Honda XRV Forum banner
23K views 109 replies 18 participants last post by  Amordy 
#1 · (Edited)
70th Anniversary Dambuster run...

you know the story, you've probably seen the film, some have been to the Mohne

Not many have been to all the dams that were hit or targeted. If you wish to join me on a camping long weekend over the Spring Bank Holiday then shout.
The camp sites used in previous years will used again so the first night will be camping on the Bever lake in view of the Dam and then ride out the Eder for the Saturday night, taking in as many sweeping bends as possiple in the bike friendly area of the "Higher Sauerland District". Visiting the dams on route that were hit during the bombing raids of Op Chastise and camping again on the banks of the Eder river. The Sunday starting with visiting the Ederdam and Schloss Waldeck then off to the Mohne and "Frikadelle" at Wolfgangs before heading back to start point and campsite at the Bever

post updated with info, pics and names
So far we have....
Rick of Pendle
AccyImp
John C

Steve R
Reevie
Sean
BobA
Amordy

Bulldog

Sprinty from TLD Five Capitals

and a dozen others from ABR:thumbright:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I'm only an hour away from the dams, I'll probably be on site from Thursday evening to meet any one planning on coming early

A short run down of what's planned so far.
Camping at the below linked sites, then the Saturday start to tour, for those that dont want to explore on their own I'll lead a group around the Dams that were hit during Op CHASTISE and repeat what I've read on Wiki about the raid

Friday and Sunday night here

www.ig-bever.de/igbever/web.nsf/id/pa_de_zelten.html
Last time we had a price of €7 per night and hopefully we'll get that again I can check when they open again late March. on the website there are two address the satnav address is
Käfernberg 25
Hückeswagen

For the Saturday night, this campsite
They hold a HOG meet every year, are very bike friendly, restaurant and bar on site. With enough people they will open the grill hut and bar, its a five star campsite with all amenities. I've stayed there and can vouch for the cleanliness and area
Camping & Ferienpark Teichmann, Edersee, Waldeck - Herzhausen
[URL="http://www.camping-teichmann.de/index/camping.php?sub_heading=jugenzeltplatz"]www.ferienpark-camping.de/index/camping....ading=jugenzeltplatz

€5,90 per person
€2,60 per bike
€4,40 per tent

There are over 30 dams in the county and nearly 80 in the area spreading east to the Eder
These are bike friendly roads with tons of bikers cafes dotted along the shores of many of them, the rough route from the first camp site to the Eder campsite cuts through the North Germany skiing resort, not the alps but very hilly and lots of great roads.
We could make a mini photo rally, the one who snaps the most dams during daylight hours wins a prize.
Alun ran an article in issue 6 so I'm sure the next one will have a fair few schnitzles and beers

I'll add a list of those coming or showing a strong interest so pass the word round, with meets it's always the more the merrier, over previous years I think everyone enjoyed themselves so it should be another great weekend.

[/URL]

#4 ·
I'm only an hour away from the dams, I'll probably be on site from Thursday evening to meet any one planning on coming early
That's good to know. Hoping to get back there sometime this coming year. Last time we stayed at a nice wee campsite in Edertal for the Eder which was really nice (but small) and at a little place on the south bank of the Mhone on the Arnsburg road which was beautiful but somewhat remote.

What's this Bever place like then?

#5 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Sounds great and checked work calendar and am free. Just have to negotiate with SWMBO but I seem to recall that following her getting very drunk at a work's Xmas party she agreed to go on a girls' weekend to Berlin next year so I have the upper hand :p

#18 · (Edited)
I am trying to manouvre myself to allow a few days away in late May and subject to the farm workload would like to join you Guys. I have never been North of Cologne, preferring to head Sarf, where the sun shines, so the run and the area would all be new to me.

Is there an interesting run across though, from either Hook or Dunkirk? The alternative is the mad 3-4hr Motorway blast, but that is no fun at all and I would like to have a bit of scenery and some nice roads either there or back, even if it takes longer. ;)

#11 ·
Looking promising - mentioned it to SWMBO and although she's gone a bit cold about her Berlin weekend she offered no opposition to me doing this trip.
Checked the ferry prices from Hull and it would be £222 for the Thursday night over and Monday night back with a two berth to myself
I'll block the days out at work tomorrow

John :p

#12 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Thanks for that Snaphappy

The extra 385 miles adds another £41 in fuel to the Harwich option so they are not that far apart. The advantage of Hull is it is 35 miles away and I can do a full days work on the Thursday and make the evening ferry. On the return I can be in work mid-morning or lunchtime at the latest

Gives me two options now though!

Any idea when this will be confirmed as a definite goer?

#19 ·
As I've never ridden abroad, only driven in the car, do I need the same sort of stuff to comply with Dutch and German road laws?

Hi-viz, spare bulbs, warning triangle, first aid kit?

My number plate does not have a GB on it - do I need to get one made?

Thanks folks

John

#20 ·
I've been busy with AccyImp and sorted out our ferry.

We've booked Hull to Rotterdam on Friday 24th, meeting up with everyone, then having the remainder touring, returning on the Saturday 1st Ferry.

A couple of mates would like to tag along if that's ok.

We would arrive in the area late Saturday afternoon.
Would the stay be 2 or 3 nights. Does the site have bunkhouses, we are not sure yet about camping.

RoP :cool:

#23 ·
I take it the stop over is just Sat and Sun nights, then we are all on our separate ways.
I found a couple of Hotels in Huckeswagen, if you can recommend some more I would appreciate it.
The choice of accommodation has to cater for accyimp who is very careful with his money. :grin:

RoP:cool:

#24 ·
Really fancy this one, just need to see how the land lies business wise.

As for the hi Viz, bulbs, and warning triangle, it is illegal both in Holland and Germany not to carry them--- Basically should you break down you must display a warning triangle and don a high viz, also if you see a speed limit on the auto Bahn ------stick to it otherwise you will be forking out for more than just the ferry and hotel costs :(

#25 ·
Anybody else arriving at the Hook of Holland/Europort on the Friday morning? Could team up and head on to Bever lake together

I have a mate in Weisbaden and may extend by a day to go down and see him on the Monday but he hasn't got back to me yet so still planning to return on the Monday at the moment

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.