Honda XRV Forum banner

Output shaft damage due to aftermarket sprockets

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  timg 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, some time ago I was looking for some 14T front sprockets for my 2007 650 TA. Mudwiz :headbang:very kindly put me onto a supplier of Afam sprockets and I ordered and received my 14T sprockets. I also have the genuine Honda 49T rear sprocket which I am running at present. However I've been too cautious to fit the front sprockets on account of some reports of aftermarket sprockets damaging the splines on the output shaft of some TA's requiring expensive repair. I don't want to damage my bike for obvious reasons but would really like the lower gearing. Has anybody encountered any problems using these Afam 14t sprockets? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid potential damage? Should I apply any grease or locking compound or do anything else when fitting them? Any advice either way would be appreciated as I would rather be sure than $orry. :confused: Thanks for your time and help. Kind regards, TimG

#2 ·
I've never fitted an Afam sprocket but can see no reason why it should not be a good fit on the output shaft. The dimensions of the splines are the important point, and I'd expect a respectable firm like Afam to get this right.

Most damage to splines is IMO caused by fretting. The Transalp front sprocket retention system with lock plate allows some (not much) free play between sprocket and shaft. The movement causes micro-welding and pulling apart between surfaces in contact. The outcome is visible as red dust (rust), and it gradually wears the splines away.

Liberally coat the shaft splines in copper grease before fitting the sprocket and you will have no problems with fretting.

#5 ·
Hi, thanks for that. The Rocol product is available here in NZ and suggested by a local engeneering supplies shop when I inquired about Copper Grease. I just wanted to know I was on the right track. I will see if Copaslip is around over here too. Thanks for your help. Cheers, Tim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.