DIY paint-anyone done it?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY paint-anyone done it?

teriyakimonkey is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

DIY paint-anyone done it?

Anyone done any DIY paint jobs? I don't want anything extreme, just to spruce up my old tired panels. Will a can from Halfords do with a few hours spare time? Want to do it the same colour and don't mind taking the stickers off. I was gonna give the panels a good key with say 250 grit wet and dry and give them a good few light coats followed by a clear coat.

Any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

RainMan is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: DIY paint-anyone done it?

Yep, done quite a few bikes, if you're considering picking up a can from Halfords and expecting a perfect colour match with the tank you will be disappointed. The best advice that I could offer would be to beg, borrow or steal (or at a push even buy) a medium sized compressor, with a least a 25 liter reservoir, you should be able to hire this kit for a day if you don't want to buy. You will obviously need a reasonable quality spray gun as well. When doing a panel, cleanliness is very much next to godliness, sand down the panel as you described using a reasonable course grade paper, say a 400 grit. When you have removed the decals and removed the top layer of lacquer, start sanding with finer and finer grades of sandpaper, I personally would use a 600 grit, followed by an 800 grit and finish with a 1200, until the panel is smooth, but avoid using a paper less than 1200 grit, or wet and dry, as you will want a little bit of roughness to allow the paint to "grip". Next thing is to get your paint organized, have a look under the seat of the bike and you should be able to find a paint code sticker on the frame, take this code to your local paint supplier, I would think that a half liter of paint and a quarter liter of thinners would be enough for two panels, your paint dealer will advise. You will also need about a half liter of clear coat (lacquer).
    Before you start spraying the prepared panels, clean them thoroughly with an appropriate degreaser, again your paint dealer will provide this. You are now ready to spray, begin by testing the paint application by spraying on a blank piece of paper, you want to aim for several light coats rather than a heavy coat, building up each layer giving it a minute or two for the previous one to dry, it is also important to note that a clean dry and relatively warm environment will also help with getting a good finish. When you are happy with the panel, clean out the gun with thinners or gun wash and refill with clear coat (lacquer), lacquering a panel is a slightly different procedure than painting, insofar as you want to 'wet' the panel to give a nice shiny finish, applying lacquer in very light coats will leave a dull finish, the trick is to apply enough lacquer to leave a nice wet glossy appearance, but not apply too much so that the lacquer runs. The best way to get this right is to practice with different settings on a piece of cardboard. One final thing, if you are reapplying decals, place the decals on the paint BEFORE you lacquer. Hope this is of some help
    '04 Transalp 650

Why do today what you can put off 'til tomorrow. I'd rather be out on me bike !!

harrisphil Guest

If you are spraying all the pannells on an old bike and are not to fussed about what colour it is
    (all the pannels will be the same new colour anyway)
    ask your paint supplier if they have any returns
    This is paint that has been returned usually due to the tint not matching that of a faded car it is then sold on very cheep
    The downside is that you have a narrow choice of colours

mightdomaybe is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

http://www.autopaintinternational.com/

These are the people the vintage boys recommend. They make up Cellulose in spray tins for home application. Top notch finish without the compressor / kit.

Steve T is offline Hill Rider
    Thanks

Did a complete spray job on a spare set of panels & a tank for my TA this winter past just using spray cans. Took off the decals, rubbed the original paint down, primed, colour coat applied them clear laquer.
    Put some pictures of it onto this site before its recent re-vamp, whence they disappeared. I'll post them onto the new gallery for anyone thats bored / interested.
    Some pictures on the Transalp.org site (look for posts by SteveT).

Give it a go.

Steve T

The Green AT

Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand

teriyakimonkey is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Cheers people. Not planning on re-priming as the bike's black fading to grey at the back so will give her a good rub down and have a bash at that. Have ordered a rear battery panel from a breaker as mine is missing so will practice on that. Hell I might even try some nicely thinned out gloss paint with a brush and a clear top coat. I live in a top floor flat so it'll be difficult to spray. Could do it in communal garden but don't want kids running round downstairs with my paint on them!

Steve, was it the green colour you painted yourself? I like your current (I think) paint job with the camo look. I could only find a few pictures on transalp.org.

I know it may seem a bit pikey ti use a brush but it's worth a go.

Final question-Do sprayers usually rub doen the last colour coat so it's not glossy before spraying lacquer which then gives it the shine?

Steve T is offline Hill Rider
    Thanks

Green scheme - No, I'm not that good!

The camo scheme is all my own work though and looks great in the dark with the light off or from a long way away.
    As I mentioned, it was a winter project that kept me in the garage in the dark nights. Had a whole bike to play with for spares and used the frame as a "clothes horse" for the tank & panels when I sprayed them.
    The Green AT

Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand

RainMan is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
    Final question-Do sprayers usually rub doen the last colour coat so it's not glossy before spraying lacquer which then gives it the shine?
    No, there is no need to rub down the last colour coat unless the finish isn't exactly perfect, i.e. some foreign object such as a speck of dust has stuck to the paint, in which case, a light rubbing of wet and dry to remove the obect is all that is required. As an ex-professional sprayer, I sometimes gave the lacquer finish a light going over with a cutting compound after the lacquer had hardened of course, this can really enhance the deep shine effect.
    '04 Transalp 650

Why do today what you can put off 'til tomorrow. I'd rather be out on me bike !!

+ Reply to Thread