Honda XRV Forum banner

Domminator project complete!!

45K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Austin 
#1 · (Edited)
Honda Dominator project complete!!

Finally finished at the weekend my first custom bike hope you like it :)

#14 ·
What a beatiful retro looking back lane scratcher

Even with the TKCs on you'll have great fun on the twisties pushing sportsbike riders

My mate recently had an XBR500 in similar trim. I used to race with him many years ago for different manufacturers and sponsors. Up to 100 mph he would blitz many a sportsbike rider

#15 ·
My initial idea was to restore my tired old dommie but thought it would be a more interesting project to build my very own custom jobbie:D

First to go was three inches from the rear subframe uprights and the addition of a frame loop.
Next was the addition of a 19 inch front wheel from an slr 650 which lowered the whole thing nicely.

#17 ·
Next on the list was basically refurbing with lots of new bits - brakes, bearings, motor rebuild and paint etc etc.
The exhaust was made by a guy in the states called jon easton(jemco exhaust ltd), his workshop turns out flattrack performance pipes for allsorts of bikes and was a reasonable £300 incl delivery! Only downside was i had to wait four months for it as he is very busy.
It makes an awesome deep growling sound and was the look i was after.
The tank came from an old cg125, the seat was home made out of fiberglass as was the piece behind it.
The headlight came from trail tech u.s. as did the speedo unit which has very handy oil temp guage facility.
I painted everything myself in my shed and hey presto! 6 months later it lives:sunny:
Goes like stink :p handles ok and brakes well too due to the weight loss.

#20 ·
I would find that impossible to ride.

Namely because I'd always be sitting on the ground next to it, gawking at it!!!

It is very nice... I like...is good!!

#21 ·
that is one cracking looking bike - if its not in any of the bike mags it should be :thumbup::thumbup:

Awsome job on the exhaust too :happy7:

#23 ·
Man, ye have made an amazin job fae an aul dommie.... can ye tell us again what ye done to the frame by cutting it an where ? to shorten it an bring the back end that kicks up down I take it.... lovely job,, as someone else said there,,,, Call Back street hereos up.. they would definatly run a page or two on it.... Respect............... me

#24 ·
Thanks again to everybody for the compliments, the reaction i get from people when they see the bike continues to surprise me!
The question they ask the most is "what is it" :confused:
Which i guess is good? not sure really but they seem to like it especially the forty somethings like me:)

Regarding afk's question the frame was chopped at rear subframe upright sections (the bit where the rear footpeg brackets bolt up)
I took approx 3 inches out on the straight bit. My guide was the bottom of the engine cradle and aimed to have both level, once this was achieved i then added the rear loop which i made from some steel elctrical conduit was a good match size wise and super cheap!
cheers.

#25 ·
:thumbright: You are a talented man indeed.

I think the head lamp is spot on!

A small one would just have made it into a well excecuted Flattrack styled XR'ish lump Honda, but with this lamp it breaks the style pattern and turns it into something individual and even better.

And the exhaust system is awsome!

//Kjell

#26 ·
Well done that man :thumbright:

Gets my vote ..................... Awesome :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: love it

How much ??????????????????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.