uneven rear pad wear and which way round does the pad spring go? - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: uneven rear pad wear and which way round does the pad spring go?

Zenarchy is offline XRV750 RD04
    Thanks

Re: uneven rear pad wear and which way round does the pad spring go?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I did discover one of the sliding pins is completely seized up, I mean completely welded in with rust. Its the bolt you undo to swivel the calliper up to remove/fit pads
    I had uneven pad wear on the back (though not quite as bad as yours) a couple of years ago. Very similar symptoms. I think what was causing it was that that sliding bolt you mention had been greased with copper grease. This had had the effect of swelling the rubber boot that covers it to much bigger than its normal size, which I'm guessing meant it wasn't working as it should and was letting water in. I only realised this when I got some spare calipers and noticed the difference in the size of the rubber bits. The bolt was very rusty when I removed it and the caliper obviously wasn't sliding properly which was causing the uneven wear.

Since properly servicing them and using red rubber grease on everything instead of coppaslip I haven't had any problems. I don't even use it on the back of the pads any more and have no problem with noise. I know some people seem to swear by coppaslip but I don't trust it myself any more.

If it's rusted in, leaving it to soak for a few days in WD40 or similar, then using a molegrip on it a few times (leaving it to soak a bit more between attempts if there's no sign of movement) might help. That's how I got the bleed nipples removed from mine when they were completely rusted tight and I thought I'd have no chance of removing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Boris is offline Wrinkled member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zenarchy View Post
    Since properly servicing them and using red rubber grease on everything instead of coppaslip I haven't had any problems. I don't even use it on the back of the pads any more and have no problem with noise. I know some people seem to swear by coppaslip but I don't trust it myself any more.
    I still use copper grease on pad retaining pins but for pistons, sliding pins and the backs of pads the red rubber grease is my first choice.
    I'm on the Safe House List

Only a motorcyclist truly understands why a dog puts its head out a moving car window

StumpyFingers is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Years ago I had problems with calipers sticking due to rusting sliders, it was on my first bike with disc brakes, after I got them free I used to check and clean them every time I did any work on the bike.
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

5. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

Austin is offline 2 bikes = twice as happy
    Thanks

The used caliper turned up today, and its a cracker. It was described as in "good used" condition but its brill, the slider moves freely, the piston moves nicely too. so should be a case of loob it up, fit it, bleed it and job done. I wish, things are never that simple in my world

Austin is offline 2 bikes = twice as happy
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    The used caliper turned up today, and its a cracker. It was described as in "good used" condition but its brill, the slider moves freely, the piston moves nicely too. so should be a case of loob it up, fit it, bleed it and job done. I wish, things are never that simple in my world
    Sorry to quote myself but the calliper wasn't quite what it seemed. Everything looked ok and seemed to work ok until I fitted it and tried to connect the hydraulic hose to find that the bleed nipple and the banjo bolt are swapped around. Otherwise it's identical but not from a TA. It would fit with a longer hose but the banjo would be the high point rather than the bleed nipple which I think would make bleeding a challenge.

The good news is once I had my old calliper off the bike I could get at the rusty slide pin and managed to get it off and fit the slider from the new but wrong replacement. Fitting after that was a doddle and bleeding it was text book stuff, took just a couple of minutes. .

My original calliper has V2 stamped on it; the replacement had 88-11 on it. Any thoughts on what it's off.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile

Jeves is offline Member
    Thanks

Reserecting an old thread, help needed, has anyone got any photos of how the pad springs fit on the rear
    caliper? I stripped the bike down three years ago and having slept since then am unable to work out how
    the springs fit, or even if they are the right ones. Thanks in anticipation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5