Honda XRV Forum banner
3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  darwinXRV 
#1 ·
Hi all i was wondering if the 2 above frames are the same.... I have the chance to get my hands on a complete and fully functional 2004 TA with a damaged frame(statutory write-off) and i have a frame from a 87 XL600V. I originally wanted to transplant my RDO7 Africa twin into the XL frame but the TA is so much easier if it all fits and i have a bike to ride:blob7: Im in Darwin Australia so these bikes and parts are rare...

#2 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Hi I just checked out the links the last one looks promising.... I think it will be easy as i will have the 650 wiring and ignition etc and as the engine fits the frame it should work???

#3 ·
The frames certainly look very similar, I'm sure engine mounts will be near enough for a half decent Ausie bush mechanic to sort.
The main difference will be the subframe and the rear of the main frame where the shock mounts to - the shock (and linkage) is mounted much higher on the 650 to allow for the cat/subchamber.
How much are you looking to transplant from the 650 to the 600? Just the engine or use the 650's ignition system (they are quite different). I'm sure the coolant hose dia from the water pump are different but if you have two complete bikes it may be feasible.

How bad is the frame on the 650, can it be repaired or staightened or a replacement sourced?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Hi im not sure the damage on the 650 but its rideable and only 45000km so good score i say. I was going to build my RDO7 in the 600 frame but it would work out a lot easier for now if i could just swap frames and register the 650 in the 600 frame. I'm just wondering if the forks,petrol tank and all the major components will fit and the small things i may be able to use XL600V parts that bolt straight on ?? I'm not sure what motor ill use as my 750 engine and swingarm are already bolted on the 600 frame so they might stay...

#8 ·
Thanks ds99 i was wondering if the 650 transalp forks would fit the XL600V frame as i want to change everything from the written off bike onto the XL frame... xr600 forks would be a cheap easy option compared to the KTM conversion and probably easier to find...

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.