Best way to touch up powder coating?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best way to touch up powder coating?

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Best way to touch up powder coating?

There are some scratches on my frame from fitting the engine, the powder coaters said a normal Halfords touch up kit will do the job but just wondered if this will be the best method? Is there anything better?!

I know naff all about paint...

Thanks
    -=[1998 XRV750 RD07A]=-

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Mervinh is online now Stone Crazy
    Thanks

Re: Best way to touch up powder coating?

I would personally use plastikote the halfrauds touch up dissolves at the sight of petrol.get soem brush on plastikote black, or poor second choice smoothrite but it gets very hard and chips easily
    merv
    Classic Japbikefest 2 http://www.vjmc.com/japbikefest/ Sunday 14th september 2014 10am haynes motor museum

chatts is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

Hi all, I'm new on these forums, just looking through old posts to get as much help as poss in all areas. See a few people wanting touch ups for powder coating. Theres a company in Wigan called Oxyplast, sell powder coating but also some nifty little touch up pens, just ask your powder coater for a tiny amount of the colour you need and you put it in the pen and get a perfect colour match comes out on little brush.I bought some of these and have fixed up the kids bikes even scratches on the washing machine. I haven't got a bike yet still trying to convince hubby to let me get one. Any way they do work. I've seen them on ebay occasionally. Also think this company may sell them with colour already in.

Regards Chatts

paulc is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chatts View Post
    Hi all, I'm new on these forums, just looking through old posts to get as much help as poss in all areas. See a few people wanting touch ups for powder coating. Theres a company in Wigan called Oxyplast, sell powder coating but also some nifty little touch up pens, just ask your powder coater for a tiny amount of the colour you need and you put it in the pen and get a perfect colour match comes out on little brush.I bought some of these and have fixed up the kids bikes even scratches on the washing machine. I haven't got a bike yet still trying to convince hubby to let me get one. Any way they do work. I've seen them on ebay occasionally. Also think this company may sell them with colour already in.

Regards Chatts
    Tried these at work as I am a powder coater ,all in all there not a bad idea at all,seem to do the job as a cover up ,but,''yes there has to be a but'' they will not stand up to the same abuse powder coating alone would do.
    Ok here it comes again ''but'' if you want to just touch up powder coating get your required powder add a little thinners to make a paste and fill the chip with that and wait a day or two to dry ,finnish ''as long as it's smooth paint you have and not textured'' with wet-an-dry and buff it with T-Cut,for a semi matt finnish try Vim carefully
    VARADERO VA5 Black, The Devil Made Me Do It Hosifer!

+ Reply to Thread