Fitting the Baglux Tank Cover.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fitting the Baglux Tank Cover.

R0vers is offline BLUE 1999 xrv750x
    Thanks

Fitting the Baglux Tank Cover.

Finally!! - having waited 8 weeks - it has arrived....!!!!

There i was thinking it would be a piece of cake fitting it.....

1. does the airbox cover go under or over? - this would mean cutting 4 neat holes in the tank cover???

1. - where does the front adjustable strap go around?

3. - where does the rear adjustable strap go around?

4. - I am presuming that the cover will stretch and settle out over the next couple of weeks??? - as the fuel cap hole is oval and not round...

thanks in advance guys!
    Last edited by R0vers; 17-01-08 at 09:04 AM.
    1999 Blue AFRICA TWIN XRV750, RD07A, with Front Foglights,Modyfied adventure front fairing,Baglux Touring seat,Baglux tank cover,Touratech Panniers,Micron Exhaust,Ricky Cross engine Bars,Center Stand,12v Socket's,Heated Grips,Stebel naultilus
    TLD2008 15.41

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Fitting the Baglux Tank Cover.

The Bagster tankcover is over the airbox cover. Not sure if it is the same with the Baglux.

Raven is offline DILLIGAF
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Paulsen View Post
    The Bagster tankcover is over the airbox cover. Not sure if it is the same with the Baglux.
    They are one and the same good sir . Bagster make them, Baglux distribute them.

r0vers, I can't help specifcally with fitting on an Africa Twin, but I can tell you that they do stretch out over the course of 2 weeks or so, moulding around the contours of the tank, and as long as you are careful not to overtighten straps at first, the petrol cap hole should stay circular . Dont forget that it is easier to fit if it has been left next to a source of heat for about an hour or so (not too close mind ), it makes it much easier to manipulate. Its also worth, over the course of the two weeks, slowly tightening the straps as the cover stretches and shapes, but ensuring that again they aren't being over tightened. I had one on my previous bike, only yesterday fitted one to my current bike, and have fitted them to several of my friends bikes this way and all has been well .

I hope any of my ramblings helped
    Old and wise enough to know better, but still young and dumb enough to keep doing it anyway...

Thanks

Raven,

Thank you for the heads up on this!!! i will re-adjust the straps as suggested....
    1999 Blue AFRICA TWIN XRV750, RD07A, with Front Foglights,Modyfied adventure front fairing,Baglux Touring seat,Baglux tank cover,Touratech Panniers,Micron Exhaust,Ricky Cross engine Bars,Center Stand,12v Socket's,Heated Grips,Stebel naultilus
    TLD2008 15.41

Thanks

Which direction is the hole going oval? If it's to the sides of the tank, then its the straps on the side that are pulling too tight, and conversly if its going oval towards the top of the tank, its the ones on the top and/or the bottom.

While I think of it, did you take the tank cover out of the box and let it settle for a while when you first got it? I only say this as when mine arrived Teusday it was in a very narrow box, and was kind of out of shape, so I put it on the back of a chair to spread it out for about 12 hours, and that got rid of a crease down the middle and the slightly elongated petrol cap hole.

It is most likely the straps but thought it was worth mentioning. Let us know if you get it sorted
    Old and wise enough to know better, but still young and dumb enough to keep doing it anyway...

YEN_POWELL is offline Generalissimo Tea Boy
    north Essex, I can see Suffolk from here with binoculars
    Thanks

I've had mine in continuous use for 8 years, they ride up with wear. Front strap I put under the headstock just behind the actual shaft, back strap I pass under the rear mounting plate (the bit the two bolts go through). Then I tension them so I can see the petrol cap. Then I fit the rubber straps to the underside of the tank (think I had to remove some trim off the tank for that.)
    3 Africa Twins/280,000 miles. If it's happened to one of mine, it's gonna happen to one of yours.....eventually.

1 Varadero/59,000 miles ridden (of 82,000 miles on the bike), it's all still new to me!

Thanks

"Front strap I put under the headstock just behind the actual shaft, back strap I pass under the rear mounting plate (the bit the two bolts go through)"

Thanks Yen.!!

i suspected this was the way to go.....!

I will have a tinker....
    TLD2008 15.41

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YEN_POWELL View Post
    I've had mine in continuous use for 8 years, they ride up with wear. Front strap I put under the headstock just behind the actual shaft, back strap I pass under the rear mounting plate (the bit the two bolts go through). Then I tension them so I can see the petrol cap. Then I fit the rubber straps to the underside of the tank (think I had to remove some trim off the tank for that.)

Yen, how do the paint underneath look when you had it on for a long time? Does dust get under it so it scratches up the paint? I got at tank cover from my wife to Cristmas, and i'm considering to put vinyltape on the tank to protect it before fitting the cover.

Twosheds is offline Member
    Thanks

Oh Gawd.....Guess who ordered one of the these yesterday! same colour too....8 weeks!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twosheds View Post
    Oh Gawd.....Guess who ordered one of the these yesterday! same colour too....8 weeks!!
    Mine took 6 weeks to arrive. I think it's because they are hand made in France by Bagster and are then then sent over here to Baglux for dispatch.
    Last edited by Raven; 17-01-08 at 11:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast