New owner with some noob questions :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New owner with some noob questions :)

motionXRV750 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

New owner with some noob questions :)

I'm located in the USA, and used a purchasing service in Ireland to acquire a 1999 XRV750 Africa Twin. I am beyond excited to get over there to ride my new bike!

I'm flying to Dublin next month to pick up the bike, and will be ferrying it to France for a 2 week ride around the Alps. I've covered all these areas previously in cars, so I know pretty much what to expect.

With respect to the AT, I won't have access to my tool set, or really any time to hunt down parts and accessories, so I need to be prepared and loaded up with my stuff before I leave the USA, so I can hit the ground running in Ireland. The bike is in pretty good shape with 36,000 miles. It has had a recent service with oil change, air filter change, front brake calipers rebuilt with new pads, and valves checked. The carbs were also cleaned and synched. It is basically road-worthy, but I want to make sure I have my bases all covered.

Would you all mind if I ask a few basic questions?

1) I plan on ordering and having the following spare parts with me. Is this a good, complete list for common failure items?

OEM rectifier
    Fuel pump repair kit with points
    Rugged Roads chain adjusters

2) The bike has renthal aftermarket handlebars. Will any 7/8" heated grip kit work on the bike?

3) I need to figure out a solution for dry bags. Will the Enduristan Monsoon side bags work on the bike with no pannier racks, but with the Enduristan heat shield on the muffler side? My bike does have a Laser ProDuro exhaust. If not, I plan on going with 2 Enduristan Tornado 30L bags on the rear seat/rack.

4) The bike has a Bagster tank cover, but no tank bag. Are the Bagster tank bags the way to go then? Alternatively, I could remove the tank cover and go with an Oxford magnetic tank bag (I don't like straps running all over the place)

5) Is there a good aftermarket headlight bulb solution which I could install fairly easily?

That's all I can think of for now. Any help is really appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: New owner with some noob questions :)

Forgot a pic of my bike

Name:  AT.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  196.0 KB

mrfixit54016 is offline Member
    Thanks

1. Looks good.
    2. I have used the inexpensive TUSK brand grip heater kit from Rocky Mountain ATV and have been very happy. If you have installed this type of heater element before, you know that you will need solder, soldering iron, multimeter, and grab a couple sections of 1" heat-shrink tubing. Use two layers of heat-shrink on the left hand side of the bars to insulate the element from the metal handlebar. This way both the throttle side, and the clutch side will have a pretty even feel to the heat.
    3. Take a look at Green Chile Adventure as well for an easy strapping system that can be used with any dry bags on any bike.
    4. Not sure
    5. I have these and they are an improvement over the standard bulbs. 2 x 9003 H4 High Power CREE-XML2 Chips 80W Xenon 6500K White LED Headlight Hi/Lo | eBay

What part of Montana are you in? Will the bike be coming home with you?

5. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

BobA is offline xRv PiMp ;-)
    Thanks

I'm sure you're probably well aware of how robust and reliable the AT is, and it's very few gremlins.

There's not an awful lot that can go wrong with one that's been properly serviced.

First of all, if the bike has H4 bulbs/headlamps, they will be MORE than adequate for Irish/UK/Euro roads. Find out if the bike was a genuine Irish or UK import, or if it was personally imported. A glance at the odometer, and whether it is MPH or KMH will give you the best idea. The reason I mention this is because UK (i.e Right Hand Drive - We drive on the left side) headlamps are dipped (to the right) so they do not blind oncoming drivers. Euro headlamps may be dipped in the other direction or a flat beam cut-off. Point is, if you have UK headlamps, you will need to buy some self adhesive "beam benders" at a ferry port when you leave the UK. They're cheap and will not draw attention from Euro cops. You should also check up on other things you need for riding and driving in Europe (copies of your log book, insurance, a breathalyser kit, and a high viz vest etc) CREE or LED upgrades won't give you any significant lighting advantage in my opinion, and will probably just annoy oncoming drivers. I think US laws regarding lighting are a bit more relaxed than UK and definitely Euro (Germany) so personally I wouldn't bother.

I would also add one of the following to your kit of spares, as the 30amp master fuse is another weak point

Starter Relay Solenoid + Plug Fit Honda CBR 600 954 1000 CB RVF RVT ST VFR NT AY

HONDA / KAWASAKI MOTORCYCLE RED 4 WAY STARTER SOLENOID CONNECTOR PLUG MAIN FUSE | eBay

An AT can be loaded up with soft luggage reasonably easy, so I'm sure your throwover bags will work OK.

The AT was sold extensively through Europe and UK, so you should be OK should the worse happen.

I assume you've had plenty of photographs sent through of the bike's front sprocket and gearbox output shaft, which is the biggest problem with most AT's???

Wemoto Honda XRV 750 X/Y RD07 Africa Twin 99-03 Parts at Wemoto - The UK's No.1 On-Line Motorcycle Parts Retailer is a great UK supplier of pattern parts

Rugged Roads XRV750 RD07A (1996 - 2003) - Rugged Roads is excellent for genuine and aftermarket parts in the UK

CSMNL Honda Xrv750 Africa Twin 1999 (x) England parts list partsmanual partsfiche is good for parts in Euroland!

Have fun, don't panic, it will get you there, they always do!

Bob
    http://ukrp.musicradio.com/gold/live

Cheap and reliable won't be fast...

