Honda XRV Forum banner
17K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  dod 
#1 ·
A tip, if anyone is looking for one:

Preloved | honda xlv 750 r for sale in Colne, Lancs

That livery is not so common.

It has to be from the last row in the production.
Was it not the final year they had this colors?

Yes it lacks the 5 hp from the previous R/W/B model, but it got
other improvements.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
ebay one was same colour but £3000 this is £2000.
Had one but preferred the XRV650 where the power delivery was much softer, but similar overall performance.
My XLV750 had Staintune exhaust and maybe other mods, went very well when it got 'on cam' more desert racer feel than the XRV650
. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

#4 ·
quite common
same as mine :)
its the Rf model 1985
the rwb red engine model is the Rd
only two production runs
Rd in 1983 4000 with 400 limited edition
Rf in. 1985 again only 4000 made but these have the black motor and some nice two tone colour schemes :)
softer cam ( hence the 10% drop in bhp). richer on the rear pot better auto cam adjusters and a few other minor mods :)

#5 ·
quite common
same as mine :)
its the Rf model 1985
the rwb red engine model is the Rd
only two production runs
Rd in 1983 4000 with 400 limited edition
Rf in. 1985 again only 4000 made but these have the black motor and some nice two tone colour schemes :)
softer cam ( hence the 10% drop in bhp). richer on the rear pot better auto cam adjusters and a few other minor mods :)
Thanks Raymo!

Any info on the Limted Edition model?

What made it special?

They are rare here in Sweden, and there were only the Rd model that came to our shores,

Prices have started to increase on the very few still running.
Only three were advertised this season, and prices differed between £3.000 and up to £4.700 asking price.

#6 ·
hi kjell

the limited edition xlv750Rd has a small gold plate on the right side of the frame below the seat saying its a limited edition, the changes were purely cosmetic , as I recall , they were the launch models I think.

#8 ·
Limited Edition XLV 750R - YouTube

dutch guy found this one in Thailand

looks suspect though as someone has fitted upside down forks to it
but you can see the wee gold plate I was on about :)

#9 ·
#10 ·
finally

a more detailed walk around this 29 year old bike with loads of innovative features:)

Air / oil cooled 45 degree V twin with 90 degree off set crank pins, so perfect primary balance
Twin spark plugs ( quite accessible ) , with two exciter coil driven CDIs

Oil in frame supplementing the small sump, giving 3.5 Lt of oil

hydraulic tappets, no adjustment required

air box part of top frame and in the same position as the last off the Africa Twins

oil filter on the top of the engine & drain plugs accessible with sump plate in place

separate clutch cover and as its actuated from the left, a clutch can be replaced in 20 mins

oh and a shaft drive :)

honda xlv 750 r .MOV - YouTube

#11 · (Edited)
#15 · (Edited)
alot of parts are discontinued

but you can pick up parts on eBay france, but they will dry up eventually .

gasket sets are hard to come by,
but one of the guys on the yahoo list has had the bottom end gasket set remade , good quality too

The electrical parts are shared with many old hondas but the cdis are powered by two high voltage exciter coils in the stator and are a weak point and a certain failure over time

, but easily fixed with either a stator rewind , or the easier fix of fitting a modern ignitech unit that replaces the two cdis with a single DC powered programable unit , had one on mine for 5 years now :)

the real weak point is the gear selector forks but these are not a common failure , but unless you can get a replacement from ebay then its terminal
unless you want to pay megabucks for a re-manufacture as a jurno did a few years ago for MCN I think, as the gearbox parts are discontinued

bottom line is its a honda and one built to very high spec and quality so will see many more miles :)

best wishes and seasons greeting to you all :)

#20 ·
My mates gots a red white and blue one that might be coming up for sale soon, he's not sure whether to sell that or his 950ktm adventure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.