel bearings done 3 times

Fuel pump done 40k, cables redone at 32k miles, still on original clutch, no wheel drag when on stand, hardly uses any oil, had front calipers and rear rebuilt at 58k, new front discs and pads, new rear pads at same time.

On 4th chain and sprocket set now (just changed)

Rear shock replaced at 64k with Nitron racing, forks have intimminators and slugs fitted

Just having the wheels refurbished with better condition OEM rims and getting a new rear disc and pads

02 RD07a RWB, Powerbronze tall screen, Remus Grand Prix, TT crash bars, TT pannier frame, Zega style panniers, Alpos top box,TT bar risers, TT headlamp guard, Heated grips, mainstand, Heidenau K60s for road and light offroad, TKC80s for the dirty stuff, Scottoiler, Autocomm, TT Zumo mount, Zumo 550 and most of all A BIG GRIN !!! Oh, and a very nice RD04 HRC coloured Marathon Replica

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul-S For This Useful Post:

Mototed (15-01-17)

7. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

steinberg is offline Commuter Extraordinaire
    Thanks

My @'s covered 53k miles from new and is used all year round, primarily for the office commute 2-3 times a week when I don't need the car. It's never let me down, with servicing (by me) being done as and when needed, e.g. oil & filter change every 4k. I've kept a log of all work done but in brief the main items are - fuel pump replaced at 18k with a Facet; head bearings renewed & front brake hoses replaced with HEL lines at 33k (lines replaced since the OEM ones snagged slightly on crash bars fittings); new complete exhaust at 44k, whilst at 46k I took it off the road for a mild overhaul incl. new Nitron shock, new bearings for the shock linkage, new SM Pro wheel rims, s/s spokes & bearings, new front discs and re-built seat (all the OE bits had worn out to some extent). The front callipers get stripped every now & then when I renew the dust & fluid seals (OEM seals seem to have notably more longevity than pattern ones). The rear calliper is untouched aside from fitting of new pads at 46k. Now on its third set of OEM C&S's and third clutch cable. It burns no oil, is on the original clutch plates/springs, runs well and will definitely be kept
    Last edited by steinberg; 16-01-17 at 10:43 AM.
    2002 XRV 750 Bought new, 52k miles to date

2013 Tenere

9. The Following User Says Thank You to steinberg For This Useful Post:

Mototed (15-01-17)

Xander is offline A man without Ale.
    Thanks

Hi Guys,
    I know i dont post much (at all) any more.. but... My 2000 RDO7a has about 280k km ( had to replace the clutch once and oil rings and seals.. other then that all the standards)
    I also have just bought a 97 rdo7 with about 160k km... this has had the works done to the engine...
    Anubis 2000 RD07a Black. pro-oiler, x-zone boxes F/R, MRA Vairo, Heated grips, Alarm, AQ fuel light, centre stand, BSM Titanium can, PC black plate, Vista cruise control, H3 led fog lights, RC bars,Boano 36lt fuel tank(er), Facet, X zone seat, Jesse topbox, WP shocker, WP progressive, AQ rear Rack, starcom x-zone tool tube, x-zone tank pod... still working...

Xander: confirmed MMAA sufferer

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xander For This Useful Post:

GSPD750 (15-02-17), Jammytask (16-02-17), Mototed (15-02-17)

Jammytask is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-S View Post

On 4th chain and sprocket set now (just changed)
    Hi Paul, which chain a sprocket did you fit? Mine needs a new chain, I've never replaced one but how hard can it be?! Cheers, Chris.

Mototed is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jammytask View Post
    Hi Paul, which chain a sprocket did you fit? Mine needs a new chain, I've never replaced one but how hard can it be?! Cheers, Chris.
    DID VX2 chain with JT sprockets are a good bet. Genuine Honda front sprocket if you're feeling flush.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mototed For This Useful Post:

Jammytask (17-02-17)

steinberg is offline Commuter Extraordinaire
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I know i dont post much (at all) any more.. but... My 2000 RDO7a has about 280k km ( had to replace the clutch once and oil rings and seals.. other then that all the standards)
    I also have just bought a 97 rdo7 with about 160k km... this has had the works done to the engine...
    280k km is admirable, that must be around 160k miles or so. Going back a few years, I've a vague recollection that you may have set off on a round-the-world trip?? What sort of mileage were the clutch & the oil rings/seals replaced?
    2002 XRV 750 Bought new, 52k miles to date

2013 Tenere

16. The Following User Says Thank You to steinberg For This Useful Post:

Mototed (17-02-17)

gcsixty6 is offline Member
    Thanks

Wow! I wanted to make an impression but 175k miles (280k km) is a big number even for my

Centenarians

that has not reached the 130k miles mark.
    Still running greatly. No oil consumption whatsoever.

Electrics bullet proof after years ago I installed a MOFSET R/R and a Yuasa High Performance.

It's at its second Facet pump: the first served me greatly for 55k miles.

The only issue I have is possibly due to a dented rear hub that affects the bearings
    RD07 - Rear hub collar: design flaw?

but with shim rings I am able to compensate the problem, just still trying for the correct distance.

Next job on schedule in spring is a clutch overhaul. First gear is becoming hard to insert.

I have just changed a chain with a DID VX124 and JT rear sprocket. Front sprocket I am trying the Sefner one.

bulldog is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

mine done 79K , ( not by me I may add) and runs sweet no issues starts on the button rides fine, the 'AT' rep and I had one before was why I did not bat an eye lid at buying a bike with that sort of mileage
    you did'nt see me ok

XT 350
    GPZ 500
    VFR 800
    FJR 1300
    VMX1200 Vmax
    600 transalp
    RD 07 Africa Twin
    KLR 650
    VMX 1700 Vmax (current)
    Africa Twin 07A (current)

+ Reply to Thread