Head Bearing Replacement

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head Bearing Replacement

JamieB76 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Head Bearing Replacement

Hi Guys,

Any recommendations for a replacement head bearing?

This one any good? Honda NX 650 T Dominator RD08 (Nissin Front Caliper) 96 Tapered Headrace Bearing Set (Japan) Parts at Wemoto - The UK's No.1 On-Line Motorcycle Parts Retailer

Also can you confirm, if I am to get the frame powder coated in August, can the part of the bearing that stays in the frame remain in the frame or would I need to try and remove without damaging? I think the head bearing has gone which is why I need to replace now.

Basically if I let go of the bars at speed there is a lot of wheel wobble which according to you tube is a sign the head bearing is going going gone and also it feels a bit notchy. The notchy feeling could be something to do with my spot wiring but don't think it is. I will be getting the bike in the air on Friday and think I will attempt to change the head bearing.

Looking on you tube I don't seem to need any special tools, just a drift, hammer and possible a dremmel if I get stuck. If it doesn't work out I guess I can just start my refurb a few months early.
    Honda NX650 1996 - Daily commuter

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

scouseviking is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Head Bearing Replacement

You could get the bearings here if you know the size,I find Wemoto to be expensive and sometimes not genuine parts but chinese copy,s

Taper Roller Bearings: Metric & Imperial Sized Tapered Roller Bearings.

Its not a hard job removing the bits you dont need from the steering head ,if a small hammer dont work ,just use a bigger one.
    I noticed a serious improvement in the handling on my Dommie..
    Dont forget to use loads of the correct grease when you fit the new taper roller bearing in.
    Last edited by scouseviking; 16-05-17 at 10:10 AM.

Bounder is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

You can leave the races in place, just make sure they are blanked off with a couple of pieces of flat stock and a length of threaded bar to hold them in place.
    Are you going to have the frame blasted before painting?
    Be very careful with how the oil tank and associated fittings is blanked off, the last thing you need is for blast media to find its way into the oil system.
    Have a think about soda blasting its more gentle and doesn't promote flash rust like sand or grit.
    One more thing if you feel up to the task think about drilling and tapping the headstock for a grease nipple, you can then pump grease into them every few rides, keeps the dirt and water out.
    Don't worry about the frame getting hot and the grease dripping out either.
    Last edited by Bounder; 16-05-17 at 03:57 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks

I'm planning on getting the frame and the swing arm and probably the rear light mount and headlight mount blasted and painted during August. Not 100% sure what method of blasting is used but will be looking for a recommended company near Sidcup in Kent when I'm ready. Just want to make sure the races, if left in the head wont be damaged. I supposed for £30 I could just replace again but don't want to waste money.

I had originally planned to do more of a refurb of the bike but the new one has cost me a lot with all the extra security and insurance etc.

I will make sure all the appropriate bits are blanked off thoroughly and make sure the people blasting and painting are fully aware of the oil in frame.

thanks guys..

Scotty97 is offline Member
    Thanks
    Just reading this post and will also be having a frame blasted and powder coated soon (hopefully haha).
    How do you recommend blanking of the oil pipes etc in frame??

Bounder is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

I haven't done it, If I did I'd be using lots of rubber hosing and bolts in all holes , I'm not a fan of powdercoat TBH, I prefer the look of conventional paint and if you chip or scratch powdercoat you can't just touch it up.
    Genuine John Deere Alkyd Enamel is some seriously tough paint, cheap enough for good paint if you want to go that road.

ian6760 is offline Member
    Thanks

Jamie.

When I changed the head bearing on my bike the race came out and didn't appear to have any damage what so ever. However if you are planning on coating the frame soon I would just get it done before replacing the head bearings. I've had a few things coated in the past and the good guys seal up any threaded parts of the frame and bearing seats, the shit ones don't. I now just ask what they will be doing before I hand it over to them.

Thanks

One other thing, what type of grease? the red stuff or the LM stuff?

scouseviking is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieB76 View Post
    One other thing, what type of grease? the red stuff or the LM stuff?
    Just use what you can lay your hands on, it dont have to be high temperature or any special type.
    Just make sure you use loads as i doubt you will be seeing them again once they are done...

Bobn is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

I'd be bloody careful masking off the oil tank connections - personally I wouldn't allow blasting media anywhere near an OIF motorcycle frame.

On the H/S bearings pretty much any set will be OK, I factor in bi-annual replacement anyway. The only hard bit is getting the lower race off the bottom yolk. I apply a lot of heat and use a blunted cold chisel to get it going, then use a bearing puller to remove it. The heat will destroy the lower rubber seal but your new bearing kit should come with a new one.
    Current Fleet:
    1999 FX650 Red
    1999 FX650 Blue
    2001 FX650 Yellow
    2002 FX650 Blue
    2003 FX650 Yellow
    2003 FX650 Yellow
    1998 KE100
    Past rides: TTR600,XT600E, KLE500(*4),FX650(*7),SLR650(*4),DL650,KLE500,F650, G650X,XJ900,TDM850(*2),XJ600(*3),FJ1200(*2),GS750( *4),GS1000,Z1000,GSXR750(*4),R1100GS,R80,GT550,VX8 00,GT250,ETZ250,TS250,TS185,TS125,KE175,CB250RS,Z2 00,C90,ETZ125,TS350,FZS600(*3),FZR600(*3),FZ750,GS 550,Monkey125,T80,GP100,CD200,RD200,GN400,CX500 and many others I've forgotten

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast