Make Alp Great Again Rebuild Project

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Make Alp Great Again Rebuild Project

alpoverland is offline Member
    Thanks

Arrow Make Alp Great Again Rebuild Project

Hello fellow Alpiners.

Alp (1991) and I have been out and about in the world for almost three years now. We've done a fair bit of k's and had the occasional spill. A bad one in Australia particularly left a mark but still managed to put the bike back together again. Now it is time to make this bike run and look great again.

I'm excited and anxious at the same time since I've never done a full strip down and never had a look inside the engine. With the latter I am lucky enough have someone help me out who knows what he is doing. Currently there is reduced compression in the front cylinder and the rear does not hold compression anymore. Looking forward to the project though because after I'll fully understand and know the bike. The plan is as follows:

1. Strip down the bike
    2. Look inside the engine and figure out which parts we need to replace (small engine rebuild)
    3. General maintenance
    4. Replace worn/broken parts with secondhand parts
    5. XR600/650 forks mod
    6. XRV750 tank + fairings mod
    7. Repaint the bike

Looks great written down right but I know I'm opening a can of worms here. Posting here for moral support and I'll update during the process. I'm currently in New Zealand and it is definitely not the greatest place to be to have a crack at the mods (other than that cracker of a place). Heavy parts, probably coming from far away, while on a budget and not too much time. What can go wrong. We're going to South America next and Alp needs to look the part .

Using the following threads as mod conversion bible. Trickiest bit will be getting the parts:

TA to AT conversion
    www.TransAlp.org • View topic - Jeffs TransAlp to AfricaTwin conversion thread!

Suggestions and ideas more than welcome along the way.

All the rebuild progress videos are listed here

A short compilation of what we've been up to
    Last edited by alpoverland; 04-01-17 at 01:24 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alpoverland For This Useful Post:

alias (25-12-16), DUBMARK (27-02-17), een705 (13-03-17), kazaven (18-03-17), piguglyshandydrinker (24-12-16)

3. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

alias is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Make Alp Great Again Rebuild Project

welcome to the forum great choice of bike for the job in hand . I would wait until I was finished traveling before a rebuild my self . but I prefer riding to fixing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    welcome to the forum great choice of bike for the job in hand . I would wait until I was finished traveling before a rebuild my self . but I prefer riding to fixing
    Thanks mate. It is the bike that keeps on giving. This is that good fixing that will guarantee more riding and at the end of the day that is all we want.

First of all: Merry Christmas!

Name:  P1430363.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  193.5 KB

A humble start on Christmas day working on parts that have come off many times before. Off to an easy start. Most work went into cleaning up the place to have a tidy area to work on the bike. No more turning back now. Video shows what has been going on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alpoverland For This Useful Post:

alias (26-12-16)

7. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

piguglyshandydrinker is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Watching your progress with interest
    I had a green 600 just like it in the early '90s - a great bike.

It sounds like you have quite a bit off affection for your bike & the travels that she's taken you on.

T ALPER is offline Member
    Thanks

Good luck with the project, thought you said the axe was unrelated looks like it came in handy

ds99 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

how many miles has the bike done?

jamie92j is offline bike nut
    Thanks

I wouldn't bother with an XR600 fork change, I don't think you really gain that much

Its pretty easy and cheap to get a set of WP48 forks these days, now they really transform the bike!
    everything is OK

Central Asia 2014

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piguglyshandydrinker View Post
    Watching your progress with interest
    I had a green 600 just like it in the early '90s - a great bike.

It sounds like you have quite a bit off affection for your bike & the travels that she's taken you on.
    Cheers mate. If you still have the bike please stuff it in an envelope and send it this way. I'll be needing more than a few parts. It's a bond we made. I remember a moment in Mongolia where I realized that this machine was something I could truly rely on. Back then more than on any person in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by T ALPER View Post
    Good luck with the project, thought you said the axe was unrelated looks like it came in handy
    Thanks! And here I thought no one would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by ds99 View Post
    how many miles has the bike done?
    150.000km

Quote Originally Posted by jamie92j View Post
    I wouldn't bother with an XR600 fork change, I don't think you really gain that much

Its pretty easy and cheap to get a set of WP48 forks these days, now they really transform the bike!
    Please tell me more. Got a link to a good mod? XR600 forks indeed seem a bit outdated and the XR650 are excotic. Can only get them from Oz and pretty pricey to boot.

Further stripping down the bike. Always like the look of a stripped down Alp. Like you could go in any direction customizing the bike. No real problems except at the end of the day where we found that the frame was bent on the top left side. And there is a good a chance it will be bent in other places too. Steady as she goes for now.
    Name:  P1430369.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  200.2 KB

All the work done on day 2 in the video below. A little ride too the beach too.

jamie92j is offline bike nut
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpoverland View Post
    Please tell me more. Got a link to a good mod? XR600 forks indeed seem a bit outdated and the XR650 are excotic. Can only get them from Oz and pretty pricey to boot.
    You basically just want the front end off any KTM, ideally a full set up with rolling wheel, brake etc

Then find a lathe and turn the stem down to fit the transalp head bearings, if you don't have access to a lathe then rugged roads will sell you a stem that works

Although you will also need some stiffer fork springs for the alp and some consideration to a fender, either low or high depending on preference

Here is my bike with a high fender set up

Name:  med%u002520res%20%287%20of%208%29.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  176.5 KB

The only problem with this mod is it will highlight how crap the rear shock is and make you want to replace that as well
    everything is OK

Central Asia 2014

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamie92j View Post
    You basically just want the front end off any KTM, ideally a full set up with rolling wheel, brake etc

Then find a lathe and turn the stem down to fit the transalp head bearings, if you don't have access to a lathe then rugged roads will sell you a stem that works

Although you will also need some stiffer fork springs for the alp and some consideration to a fender, either low or high depending on preference

Here is my bike with a high fender set up

Attachment 107729

The only problem with this mod is it will highlight how crap the rear shock is and make you want to replace that as well
    They look great on the bike mate, like the exhaust too. Did it change the geometry of the bike? To recap you need KTM: forks, triple clamp + stem, wheel + axle and caliper? How much did that put you back more less? Probably way over my budget for the front of the bike for me.

Ended up opening another ten browser tabs after your reply and I'm now wiser but a lot more indecisive on the forks ha. This fella here is not too happy with his modded TA/AT with XR650 forks. Top heavy and he does not trust the bike. Great on the road but bad off-road while the latter is what I'm focussing on for South America. And I like to have fun:

Best Transalp Fork Mod

But it is tough for me to judge others people's experiences. I've ridden through a wide variety of rough stuff at different speeds over long distance and have grown around the bikes faults and feel confident on the machine regardless of terrain. Except mud. All I noticed was that the forks dived but even that was part of the experience. Anyone here who could tell me more about XR600/650 fork experiences? I know a guy in America who vouches for the XR650 forks on a TA but he also has the AT swingarm

In that forum thread the guy installed these on his standard TA forks:

41 MM INTIMINATOR FITS ALL TRANSALP WITH 41MM FORKS

People's experiences with those seem to be positive (not just reviews on site) and the way they write about them I can relate to.

At the end of the day though I do have to replace the forks, standard or different, since they are buggered. More to think about as to what and how. I think the rabbit hole is starting to get deeper.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast