Head Bearing Replacement - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Head Bearing Replacement

JamieB76 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Head Bearing Replacement

No joke that is the worst job I have ever done and its not over yet.

Before taking in a task I do plenty of research and watch a number of youtube videos, read forums blogs etc. Every single one has mentioned a lip on the frame races that you can hook up a chisel or screw driver to drive the race out. I'm not kidding you there was no lip or if we are going to split hairs no lip of any use.

I have had a complete and utter nightmare getting the races out of the frame. I have had to take a break as I had to pick my daughter up from nursery but will be back in the garage as soon as the other half gets in.

I thought getting the bearing race of the yoke was fairly straight forward compared to the frame ones. I would never recommend this job to anyone!

OK its probably like child birth or running a marathon, in a few weeks I will forget the stress and consider doing this sort of job again if me and the bike live long enough. So for all you Dominator head bearing non virgins, how the hell did you get the races out of the frame?

At the moment the bike is sitting on a box, forks back on, bars on lose, I just need to put the brakes back on, reroute the clutch cable and sort a few other bits. Once off the box fuel tank back on and fairings and test ride. Probably do the test ride tomorrow, well it will be as I am running out of time today.

I was going to replace all the bulbs in the dash as well while the fairings are off.

Would really like to hear hhow you folks get your races out?
    Honda NX650 1996 - Daily commuter

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks

No joke that is the worst job I have ever done and its not over yet.

Before taking in a task I do plenty of research and watch a number of youtube videos, read forums blogs etc. Every single one has mentioned a lip on the frame races that you can hook up a chisel or screw driver to drive the race out. I'm not kidding you there was no lip or if we are going to split hairs no lip of any use.

I have had a complete and utter nightmare getting the races out of the frame. I have had to take a break as I had to pick my daughter up from nursery but will be back in the garage as soon as the other half gets in.

I thought getting the bearing race of the yoke was fairly straight forward compared to the frame ones. I would never recommend this job to anyone!OK its probably like child birth or running a marathon, in a few weeks I will forget the stress and consider doing this sort of job again if me and the bike live long enough. So for all you Dominator head bearing non virgins, how the hell did you get the races out of the frame?

At the moment the bike is sitting on a box, forks back on, bars on lose, I just need to put the brakes back on, reroute the clutch cable and sort a few other bits. Once off the box fuel tank back on and fairings and test ride. Probably do the test ride tomorrow, well it will be as I am running out of time today. I was going to replace all the bulbs in the dash as well while the fairings are off
    Would really like to hear how you folks get your races out?

ian6760 is offline Member
    Thanks

Shite, it sound like you had a nightmare mate. I suppose I was just lucky and it's down to the individual bearing race and variations in manufacturers. The more taper they have, the more meat you have to swing a hammer at. Maybe the ones on my bike had been changed before as I remember that when I bought them they were advertised as an improvement on the originals.

The roller bearing on the yoke was stuck on fast, I cut a grove in it with a dremel and gave it a good smack with a cold chisel. A few good smacks and the casting just brakes and comes lose.

Yes telling the tale was easier than the job itself, but there's no satisfaction if there's no blood, snot, tears and swearing. I garentee the next time will be easier.

That's what the wife said as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Bobn is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

I have seen it before where after market bearing cups don't sit proud of the headstock tube and therefore don't present any lip to get a drift onto.
    In the past I've used a die grinder (big dremmel) to cut a groove in the cup and relieve some of the tension. Also I've welded a bar across the race and then used the bar to drift the race out from above.
    Agreed though, for me headstock bearing replacement is my least favourite of any repair job on a motorcycle.
    Current Fleet:
    1999 FX650 Red
    1999 FX650 Blue
    2001 FX650 Yellow
    2002 FX650 Blue
    2003 FX650 Yellow
    2003 FX650 Yellow
    1998 KE100
    Past rides: TTR600,XT600E, KLE500(*4),FX650(*7),SLR650(*4),DL650,KLE500,F650, G650X,XJ900,TDM850(*2),XJ600(*3),FJ1200(*2),GS750( *4),GS1000,Z1000,GSXR750(*4),R1100GS,R80,GT550,VX8 00,GT250,ETZ250,TS250,TS185,TS125,KE175,CB250RS,Z2 00,C90,ETZ125,TS350,FZS600(*3),FZR600(*3),FZ750,GS 550,Monkey125,T80,GP100,CD200,RD200,GN400,CX500 and many others I've forgotten

Thanks

Last night I spent some more time reading up on bearing race removal from the head/frame. Looks like having a welder to hand would have made the job a lot simpler. Maybe next time I will have one to hand.

The great news is, no more wheel wobble. OK let me explain, while researching my refurb project I was looking up thee head bearings and read a notchy feel means replacement is required as is handle bar wobble if you take your hands off at speed. For a while the bearing has felt notchy but then I wasnt sure if I was imagining things as the bike past its MOT. When I learnt about the bar/wheel wobble test I tried this and yes my bike had that symptom as well.

The bottom race had a lot of marks and clearly needed replacing. So I was partially happy yesterday the job did need doing. This morning I put the rest of the bike back together and road tested. Removed my hands at speed and no wobble. Very happy man today, all the grief was worth it and fixed a problem.

Next up, replace all the fairing mounts (screws) as the vibration and noise of plastic rattling is getting annoying. Nice easy cheap job.

Bounder is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

A good bead of weld around the inner part of a race will often allow it to drop out when cooled, if it doesn't come loose then do another one, the heat helps and the subsequent shrinkage of the weld will pull the cup inwards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2