I got one! - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I got one!

Bounder is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: I got one!

Great to see you are still in love!
    The Dominator is a great bike, even 29 years after they first appeared they still perform and handle well.
    Parts supply is plentiful even if the bikes themselves are getting harder to find in decent condition.
    Hard to believe the engine is still in production after all this time but it ensures that they will be supported for a while yet!
    Anyone who has owned one has good things to say about them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Bobn is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Stalling - before you go messing about changing jets try turning the pilot mixture screw out 1/2 turn more. Otherwise search my posts for "Stalling", there's one where I talk about the "body emulsion jet" (a name I made up) which in my experience is the usual culprit for unreliable tickover on these.

Tappet noise - yes, some is acceptable but be very, very wary, I've seen enough trashed cams on these bikes to walk away from anything that's making any sort of real noise. Your tappets should sound like "titititi", if you're hearing more of a "shlackshlackshlack" that gets louder as the engine heats up then your cam's probably on the way out. These engines are mostly good but the top ends are the weakest part, run it low on oil, even a little bit and it'll eat the cam. Run it too long without adjusting the valves and it'll eat the cam. Run it too hot for too long and it'll eat the cam.... you get the picture.

Get an oil temperature dipstick, it replaces the standard one in the frame tank, then you can keep an eye on temperature. From my experience these engines get hottest when they're making the most power e.g. on the motorway. Ticking over and off roading (of which I do a lot) will slightly increase the temperature but nothing too much. The biggest danger with extended idling is low oil pressure, I don't idle mine any other time than traffic lights - I never sit in a queue.

Change the oil and filter immediately and then every 1000 miles after that. Adjust the valve clearances at the same interval - these are not low maintenance bikes.

Check your oil level after every ride (read up here on why you can't check it before).

Grease the rear suspension linkage bearings. If you can't immediately pop out the bolt that holds the link to the frame (right behind the engine) or the bolt that holds the knuckle to the swing arm you'll not get them out without an angle grinder. Replacement bearing sleeves and bolts are still available.

Grease the exhaust header nuts with Coppaslip.
    Current Fleet:
    1999 FX650
    2001 FX650
    2002 FX650
    2003 FX650
    1998 KE100
    Past rides: TTR600,XT600E, KLE500(*4),FX650(*7),SLR650(*4),DL650,KLE500,F650, G650X,XJ900,TDM850(*2),XJ600(*3),FJ1200(*2),GS750( *4),GS1000,Z1000,GSXR750(*4),R1100GS,R80,GT550,VX8 00,GT250,ETZ250,TS250,TS185,TS125,KE175,CB250RS,Z2 00,C90,ETZ125,TS350,FZS600(*3),FZR600(*3),FZ750,GS 550,Monkey125,T80,GP100,CD200,RD200,GN400,CX500 and many others I've forgotten

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobn For This Useful Post:

Sohoeasy (14-02-17)

Sohoeasy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Great to see you are still in love Jamie. As you know my lovely went away a few weeks ago, but I'll have a "happy ending" story to tell you come the weekend.
    Here we Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm feeling much better now. www.bigtrailie.co.uk

6. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

scouseviking is online now Senior Member
    Thanks

I dont use my Dommie much these days as i have a second bike...I never fell in love with it after spending all my money getting it the way I want it..
    I plan to give it to my son once he has learned how to look after it properly.
    Its still a great bike that can have me grinning like a fool when i do go out on it.

Vincent Velocette is offline Junior Member
    Thanks
    Bike looks great! Where did you get your screen from. I am on the lookout for a wind deflector.
    Cheers

willywombat64 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

loved mine and got it really sorted but wanted it to do everything including off road and soon came to realize that the excess plastic would get wrecked easily and didn't want to spoil it so i'm now sorting an XT600 . As Bobn said initial stalling at lights etc was quickly cured by a tweak on the mixture screw and checking valve clearances.
    Last edited by willywombat64; 15-02-17 at 12:01 PM.

JamieB76 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

The screen was already on the bike when I purchased it, I'm pretty sure I can make out GIVI in one of the corners although when I previously Googled GIVI screens I couldn't see this one.

My stalling issues are a lot better now, I cant remember what I did exactly, mixture of the screw and the valves I think, plus I sorted the manifold leaks from the exhaust.

Bike seems to run OK at the moment. I will be refurbing the bike when I get my new one so watch this space for some interesting pics over the next few months and I'm sure lots of questions. Probably start around April/May time.
    Honda NX650 1996 - Daily commuter

willywombat64 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

I bought Givi touring screen ...looked same as above and it was the worst accessory I've ever added to a bike . I tried it in numerous positions, different heights/angles and in desperation set it up with a gap at the bottom which sometimes smooths turbulence.( not in this case!) the buffeting and noise produced by the screen was horrendous even at slow speeds and ruined the ride. I wouldn't have believed how bad it could be and was so much better without it fitted.
    suprisingly i eventually fitted a screen that worked well ..protection/noise wise and that was just an old kawasaki screen sourced from a car boot sale and bolted in place . If I were Jamie I'd remove the screen and try it ...he may well be pleasantly surprised ...or maybe it's a height thing? ( i'm 6ft 2 ).

650 Fred is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

How you getting on with the LED headlight bulb is it proving to be any good
    Current toys
    1993 CB1000 (Big one)
    1994 RD07
    1996 Modified NX650
    2001 XR400
    2016 CRF 1000L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2