crf 250 x reliability

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: crf 250 x reliability

boney is offline Member
    Thanks

crf 250 x reliability

hi
    im seriously thinking of buying an 07 crf 250 x are they reliable ?

cheers dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

scotsy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: crf 250 x reliability

I would think they are reliable as long as the valve shims are checked regularly and kept in spec and the air filter is kept clean. Regular oil/filter changes as per manual and piston changed as often as Honda reccomends should help but buying used is always a worry as previous owners might have skimped. Then again i recently bought a 2005 450X from a chap who was fastidious and got a cracking bike!!!

Good luck
    Ian

phil w is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Heres a good place to get loads of info
    CRF250X - ThumperTalk
    Crackin 250 I rekon and one I really fancy ownin, the main thing with these enduro bikes is the valve shim part of its servicing which I wouldnt have a clue how to do
    Oil is critical has it only hold an egg cup full I think
    Mel from this site owned one and changed the valves to steel ones and never reported any problems, even rode it from Southampton to the Ace Cafe once !! But I think his was geared for flat lands as opposed to my requirements of steep slopes!!
    It won a 4 bike shoot out in TBM a couple of years ago as it was so useable

boney is offline Member
    Thanks

thanks guys
    i read somewhere a new piston every 50 hours is this right ?also there does seem to be a lot of valve trouble with the early engines just wondered if honda have sorted the problems with the later models can any one confirm this

cheers dave

scotsy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boney View Post
    thanks guys
    i read somewhere a new piston every 50 hours is this right ?also there does seem to be a lot of valve trouble with the early engines just wondered if honda have sorted the problems with the later models can any one confirm this

cheers dave
    Dave, for accuracy i just looked in my 2005 450X manual and the maintenence chart says piston and rings should be REPLACED after 6 'races' or 15 hours of running and the piston pin after every 12 'races' or 30 hours of running

I myself use the 450x mainly for trail riding and that means being out all day and i can tell you now...it ain't getting a piston anytime soon i must have done 50 hours since i bought it a few months ago (the previous owner had 'just' replaced the piston kit, he was very keen on maintenance) and i change the oil in both engine and transmission after every 2/3 rides. Keeping the air filter clean is also a must. I am expecting to run this piston for at least 200 hours before it needs checking.

A mate of mine has one still running the original piston but he only does pottering around on green lanes and trails

The 250X might need more maintenence but only if its used as a 'race' machine and why would anyone do that when the CRF250R is faster , lighter and handles better?

Its a Honda

ian

boney is offline Member
    Thanks

hi ian
    yeh i will only be using it for greenlaning and maybe the odd enduro i love the look of the crf that alloy frame looks the business i have thought about the 450 maybe a bit to much go for me and i like light bikes not that the 450 must be that heavy
    cheers dave

phil w is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

You would appreciate the 250 if you are running around Welsh style bogs and forests, especially with a 280 kit apparently awesome. Normal style lanes the 450 would be better with expected road work in between being dispatched with ease. But the odd enduro H&H stuff your back to the 250... tough choice

XRDAVE is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

The 250X is very reliable. Once the OE titanium valves start to wear they go very quickly, needing constant re-shimming. Once that happens replace with steel valves and you won't have any problems. As others have said, if you're not racing then the pistons will go on and on. A 280 kit with the cam from an R is a good option for extra performance and doesn't seem to affect reliability at all. All in all they are great bikes!

gpzDave is offline Now on a BMW R1100RS.
    Thanks

I thought titanium was more durable than steel

jasonbc is offline The Angry Pasty Muncher
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scotsy View Post
    Dave, for accuracy i just looked in my 2005 450X manual and the maintenence chart says piston and rings should be REPLACED after 6 'races' or 15 hours of running and the piston pin after every 12 'races' or 30 hours of running

I myself use the 450x mainly for trail riding and that means being out all day and i can tell you now...it ain't getting a piston anytime soon i must have done 50 hours since i bought it a few months ago (the previous owner had 'just' replaced the piston kit, he was very keen on maintenance) and i change the oil in both engine and transmission after every 2/3 rides. Keeping the air filter clean is also a must. I am expecting to run this piston for at least 200 hours before it needs checking.

A mate of mine has one still running the original piston but he only does pottering around on green lanes and trails

The 250X might need more maintenence but only if its used as a 'race' machine and why would anyone do that when the CRF250R is faster , lighter and handles better?

Its a Honda

ian
    Service schedule on my gasgas is the same 12hours for rings oil every 12hours 3 races for pistons. If you go by that you'll spend more time taking them apart than riding them if you aren't losing compression and do regular checks and services don't worry about nearly all modern bikes have nicasil barrells and modern oil are so much better than they used to be. The early crf450 did suffer from top end and were basically a 1 season bike for racing they used to revs so hard they put the valves into the head i think thats been sorted now but the race teams used to remove the standard valves and put titanium one in instead. I know a few people who have crf 230's and 250's not heard of any major drama's with them people seem happy with them
    HONDA VARADERO 99. NWS HUGGER, SCOTTOILER, HARD WIRED GPS, HEADLIGHT PROTECTOR, HEPCO @ BECKER LUGGAGE, GIVI CRASHBARS, GIVI TOP BOX, AUDICATOR BRAKE TEXT UNIT

GASGAS EC300 2006

MITSUBISHI L200 WARRIOR 2004 IN BLACK

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast