Electrical problem?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electrical problem?

Mr Blue is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

Electrical problem?

Opening this post just to share the continuing story of my electrical issues, which became more visible after I had Joerg Hau build a voltindicator in my Tripmeter.
    But first let me drop my chronicles of the previous weeks. Get some crisps and a Coke cause this gon take a while
    31-3: OEM regulator dies on my way to work (fried connector) Had a new one installed which is supposed to be a Mosfet-type, so bigger/better/stronger. Right?
    Collected my bike from mechanic a few days later and noticed within 5 minutes riding my rpm-gauge swings up and down in sync with indicator. Also when I switch off my headlights, the rpm-needle slowly but steadily goes beyond maximum(??)
    Funny thing is, when headlights are in use, the rpm-meter acts normally. Didn't measure nothing at that point since bike just came from mechanic.
    1-4: Sent my Tripmeter to Switserland for revision and have Joerg add a voltmeter to it.
    5-4: Had someone add an extra ground-connection from - side of battery to back of dashboard because (as said) 'a bad ground could possibly cause the weird behaviour of the rpm-meter'. Also had my electrics checked and all connectors (contact)sprayed. Had to get the starter relay-connector renewed too as it got partly fried also, probably when regulator died.
    All this solved nothing concerning the rpm-meter... At this time I also noticed my temp meter didn't work anymore but the cooling fan did.
    8-4: Tripmeter returns from Switserland. Indicates high voltage right after installation. Measured 17 VOLTS!! at battery. When I switched on headlights at that point, voltage is lowering to around normal.
    12-4: Replaced regulator with another (new) one from a different brand. Now voltages (measured @battery) are normal again, rpm-meter functions normal again too. \o/
    The red undervoltage-light though still is glowing/burning when headlights and indicator are used.

Like the two other posts I found in this forum on this Voltmeter-subject, the red light (indicating undervoltage) is glowing/burning far more frequent than it's supposed to. Mind you, it shouldn't burn or glow at all under 12.8v
    When I'm using headlights though (both are burning) and I rev the engine the red light gets brighter (50-60%), even more when rpm's increase towards 50000. When I switch on the indicator too, the red light goes really bright in the same rythm as the indicator blinks (?)
    When headlights/indicator are NOT in use the red light is off \o/

I sent an video to Mr Hau showing the voltages measured at the battery (13.8-14.1 @30000rpm) aswell viewing the blinking undervoltage light when using headlights and indicators at the same time. His advice; Have your stator-coils checked for resistance or bad ground. The continuous glowing/burning red light could indicate a statorproblem.
    My mechanic however says he can measure the loading capacity of the generator with the 3fases-wiring coming from it, and if that gives the right values the stator is fine. Also he disqualifies the voltmeter right away saying most of them are never right... (I think this one works properly btw)

My question is, will measuring the generator output say enough about the health of the stator? Will that diagnose correctly if the stator doesn't make a shortcircuit somewhere or otherwise have resistance or bad ground-issues? Or should I insist measuring the coils with stator disassembled from bike?
    And what about the red undervoltage light burning when headlights an indicators are being used. Can there be some sort of voltage drop or leak in the dashboard area, which makes the red light burn? Can this be caused by a current leakage somewhere which is NOT noticable when measuring loadingvoltage at the battery? Tripmeter seems to work normally (no fading of LED screen indicating lower voltage)
    Last edited by Mr Blue; 19-05-17 at 08:24 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Wicky is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Electrical problem?

Had a similar problem that hit me one winter on my Firestorm - despite a healthy battery and known to be good R/R electrical output gradually fell off - so couldn't have heated grips on at the same time as the headlight then soon after not enough leccy juice to turn the bike over.

Thankfully I had a spare stator and found the old one had a couple or 3 burnt windings on the coil - not many but enough to cause a big deficit in output.

Mr Blue is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

Main thing that worries me is the decrease in voltage at battery to 13.8v, which is too low according to the manual. (headlights on, rpm's >40K)
    I would expect the regulator to regulate that value to around 14.5v. Haven't got a clue if a faulty stator could cause this, but reading your story, the problem sounds similar indeed.

Also the voltmeter indicating less than 12.8 volts at the dashboard (triggering red light of voltindicator) has got me puzzled. What could possibly explain the difference with battery-measured values? Dunno..

Hope the problem will be made visible after some testing and not remain hidden behind that generator cover.
    Last edited by Mr Blue; 19-05-17 at 08:11 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Massive Lee is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

I suggest to check grounds. If your bike is an RD07, there's one just beside the front ignition coil. The other known ground connection is on the starter motor.

You can easily test your stator at the 3-prong connector. No need to remove the stator from the cover unless you want to change it.

Lee
    Last edited by Massive Lee; 20-05-17 at 03:24 AM.
    1982 Honda 500 Ascot FT / 1986 Honda 750 Nighthawk S / 1988 Honda 1000 Hurricane / 1990 Honda CBR1000F / 2006 BMW R1150 GSA SE

2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current
    Honda Africa Twin
    akaQueen of Sheeba -- Current
    1996 Honda Africa Twin
    akaGertrude Bell -- Current

http://www.facebook.com/Massive-Ride-1153740581384956/

ronsjc is offline Member
    Thanks

Wow, sounds exactly like my issue. I had my Tripmaster repaired by Joerg with the red and yellow lights added. I was getting a flickering red light from time to time, but the bike always started fine. Then the red light started staying on almost all the time. I checked the battery voltage, but it all seemed fine. This past week end I made the trip to the Back Country Discovery Routes Annual Fund Raiser and at the first gas stop the bike wouldn't start. I got a jump, turned the head lights off and the red light disappeared. Road the bike for 3 days with out an issue, but I stayed off the long routes off road routes just in case.
    I assumed it was the voltage regulator. But, I'll start with the grounds. Sounds like the simplest to check first. Mr. Blue, let me know if you find a solution.

Thanks,
    Ron

Massive Lee is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Voltage at the battery is the ideal voltage you'll het on the bike. Then you start losing some of it along the wiring. I suspect a voltage drop between the battery and the front. This is why I suggest measuring voltage directly on the battery lead posts. Then on the two thick connectors. Perhaps there's oxydation between the posts and the connectors. Then, check the big ground from the battery to the starter motor. Access the bolt, unscrew it, remove the connector, sand, clean and grease it. Reinstall. keep on measuring voltage on a few 12v + on the front of the bike.

Lee
    1982 Honda 500 Ascot FT / 1986 Honda 750 Nighthawk S / 1988 Honda 1000 Hurricane / 1990 Honda CBR1000F / 2006 BMW R1150 GSA SE

2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current
    Honda Africa Twin
    akaQueen of Sheeba -- Current
    1996 Honda Africa Twin
    akaGertrude Bell -- Current

http://www.facebook.com/Massive-Ride-1153740581384956/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Massive Lee For This Useful Post:

ronsjc (23-05-17)

+ Reply to Thread