Honda XRV Forum banner

Clean Dirty Cleaner Dirty Cleanest

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Lulu 
#1 ·
When I bought the GSA is was pretty clean but had a slight air of neglect about it. Not quite Vader's bike dirty, but it looked like it had only ever had superficial cleaning while in the hands of it's previous owner.

I washed it and spent a fair bit of time in the garage cleaning it up then I took it out. Filthy...

Washed again and spent even more time cleaning it up in the garage and then took it out. Filthy again.

Can you see a pattern forming?

Well after today's ride and another marathon cleaning session later and I'll wager the bike is cleaner than it has been for a long time. Still a bit to go but it would be nice for the weather to pick up and the roads to lose the salt and grit so I don't have to spend as much time cleaning it as riding it. :sunny:

Suppose all this time in the garage saves me having to be talked at by the missus. :toothy2:

#3 ·
i do :D:D:D:D cleaned mine last night been out in the pissing rain for a ride this morning after performing a 30k service:D more scrubbing needed :rolleyes: i keep wondering when this salt will wash away:( but you guys have it a lot worse up there;)

#4 ·
OK, some advice please :). I've not cleaned Nessie yet. She doesn't LOOK dirty, and I've done limited mileage, only in nice weather, but on some fairly messy country lanes. I'm not fussed about how she looks, but I don't want to risk corrosion. Should I be washing her regularly? And if so, what do I use? How often should I be oiling the chain - and if so, what is involved? Sorry that these are really basic questions, but I've never owned a bike before :confused::confused::confused:.

#15 ·
I find the Muchs-off stuff is great, i lightly spray the bike with cold water (in winter this gets the salt off and in summer helps the Muchs-off spread) then apply the Muchs-off all over, leave for 10 minutes so it can get to work on the grime then jet wash off (wide spread and very gently) or just use a hose. then use a bike/car shampoo and just give it a wash with a sponge/cloth or whatever.

Dry it off then use WD40 on things like key points etc to keep them from seizing and also apply ACF50 to stop corrosion, oil/lube the chain and she's all done.

It sounds a lot but it isn't really.

As for the frequency of oiling the chain then i'd have to say as often as you can, keep it well oiled at all times for a longer and safer chain life. Just spray a little on before you go out and a little when you get back, just a once over like that each time you go out will keep it in good stead :thumb: I left mine for too long and got rust all over it (DOH) but got it quickly sorted with advice from here.

HTH :)

#7 ·
You can only say that because your bike has had it's annual scrub down with an old bog brush :toothy1::toothy1::toothy2::toothy2::tongue3:

#9 ·
I spayed my bike with ACF50 in november and it has not been washed since, in fact it's 'kin filthy, and it will stay that way until they stop throwing salt about. :D

Andy.

#12 ·
The only time I actually clean my bike is when I am giving it a service, as I do checks on the bike monthly to ensure it has no seized bits and everything is working it gets cleaned so I can inspect the hidden bits without getting too dirty.

#14 ·
...roads to lose the salt and grit...
Drove back up from Lancs yesterday - judging by all the water / flooding between Lockerbie / Moffat / Leadburn there wont be any salt left on the A701, or surroundings...

#16 ·
Craig, thanks, that's just the kind of help/advice I was looking for, and is much appreciated :thumbup:. Looks like a trip to Halfrauds/the bike shop is in order for me today. Best start as I mean to go on....:blob4:

#17 ·
I agree with Craig. I used to spray the chain with chain wax every 250 miles or once a week. Oil is flung off more easily so a little drop each trip makes sense but that's gonna get tedious. I've recently bought a Loobman , which delivers the oil straight to the chain (no need for a centre stand and no risk of jamming your fingers between chain and sprocket). I believe the similar Tutoro recently won the RiDE magazine "Best Buy" triangle; it does look a slightly better design. Both cost about £20.

The chain is lubricated by grease sealed inside the O-rings. The oil or chain wax serves three purposes:
  • to allow the O-rings to slide back-and-fore easily as the chain flexes around the sprockets;
  • to reduce corrosion on the chain links;
  • to help clean the chain a little bit by taking dirt with it as it flings off*.
* You'll still need to use chain cleaner sometimes though. I guess you've seen the important warnings here about cleaning the chain.

#18 ·
Great, thanks chaps for all your advice. Looks like Nessie will be treated to a regular regime of oil lubing then :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.