Honda XRV Forum banner

Engine needed RD07A. Canada

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  scouseviking 
#1 ·
Hi. Am looking for an engine for my 1997 XRV750. Please PM if you have one or know of one that is reasonablly priced since I still have to pay significant shipping costs. These bikes were never sold in North America so hard to find one here. Thanks

#2 ·
You realize it is your third same exact post asking for an engine. Right?

This is not necessary.

#4 · (Edited)
Greetings from the land of The Vikings :hello2:

I have located two for sale on ebay Germany from a 1984 model...
It has just under 40 000 miles on the engine which the owner says ran fine until the bike was taken apart.
Its complete with Starter motor and electrical gubbins.
The only fault I can see is a problem with the output shaft which might be a deal breaker for you.
You can see the damage in the photos.:(:(:(
If you are prepared to fit a new output shaft and if he ships to North America,you might want to move quick as there are 43 people watching it. :cyclops::cyclops::cyclops:

Heres the link.

Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin RD07 Motor | eBay

If you want I can ask how much shipping would be to Canada as he quotes a price of €250 for shipping around europe.

There is a second one but its twice the price with 100 000 miles but it dont give the year its from but he ships with DHL..

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Honda-XRV-750-Africa-Twin-RD07-Motor-/262561287901?hash=item3d21df4edd:g:Q-sAAOSwhOdXogMh

I
hope this helps:thumbup:

#5 ·
Greetings from the land of The Vikings :hello2:

I have located two for sale on ebay Germany from a 1984 model...
It has just under 40 000 miles on the engine which the owner says ran fine until the bike was taken apart.
Its complete with Starter motor and electrical gubbins.
The only fault I can see is a problem with the output shaft which might be a deal breaker for you.
You can see the damage in the photos.:(:(:(
If you are prepared to fit a new output shaft and if he ships to North America,you might want to move quick as there are 43 people watching it. :cyclops::cyclops::cyclops:

Heres the link.

Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin RD07 Motor | eBay

If you want I can ask how much shipping would be to Canada as he quotes a price of €250 for shipping around europe.

There is a second one but its twice the price with 100 000 miles but it dont give the year its from but he ships with DHL..

Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin RD07 Motor | eBay hope this helps:thumbup:
If you noticed, the output shaft from the first engine is busted. A replacement shaft is cheap, but it requires to split the case and the owner doesn't want to do mechanical work it seems. ;-)

#6 ·
would an engine from a Honda hawk gt 650 /bros 650 fit ? might be easier to get hold of in North America ? the shipping is going to be the killer from Europe . what about Japan is there bike parts dealers in Japan willing to ship . there is plenty of ex pat north American riders living in japan on advrider.com maybe ask on there too it might help your cause . shipping might be steep too . good luck with it .

#9 ·
Thank you all for your help.
Unfortunately for me, i have an office 9-5 with almost an hour commute each way so I barely have time to work on my bike and that has set me back big time on my mechanical skills
I will keep looking for an engine. That one scouseviking pointed was good but sold when i was working on shipping it.
Will post on advrider to see if anyone can help from Japan
Thanks again everyone

#10 · (Edited)
I managed to locate another one in Italy and here is a link to their web site....
This one has no details about the mileage so you might want to use Google Translate and send him an email:thumbup:
You could call them if you speak Italian and dont mind getting up in the middle of the night due to time difference.:D:D:D
You may have to act sharpish as I imagine these engines dont hang around for long..

Vendita ricambi usati auto. MOTORE MOTO HONDA AFRICA TWIN XRV 750 -1998-

There is this one too with in Britain and with the pound being so low it might be worth checking out.

[url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-XRV-750-AFRICA-TWIN-1989-2003-BARE-ENGINE-USED-MOTORCYCLE-PARTS-/191261966082?hash=item2c8819ff02:g:DgcAAMXQVT9SqtsG

I[/URL]t might be a good idea to locate a courier that will ship an engine before you actually find one.:rolleyes:

#12 ·
BTW Fadi

If you are parting that engine, please let me know. I need left and rear covers as spares. Just to repaint later and have a choice of colors for my Rd07a. ;-) Maybe head covers too. ;-) It,s only for cosmetic purpose...

Let me know

Lee

#14 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Thank you Lee and all. I just checked the Forum. I have kinda given up and just started riding my Scorpa for Trials the last couple months because i got a donor engine from Netherlands that supposedly had the bits i wanted all working to find out crankshaft is not good. now i am sat with two engines non working and both crankshafts need fixing
already ~$2k CAD in a hole :(((

#16 · (Edited)
If you need replacement camshaft,there are a bunch on ebay in Germany.
Which one do you need?

Honda Africa twin Nockenwelle | eBay

If its a crankshaft you need,

Honda Africa twin Kurbelwelle | eBay

I hope this helps....;););)

If you need any other parts ,I have contacts in Germany if you need hard to find parts for your engine..
As I lived there for 10 years in Munich, I managed to learn the language so let me know what you need and I will see if I can help you out....:thumbup:

#17 ·
Hey Fadi,
I have looked through the link I sent you and there are two crankshafts that will suit your bike.
One is in Italy and the seller claims its only done 16000km and the second one is in Germany and the crank is new and never been used but its a higher price €820 and Hondas price was €1350..
The choice is yours and I am sure you understand the risk involved buying parts online..:thumbup:

#18 ·
Crankshaft journals can also be machined and undersized if needed. Bearings must probably still be available. Fadi seems to be an enthusiast and I still don't understand what he hasn't been rebuilding the first motors. Any competent machine shop can take measurements, and correct a problem. and now, You have two motors from which you can select the best parts ;-)

If you need guidance, there's plenty of help you can get from this forum. This engine is very simple, and basically the same as all the V-twins Honda has come up with. Not a biggie to rebuild and then enjoy riding the bike.

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks Lee, believe me, despite not knowing much mechanically i would commence on this project if i had enough time to do it. But i am a single dad with work full time 5 days a week with an hour commute each way, so barely have time to ride let alone learn and rebuild an engine. having said that i will be spending most of my free time with the mechanic who will help on this but i am stuck now because the donor engine crankshaft also is not good. the mechanic is saying needs to replace crankshaft and rods (the larger bearings are the problem).
I looked at the cost of a new or barely used crankshaft and its around 800 euro minimum shipped here. So then i looked at Falicon in florida for motorcycle crankshaft work to reground etc and the minimum bill looks like its another USD 600 -800....not to mention the labour hours for the mechanical work is now almost double from the initial estimate of 12- hours to swap engines to now its around 22 hours.. this is nuts.
Might seriously just pause it and do it myself in the future when i have better time and have someone around to support. Doesnt make sense to pay over 5500 CAD to fix my bike now .. i will get a used vstrom 650 2006 for this season (not to compare with the AT, i love the AT much more) but I can still ride a reliable good V twin engine with this vstrom this summer for little money and sell when i have my AT is fixed in the future without losing too much .. thats what am thinking to do now.
If i was in europe i would by another AT for sure
Thanks

#20 ·
An engineering workshop needs to measure your crank to see how oval the journals are and if it is repairable...
Once you know this fact ,perhaps one of the AT owners on this forum can point you in the direction of oversize crank shells.:thumbup:
Is not rocket science Fadi, just engineering and I am sure the AT cranks are well engineered and can be re-ground.;););)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.