Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read this story

A 400 year clam called "MING" has been found recently and Help the Aged are funding research on how it lived so long to the tune of an amazing £40 000

WHY ???????

I really for the life of me can't understand why Help the Aged are spending so much of their funding in what seems to me a complete and utter waste of money. What do they hope to gain from research ?? Lots of OAP's wearing clam type shell suits to overcome advance wrinkly patterns setting in ?? or what ??

The clam was old ----it died ---- get over it !!!!

If anybody has any comments, please contribute. Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious, or maybe a tight arse Jock ???? :D :D

I've alway been a supporter of Help the Aged, not so sure now :confused: :confused:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Some scientists view aging as a disease (and in some respects it is). Lots of research is going on into extending life and the quality of life in old age, much of this research focusing on the differences between our bodies and animals (that age differently due to different chemical compositions, processes and reactions going on throughout their lifetime).

So I'd guess it's something to do with research into slowing down or reversing the aging process.

Sounds a bit sci-fi on the surface, but it's quite impressive to read about some of the success they've with this sort of research, and there are now quite respected scientists who are talking seriously about us being able to live forever (the idea being that we'll be able to expand life to such a degree that research constantly catches up and extends it further until we get to the point that death can be conquered altogether).

Spending £40,000 on that doesn't seem like such a waste to me really, if you put it into a wider context and consider how much money we spend developing technology to kill each other (it's a drop in the ocean).

I wouldn't give up your support for help the aged over this. I think they do lots of other good stuff as well as this, and you might one day be thankful for the results of this sort of research (hope we all are).

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
If you want to slow down the ageing process

Buy A Motorcycle!!

YUP !!!!

Although you do run the risk that you may speed up the aging process suddenly and permanently.........;) :D

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Staying fit

Eating a healthy diet

Drink no alchohol

Staying away from dirty women

8 hours sleep every night

All these things will help you to live for about another 10 years - unfortunately it's 10 years at the wrong end of your life !!! and you'll enjoy them sitting in the corner of an old folks home , being fed soup through a straw and pissing yourself and getting your arse wiped by someone on the minimum wage who could not care less !!!!

Bugger living long - I want to die with my boots on.

I old freind of mine who owns his own small motorbike sales / service shop who is still working in his seventies and has been in the business for 50 years - says " young man (me at 49 !!!), I still have one ambition in life not fulfilled - to die , shot in the back by a jealous husband"

Way to go Ewan Haldane !!!!!

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Staying fit
Eating a healthy diet
Drink no alchohol
Staying away from dirty women
8 hours sleep every night

All these things will help you to live for about another 10 years - unfortunately it's 10 years at the wrong end of your life !!! and you'll enjoy them sitting in the corner of an old folks home , being fed soup through a straw and pissing yourself and getting your arse wiped by someone on the minimum wage who could not care less !!!!

Bugger living long - I want to die with my boots on.

I old freind of mine who owns his own small motorbike sales / service shop who is still working in his seventies and has been in the business for 50 years - says " young man (me at 49 !!!), I still have one ambition in life not fulfilled - to die , shot in the back by a jealous husband"

Way to go Ewan Haldane !!!!!

I don't know mate. I've kind of got my hopes pinned on medical science discovering a way that I can smoke like a chimney, drink like a fish, need no sleep at all, and be riding my bike well into my hundreds, and have the body and fitness of a 20 year old (that part should help with the dirty women bit :D).

A bit optimistic, and will most likely not happen in my lifetime, but in the future who knows. If you'd told people who bought the first desktop calculators or computers (not so long ago in the scheme of things) that one day they'd have hand held computers a fraction of the size that can also make phone calls and video chat by satellite with friends on the other side of the globe, track their position by satellite, and give them turn by turn directions, access a worldwide information network that can connect them to millions of people and billions of pages of information across the globe, watch tv and video, hold their entire music collection (with room to spare) and that would be more powerful than the mainframe computers of their time that filled whole rooms, that would sound optimistic as well, but look where we are now (a good pda or phone will do all those things and put captain kirks communicator to shame).

I don't get the whole 'die with my boots on' thing really. Surely it's better to 'live with your boots on'.

I think this sort of research is a great thing :) That might one day save me from dying with my boots on (I tick off most of the boxes for the exact opposite of those on your list already and more besides).

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
if we all live forever - a few questions!

where will we all fit - lets be fair this lil rock is getting pretty full of us!

what will we eat

where will we ride given that with all the extra people rambling and pedestrianing we will be cut to running the bike in the garage!

but on the upside

by the time they figure out a way for us to live forever . . .

KTMs won't break down and Honda will have revealed the new Africa Twin!!

Z:D

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts

where will we all fit - lets be fair this lil rock is getting pretty full of us!

what will we eat

where will we ride given that with all the extra people rambling and pedestrianing we will be cut to running the bike in the garage!

but on the upside

Z:D
MMMM ????? Not sure about your KTM assumption there !! that might be a bit optimistic :D :D

·
vodka tester
476 Posts
Christ.... if chad lives forever what ever would the post count on here look like ? :D

Roy

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
bugger living forever we could all end up looking like pete burns:laughing1::laughing1::laughing1::laughing1:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts

what will we eat
Good questions, but then you could ask the same questions about finding a cure for cancer, malaria, heart disease, aids/hiv or any of the other things that lead to premature death and keep the population down.

