xr400 fork springs

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: xr400 fork springs

philj is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

xr400 fork springs

hello guys and girls,
    i have been thinking about upgrading the front suspension on my 2000 xr 400. i have read lots about doing the shim stack mod and spring weights.
    where do you guys buy your springs???
    i have tried ordering from a few companys now, but after each order i get an email or phone call saying they dont make my pring rate!!
    now i am no fat pasty but i do wiegh about 85kg, i have been on "race tech" web site for the rider srring weight calculator and they calculated i need 4.6kg/mm spring rate but racetech said 4.4 was the only available rate.
    are my calculations wrong or am i really a fat bas****d?
    please help.
    phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    XRV.org.uk
    Advertisements

jasonbc is offline The Angry Pasty Muncher
    Thanks

Re: xr400 fork springs

Quote Originally Posted by philj View Post
    hello guys and girls,
    i have been thinking about upgrading the front suspension on my 2000 xr 400. i have read lots about doing the shim stack mod and spring weights.
    where do you guys buy your springs???
    i have tried ordering from a few companys now, but after each order i get an email or phone call saying they dont make my pring rate!!
    now i am no fat pasty but i do wiegh about 85kg, i have been on "race tech" web site for the rider srring weight calculator and they calculated i need 4.6kg/mm spring rate but racetech said 4.4 was the only available rate.
    are my calculations wrong or am i really a fat bas****d?
    please help.
    phil
    I am a PASTY ( Cornishman) and weight 92kg and know for a fact you don't need to play with any of the above, my forks are all original setup and work perfectly best thing to do if you don't know what your doing is phone K-TECH tell them your weight and type of riding you do them send the forks to them and they will set them up properly for you and service them. They did mione and made a huge difference. Forget all the tables and rates it's all **** and you'll be fannying about for ages send them to someone who knows what there doing you'll be surprised it not an expensive job.

There is no shim stack in the forks it's only 1 shim. From 99 onwards the fork internals are different from previous models and are not normally shown in clymer/haynes manuals they use a shorter spring and a bigger spacer
    Last edited by jasonbc; 30-07-09 at 10:12 AM.
    HONDA VARADERO 99. NWS HUGGER, SCOTTOILER, HARD WIRED GPS, HEADLIGHT PROTECTOR, HEPCO @ BECKER LUGGAGE, GIVI CRASHBARS, GIVI TOP BOX, AUDICATOR BRAKE TEXT UNIT

GASGAS EC300 2006

MITSUBISHI L200 WARRIOR 2004 IN BLACK

ogri is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

as you have a '2000 model i believe you have the stiffest spring honda fitted to the 400.when i changed the oil on my forks(always a good idea on a secondhand bike) i re-filled with 10wt.forks felt similar in action but didn't dive through their travel so quickly.didn't spoil the rebound or any other ill effects.as its unlikely your forks have ever been serviced why not give it a try.at the very least the components are doing their thing in fresh oil and you will have flushed out around the shim area.doesn't matter what shims are fitted if the sludge can't past through them.

taggkent is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

you want 0.46kg/mm or 4.6kg/cm dont get that confused with 4.6kg/mm lol youd need to weigh several tonne to need them!

Racetec say they have 0.46kg/mm in stock, you must have missed em.
    The stock springs are 0.4kg/mm so its a significant difference, well worth changing IMO even without a revalve.

Servicing and respringing your forks is easy; the springs cost about 80 and the oil is about a tenner.

See thumpertalk forum and search there for info about rebuilding them and also the shimstack mod u are on about.

About to put in heavier fork springs - ThumperTalk

heres one to get you started.

I rebuilt my 250 forks with all new bushes, seals, springs and oil (obviersly) and did the compression stack mod using all the recomendations of the racetec calculator (including spring rate, oil weight, air gap compression stack nut torque etc) and im now very happy with the front suspension.

Having said all that, its certainly worth at least looking in to having it done by a pro, coz it will cost you 100 to do it yourself (as long as you dont fk it up!) and it takes a while the first time you do it.

Its one of those jobs that takes all day the first time, then about 45 mins the next time.
    Last edited by taggkent; 30-07-09 at 09:16 PM.

taggkent is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

ive just been looking around and your best bet for springs is xrstuff.co.uk give the guy a ring.
    Also motocrossworld online have springs for your bike (thats where i got mine) but i dont understand their springrate units best give em a ring =P

jasonbc is offline The Angry Pasty Muncher
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by taggkent View Post
    ive just been looking around and your best bet for springs is xrstuff.co.uk give the guy a ring.
    Also motocrossworld online have springs for your bike (thats where i got mine) but i dont understand their springrate units best give em a ring =P

197 for my rebuild from KTECH that included pick up and delivery (20 each way) and they filled them with 5w oil for quicker reacting forks.

112 for custom rebuild on my rear shock and a service gas, oil etc.

Spring rates also depend on how your riding. NO point setting them up for motox or enduro if your going green laning
    HONDA VARADERO 99. NWS HUGGER, SCOTTOILER, HARD WIRED GPS, HEADLIGHT PROTECTOR, HEPCO @ BECKER LUGGAGE, GIVI CRASHBARS, GIVI TOP BOX, AUDICATOR BRAKE TEXT UNIT

GASGAS EC300 2006

MITSUBISHI L200 WARRIOR 2004 IN BLACK

+ Reply to Thread