Ok, so over the last few years I have posted about having electrical problems and sorted them and then they have come back but the problems have been spaced apart and so I am going to put all my probs in one thread to see if anyone has an answer.
2 years ago I blew a bulb and fried two batteries before I put in a second hand rectifier and all was good.
Then in the winter this year I had to ride inland(drop in temp made my hands freeze) So reconnected the heated grips that i disconnected when I had the previous issues.
A few weeks back I had a flat battery, but put it down to the bike not been used for about3-4 weeks, so recharged and all good.
Then I noticed that the headlight took about 5 seconds to come on after turning it on by the switch and the indicators were even more non responsive(sometimes 15-20 seconds).
Anyway bought one of those cheap bulb testers on ebay that tells you your charging circuit status, but before I could put it on, I got all the 8's on my trip. I read on the forum that disconnecting the battery for 30seconds clears that and it did.
Then next day I was out on the bike and after being parked up the battery was flat on return.
Bumped the bike to start it and rode to next destination, on route I noticed that the trip was adding miles by the second and after 5 miles it had added nearly 60 miles. Also when standing still, revving the engine the miles kept being added on.
So I tried to ride home butthe bike cut out. I had to get a tow truck home.
So first thing I did was charge the battery up to full(reading was 12.5v) then put it in the bike.
When I turned the ignition on, the neutral,oil etc lights came on then dimmed then when I dipped the clutch, they went bright then dimmed again, I tried to start the bike but nothing and then the trip blanked (flat battery I assumed) I took a reading and 9.5v.
So assumed battery was knackered and possibly/probably the rectifier. and removed the battery.
Anyway I tested the voltage on the battery this morning and its back at 12.5v
I am losing the plot here....wtf
how can a battery gain voltage whilst sitting in my bedroom?
why are the lights and indicators struggling to get power when the trip is getting so many pulses that the miles are piling on?
Is it the rectifier, is it the grips or could there be another issue?
cheers in advance just dont want to buy a new battery and rectifier and fry the next battery because it was something else and have bought a rectifier unessessarily.