People generally consider the search for cures for such things to be quite noble pursuits, even though the implications are similar in many ways in terms of population expansion.

I'd guess that by the time such technology develops to the point that they can extend life to the extent that we don't die (if that ever happens ofcourse), then the world will be a very different place by then. I think in more developed and richer nations there's already a trend for population to fall isn't there, so perhaps that will be a factor. I'd hope so anyway, as a more worrying scenareo is where there's a big divide between those who can afford it, and those who can't and a sort of 'Logans Run' scenareo developing (this already exists to some extent if you consider the way things are now).

For good or bad, science seems to have a habit of moving ahead regardless of such questions or consequences, and the optimist in me hopes that those questions will be answered as we go and solutions will be found or develop as time progresses (there are already big debates about those and other questions that you can find online if you're really interested). I can't help but look at how far we've come in the last hundred years, and be amazed, and feel that we're all so lucky to be alive in such amazing times.

The more pessimistic part of me sometimes looks at the pace of things and thinks "f*king hell - what's going to happen next", then I find myself being overwhelmed by some of the negative ways technology is used and its potential.

I think the only way to retain any degree of connection with the pace of the world and remain sane as I get older, is to try to take the role of impartial observer and just be amazed and interested in what's unfolding infront of me, trying to remain open minded, and without taking up a very firm position on either side of an argument.

I know for me personally though, if I was offered to say triple my lifespan, I'd grab the opportunity with both hands. "The story of a life is quicker than the blink of an eye" so the saying goes, and there's already so much I'd like to do and experience that I won't have time for, so being given a bit longer or even the chance to go on forever I think I'd always find new things to occupy me.

I can't quite get my head around it when people say they would rather die. If you ask them if they'd be happy dying tomorrow, then most will say no, but the day will come to us all when it is going to be tomorrow, and I'm almost certain on that day most people will look at it differently. I think when most people get to the point that they just want to give up, it's generally through disease and pain and immobility or because of some loss rather than they've experienced everything they'd like to (unless they have little imagination), but this sort of research aims to combat those things as well.

I'm kind of hoping for my hydrogen powered sky bike by then :D

but on the upside
I was astonished when I realised they'd stopped making the Africa Twin, considering how highly thought of they seem to be. I really hope they do bring another one out at some stage. I know the varadero was meant to be a replacement, and although it looks like a great bike, it doesn't have the same sort of attraction for me.

Does anyone know why they stopped making the Africa Twin? Were sales that bad?

·
Registered
395 Posts
if we are all going to live forever then we will all need to be neutered (spelling) or the earth will not be able to cope, birth rate the same, death rate non existant = massively growing population

We will also all need to work for the rest of our lives to afford to eat etc.(unless "they" abolish money and there would have to be a HUGE cultural shift in that people didn't aspire to be successful or better than others for that to happen)

For me the idea of working a 5 day week for eternity is almost enough to want to end it right now.

Who would do the crappy demeaning jobs "for ever"? I don't want to be a clerical assistant for ever, but who would replace me if i left..type of thing.

Nah....hope it don't happen

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BUT---BUT ---BUT It's only a

CLAM!!!!!!!!

Think it's time to uncork my new bottle of MaCallans ( sorry Geoff, luv to share, but you are sooooooooooo far away :D :D :D :D )

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
BUT---BUT ---BUT It's only a

CLAM!!!!!!!!

Think it's time to uncork my new bottle of MaCallans ( sorry Geoff, luv to share, but you are sooooooooooo far away :D :D :D :D )
bastard:D:D:D:D

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Just read this story

A 400 year clam called "MING" has been found recently and Help the Aged are funding research on how it lived so long to the tune of an amazing £40 000

WHY ???????
Why did it live so long.... just a stab in the dark.............It didn't get married, have kids, give up smoking, take up drinking........drive in the UK........it may have been around for 400 years but it certainly has not LIVED?!?!?

One thing that can be said is that anything that old gets there slowly!! by doing everything slowly!!

I reckon the motivation for doing crap in life is inversely proportional to how long something lives.

Lets face it if your average jo knows he is going to live for a few hundred years he might not get past the last takeaway menu and TV guide that drop through his door, ergo....... clam give a crap about anything??.....clam lifespan.....way long....clam evolution.......hmmmm.? (now I think about it?!!?....human evolution??)

Rats......now your talking......got a problem????? breed it out!! but hey who needs biological population control when you can build loads of stuff and have a war to try it out.:D :D

Reckon the only way to save this place is ship em all out and turn the whole planet into a national park. With @ riding caretakers/wardens of course!!:D

I'd be up for living a couple a hundred years as long as I didn't end up doing DIY or in a very slow moving supermarket checkout queue!!:( :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts