Removing the chain master link

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing the chain master link

Beeaj is offline Beeaj
    Thanks

Removing the chain master link

Am I being stupid and missing something? I have just tried to remove my '05 XR400`s chain and after removing the master link retaining clip I expected the master link to seperate and pull out. I tried everything from screwdrivers, pliers and a hammer and the link still sits as solid as any of the others??
    I have thought about grinding the link out and replacing it?
    Has anyone any tips.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

YEN_POWELL is offline Generalissimo Tea Boy
    north Essex, I can see Suffolk from here with binoculars
    Thanks

Re: Removing the chain master link

If it's a press fit link (the sort you need a tool or clever bodgery to put on)then it'll be a bugger to remove with leverage from a screwdriver, probably quicker to use a chain splitter to cut it off and use a new link to replace it.

Are you removing it to replace the chain or is it going back on. I only ask because I've seen the same size split/rivet links from different manufacturers refuse to go back on so make sure you get the right split link if putting it back on.
    3 Africa Twins/280,000 miles. If it's happened to one of mine, it's gonna happen to one of yours.....eventually.

1 Varadero/59,000 miles ridden (of 82,000 miles on the bike), it's all still new to me!

Beeaj is offline Beeaj
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply Yen
    I am just taking the chain off to give it a good clean. I looked in the owners manual and it says -remove master link retaining clip then remove the master link- (they make it sound so easy) It doesn`t mention tools so I assumed it was like every other chain I have removed from my trials and MX bikes. The 400 is a 2005 so I would hope the link hasn`t fused together?

YEN_POWELL is offline Generalissimo Tea Boy
    north Essex, I can see Suffolk from here with binoculars
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beeaj View Post
    Thanks for the reply Yen
    I am just taking the chain off to give it a good clean. I looked in the owners manual and it says -remove master link retaining clip then remove the master link- (they make it sound so easy) It doesn`t mention tools so I assumed it was like every other chain I have removed from my trials and MX bikes. The 400 is a 2005 so I would hope the link hasn`t fused together?
    I think that some maufacturers use press fit plates even on split link chains.

I use rivet links even on my DR, I clean the chain with a soft bristle brush and parrafin, then re-oil (any old engine oil I haven't used, usually cheap car oil) just enough to stop the chain rusting. It's not like the old days with non O ring chains where you remove and drop it in a pan of boiling black goop to fill the roller up with grease.
    3 Africa Twins/280,000 miles. If it's happened to one of mine, it's gonna happen to one of yours.....eventually.

1 Varadero/59,000 miles ridden (of 82,000 miles on the bike), it's all still new to me!

+ Reply to Thread