1974 DT Yamaha DT175 can you help with my problem

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1974 DT Yamaha DT175 can you help with my problem

astrokan is offline Member
    Thanks

1974 DT Yamaha DT175 can you help with my problem

Hi,
    I know this is not a Honda but my other bike is an RD04 and i know you know a lot about bikes so can i pick your brains???. im currently in the states and have been riding around on a beautiful old 1974 two stroke Yamaha DT 175 (the girlfriend hates the smell of a 2 stroke but i think it rekindles my youth so she will have to learn to love it!!! )
    the problem with it is that its fine up through the gears until it gets to 5th then at 4000 revs it splutters and wont pick up.
    the carb set up is as it should be, points are good and there are new reed valves- but the spark plug is slightly wet and oily, i have checked the oil injecter and it leaks small drips of oil that builds up in in the crank case which i need to empty every once in a while. can i bypass the injecter by premixing the oil/fuel (30:1 mix ratio i think) would this damage this old classic bike and would this malfunction cause the plug to become fouled.
    Any ideas
    Many thanks
    Ian
    Last edited by astrokan; 02-07-10 at 01:03 AM.
    1990 RD04, heated grips, scot oiler, 12v take off, givi wing racks, crash bars, tank cover umm...new head race bearings

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Austin is offline 2 bikes = twice as happy
    Thanks

Re: 1974 DT Yamaha DT175 can you help with my problem

I had what was probably the later model with a single shock -a DT175MX. I had continual problems with the alternator windings mostly manifesting as a weak spark, with misfires and very difficult starting. A weak spark plus a heavy load on the engine in a high gear tends to result in a misfire. A rewind of the alternator was the cure. I think the alternator is shared with air colled RD yamahas of the era.

Other than that it's a two stroke so as I am sure you know, very sensitive to carburation, air filter, reed valves and exhaust. A build up of 2 stroke in the crank doesn't sound good to me either. Running rich and or to much oil or someone has been playing with something in an attempt to tune it.

Not much help this really and it's over 25 years since I had mine. I would love another if a good one came up at the right price. Not sure they are proper classics but were bloody good bikes.

raymo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

my sons old feild bike was the watercooled version and that.. ran fine on a 25/1 oil in Tank mix, as the oil injection was removed, ( along with most of the stuff not needed to thrash around a field )

great wee bike, smoked like a 1930 french whore
    XLV 750Rf RD01 1985 Simple and Sweet
    XL 600V R Transalp 1994 Stella Basher
    DR 600 Raider 1985 Knee Smasher
    XRV 750R RD03+ 1988 Frankathon spawn of the Transalp and RD01 , and a1992 750 Marathon kit
    XRV 650R RD03 1989
    The Longest Day Rider 6
    TLD 2008 John-O-Groats to Lands End 14h 50m 880 miles
    TLD 2009 5 capitals 23h 50m 700 miles
    TLD 2010 Run for the Sun 19h 30m.
    TLD 2011 Tower to Tower 17h 700m+ one channel Tunnel and arrived in time to watch the Eiffel Tower lights go on

jasonbc is offline The Angry Pasty Muncher
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by astrokan View Post
    Hi,
    I know this is not a Honda but my other bike is an RD04 and i know you know a lot about bikes so can i pick your brains???. im currently in the states and have been riding around on a beautiful old 1974 two stroke Yamaha DT 175 (the girlfriend hates the smell of a 2 stroke but i think it rekindles my youth so she will have to learn to love it!!! )
    the problem with it is that its fine up through the gears until it gets to 5th then at 4000 revs it splutters and wont pick up.
    the carb set up is as it should be, points are good and there are new reed valves- but the spark plug is slightly wet and oily, i have checked the oil injecter and it leaks small drips of oil that builds up in in the crank case which i need to empty every once in a while. can i bypass the injecter by premixing the oil/fuel (30:1 mix ratio i think) would this damage this old classic bike and would this malfunction cause the plug to become fouled.
    Any ideas
    Many thanks
    Ian
    One of these you mean

you can do away with the injector side of it and go to pre-mix. This one also seems to be suffering at the moment from being way too rich
    HONDA VARADERO 99. NWS HUGGER, SCOTTOILER, HARD WIRED GPS, HEADLIGHT PROTECTOR, HEPCO @ BECKER LUGGAGE, GIVI CRASHBARS, GIVI TOP BOX, AUDICATOR BRAKE TEXT UNIT

GASGAS EC300 2006

MITSUBISHI L200 WARRIOR 2004 IN BLACK

Windmill John is offline Ridden for years
    Somewhere in Southern England, loose lips sinks ships, keep mum she's special, You never know who's
    Thanks

Try the premix, but if I recall, the setup for premix carbs is slightly different; possibly down to jet sizes. You can't break it, but you might need to clean the carbs.
    http://www.kittos.co.uk
    Off road in Portugal; Cracking Grommet
    First biking experience - dirt biking in the desert
    First Honda CB200 in 1978
    Biggest Honda CB750F2 in 1981
    Lots in between
    Some bikes have thrombosis; there's a clot behind the bars!

StumpyFingers is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

It is possible that the injector is worn meaning it gets the wrong mix for the power. I have known of the bikes having the injector system removed and premix being used with great success.
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Mervinh is offline Stone Crazy
    Thanks

i think you can rebuild the pumps you know . my view is the old fart about of mixing oil and petrol is long gone, injectors give you a bigger shot of oil at high revs and less at low speed which helps it too run more efficiently, my Rd250 does like you say drip a bit of oil into the crankcases i think, it is very smokey after standing for a while, but i look at it as a good thing as it means i know it has oil in the engine when the engine is cold

also you can shut the carb down to stop the engine when the throttle is right off and the engine still gets oil on the overun,

f You must go ahead and do away with the oil system either remove the pump and blank off the hole or run a pipe from the inlet to the outlet and fill it with oil so it circulates it,

if you want some more specific help with the DT 175 there are a few guys on the Yamaha Motorcycle Owners Club Forum that own one has had his for20/ 30 years or so from new and knows more abut them than me so if you want too join us there please do
    merv
    Classic Japbikefest 2 http://www.vjmc.com/japbikefest/ Sunday 14th september 2014 10am haynes motor museum

twistgrip is offline Senior Member
    Just outside Rugby on the M1 side near where the big masts used to be.
    Thanks

No one has mentioned a clogged exhaust, all strokers rely on a clean carbon free exhaust. I used to compare the weight of a new one to a used one, sometimes the difference is staggering indicating the weight of carbon build up. My DT175MX was spot on, did motocross and trials on it (both different set ups) and green laneing. In my opinion first place to look is the exhaust.

+ Reply to Thread