I'm located in the USA, and used a purchasing service in Ireland to acquire a 1999 XRV750 Africa Twin. I am beyond excited to get over there to ride my new bike!
I'm flying to Dublin next month to pick up the bike, and will be ferrying it to France for a 2 week ride around the Alps. I've covered all these areas previously in cars, so I know pretty much what to expect.
With respect to the AT, I won't have access to my tool set, or really any time to hunt down parts and accessories, so I need to be prepared and loaded up with my stuff before I leave the USA, so I can hit the ground running in Ireland. The bike is in pretty good shape with 36,000 miles. It has had a recent service with oil change, air filter change, front brake calipers rebuilt with new pads, and valves checked. The carbs were also cleaned and synched. It is basically road-worthy, but I want to make sure I have my bases all covered.
Would you all mind if I ask a few basic questions?
1) I plan on ordering and having the following spare parts with me. Is this a good, complete list for common failure items?
Fuel pump repair kit with points
Rugged Roads chain adjusters
2) The bike has renthal aftermarket handlebars. Will any 7/8" heated grip kit work on the bike?
3) I need to figure out a solution for dry bags. Will the Enduristan Monsoon side bags work on the bike with no pannier racks, but with the Enduristan heat shield on the muffler side? My bike does have a Laser ProDuro exhaust. If not, I plan on going with 2 Enduristan Tornado 30L bags on the rear seat/rack.
4) The bike has a Bagster tank cover, but no tank bag. Are the Bagster tank bags the way to go then? Alternatively, I could remove the tank cover and go with an Oxford magnetic tank bag (I don't like straps running all over the place)
5) Is there a good aftermarket headlight bulb solution which I could install fairly easily?
That's all I can think of for now. Any help is really appreciated