Honda mtx 125 running problems...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Honda mtx 125 running problems...

brazier is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

Honda mtx 125 running problems...

Hi guys, . Have brought myself a 1993 mtx 125, im using it for a little commuting and green lanes. Having loads of fun on it but a few annoying issues have popped up. Firstly, it kicks over and starts well. But then dies off and stops shortly after starting and once this has happened she's a pig to get going again. But once it's warm and run in, this problem stops.. any ideas as to whats causing this problem??

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Could this be caused by incorrect idle speed??

alias is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Honda mtx 125 running problems...

I could only hazard a guess maybe it needs a new plug maybe its the wrong grade of plug the exhaust might be all coked up and need a clean out by removing the baffle from the silencer and cleaning it maybe the whole expansion chamber ? . you have to educate yourself in the ways of the 2 stroke . put your questions in the google search bar and you will find plenty of info on it . good luck with it . I have fond memories of doing lessons on a mtx in 1992 with csm in Romford lovely bikes to ride .

5. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanks, I have come to the conclusion that theres nothing wrong with the bike. Just the way i was starting it... i have it down now. Keeping the revs up for 5min before setting off to get it warm seems to have solved the problem. This is my first bike and im having loads of fun on it, passed my cbt on saturday so im a little green when it comes to these things.. many thanks

alias is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

good to hear you have it sussed out . I have the idea from years ago that 2 strokes need plenty of revs to keep themselves clean and not fouling plugs maybe that's from back in the days of air cooled bikes with mineral oil they didn't like mooching around real slow in traffic but at the same time if you ride it really hard all the time it wont last too long and it will empty a tank pretty quick . you should get right stuck in and learn all about 2 strokes maybe you can even derestrict it if its not done already to free up some more power and then you can ride around every where up on the back wheel

Thanks
    It's running really well, and is alot less smokey after riding 15 miles to and from work a couple of times. Nows the question of what 2 stroke to use.. i have bought Mobil 1 full synthetic race 2t, after looking on the web they surgest only using this in more modern engines as it requires more heat than the older engines ( race should have been the clue ). They seem to say i should not use synthetic oil full or part. So i guess the only other option would be mineral? Some say at 33:1 and others 44:1 or the standard 50:1, confusing. I will start off at 50:1 mineral and see how i get on... i'll be leaving it standard until im happy and comfortable (Bored) with the way she goes, and then i will start derestricting. Should be good for flinging mud at my bro and mate when they get to close on the green lanes.

Crusty is offline Member
    Thanks

Please don't use mineral at 50:1, that sort of ratio is for semi/fully-synthetics, Run Mineral at 33:1.
    Running a modern oil will not harm your Engine

+ Reply to Thread