Fast and cheap won't be reliable...
    Fast and reliable won't be cheap...

Massive Lee is online now Senior Member
    Thanks

From your list, I would replace the OEM voltage regulator by a Mosfet regulator. Because if your regulator in the bike fails, most likely it will also boil the battery. So, take delivery of the bike and one evening, if you have nothing to do, swap your regulator.

SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH020AA REGULATOR/RECTIFIER KIT REPLACES FH012AA | eBay

1982 Honda 500 Ascot FT / 1986 Honda 750 Nighthawk S / 1988 Honda 1000 Hurricane / 1990 Honda CBR1000F / 2006 BMW R1150 GSA SE

2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current
    Honda Africa Twin
    akaQueen of Sheeba -- Current
    1996 Honda Africa Twin
    akaGertrude Bell -- Current

http://www.facebook.com/Massive-Ride-1153740581384956/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit54016 View Post
    1. Looks good.
    2. I have used the inexpensive TUSK brand grip heater kit from Rocky Mountain ATV and have been very happy. If you have installed this type of heater element before, you know that you will need solder, soldering iron, multimeter, and grab a couple sections of 1" heat-shrink tubing. Use two layers of heat-shrink on the left hand side of the bars to insulate the element from the metal handlebar. This way both the throttle side, and the clutch side will have a pretty even feel to the heat.
    3. Take a look at Green Chile Adventure as well for an easy strapping system that can be used with any dry bags on any bike.
    4. Not sure
    5. I have these and they are an improvement over the standard bulbs. 2 x 9003 H4 High Power CREE-XML2 Chips 80W Xenon 6500K White LED Headlight Hi/Lo | eBay

What part of Montana are you in? Will the bike be coming home with you?

Awesome, thank you for the great info. I am in Red Lodge. The bike is staying in France. Planning on getting over there 3X a year or so to ride it. Next ride will be Eastern Europe in September.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobA View Post
    I'm sure you're probably well aware of how robust and reliable the AT is, and it's very few gremlins.

There's not an awful lot that can go wrong with one that's been properly serviced.

First of all, if the bike has H4 bulbs/headlamps, they will be MORE than adequate for Irish/UK/Euro roads. Find out if the bike was a genuine Irish or UK import, or if it was personally imported. A glance at the odometer, and whether it is MPH or KMH will give you the best idea. The reason I mention this is because UK (i.e Right Hand Drive - We drive on the left side) headlamps are dipped (to the right) so they do not blind oncoming drivers. Euro headlamps may be dipped in the other direction or a flat beam cut-off. Point is, if you have UK headlamps, you will need to buy some self adhesive "beam benders" at a ferry port when you leave the UK. They're cheap and will not draw attention from Euro cops. You should also check up on other things you need for riding and driving in Europe (copies of your log book, insurance, a breathalyser kit, and a high viz vest etc) CREE or LED upgrades won't give you any significant lighting advantage in my opinion, and will probably just annoy oncoming drivers. I think US laws regarding lighting are a bit more relaxed than UK and definitely Euro (Germany) so personally I wouldn't bother.

I would also add one of the following to your kit of spares, as the 30amp master fuse is another weak point

Starter Relay Solenoid + Plug Fit Honda CBR 600 954 1000 CB RVF RVT ST VFR NT AY

HONDA / KAWASAKI MOTORCYCLE RED 4 WAY STARTER SOLENOID CONNECTOR PLUG MAIN FUSE | eBay

An AT can be loaded up with soft luggage reasonably easy, so I'm sure your throwover bags will work OK.

The AT was sold extensively through Europe and UK, so you should be OK should the worse happen.

I assume you've had plenty of photographs sent through of the bike's front sprocket and gearbox output shaft, which is the biggest problem with most AT's???

Wemoto Honda XRV 750 X/Y RD07 Africa Twin 99-03 Parts at Wemoto - The UK's No.1 On-Line Motorcycle Parts Retailer is a great UK supplier of pattern parts

Rugged Roads XRV750 RD07A (1996 - 2003) - Rugged Roads is excellent for genuine and aftermarket parts in the UK

CSMNL Honda Xrv750 Africa Twin 1999 (x) England parts list partsmanual partsfiche is good for parts in Euroland!

Have fun, don't panic, it will get you there, they always do!

Bob

Thanks much, Bob. Great info and I am going through it closely.

I know insurance is mandatory, but these are, also? If so, I need to do some more research

(copies of your log book, insurance, a breathalyser kit, and a high viz vest etc)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Massive Lee View Post
    From your list, I would replace the OEM voltage regulator by a Mosfet regulator. Because if your regulator in the bike fails, most likely it will also boil the battery. So, take delivery of the bike and one evening, if you have nothing to do, swap your regulator.
    Perfect, thanks.

Thanks

BTW, here is a photo of my bike
    Attached Images  

TheSheep is offline Member
    Thanks

Just back from France and visit couple of times a year.
    Most of the items you list are aimed for cars - it's unclear what is required for bikes - you forgot red warning triangle, GB sticker, replacement bulb kit
    I never travel with a breathalyser kit (#2) - apparently even the French don't bother.
    Hi-vis is always a good idea but again I don't choose to do so.
    So log book, insurance, spare keys and spare bulbs is all I take

If you are heading to the Alps and intend to travel on Swiss or Austrian motorways then you will need a Vignette (Swiss police are notorious for fining those who don't)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast