Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been with Motorcycle Direct for 18 years and spoke to them today to advise change of address as we've moved. So they want £50 because of the address change and when I said they bike is currently on SORN they said oh we can't cover that someone will call you tomorrow to cancel your policy.

I'm screwed either way as reading the policy I'm going to be charged £50 for cancelling the policy!!

So not only are they going to loose my business but my dad's also. Total bunch of tw#ts or is it me????

Not happy......

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Like low cost airlines some offer a low premium and then screw you at every opportunity down the line. MCE charged my lad £100 when he called to inform them that he had passed his test. No other changes same bike etc. he just gave them a courtesy call and they shafted him. He will never use them again and I tell everyone to avoid MCE at all costs.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The reason for the fee for amendments is that the broker and insurer have genuine costs and must act fast.

"The MIB can fine insurers up to half a million pounds if they fail to report on time, or accurately."

http://the-zebra.com/met-police-seize-308-uninsured-vehicles/

Why some insurers won't cover a bike in SORN is down to their personal choice. But makes no sense to me, unless they think they can sell you a special policy for bikes on SORN as a way to make more money

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can understand the fee to update and re-issue policy documents with the change of address but just because I want to SORN a bike for a couple of months for maintenance etc is totally beyond me. So today I will be looking for a new policy but my old one was not due expire until Feb so now I have to find the money 4 months early!

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
The reason for the fee for amendments is that the broker and insurer have genuine costs and must act fast.
I don't dispute the need for a fee but my broker charges something like £16 for changes and even then they have waived that when I did my Scottish that's a wee bit steep for a simple change is it not? routine. For MCE to fleece a 18 year old £100 (so about a weeks take home pay) just to tell them he is now more qualified and therefore no increased risk is just indefensible. At least Dick Turpin had a uniform so you could see him coming.

DON'T USE MCE. They will screw you at every opportunity

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Yep. In a free market they can charge what they like. And you can choose to buy elsewhere. But if you shop around based solely on the price do the headline premium, you might find yourself stung later.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My daughter suffered this type of sting. On renewal she informed them that within a fortnight she would be moving to a new address (a mile down the road). They said no problem, just let us know. She did and they took £160 off her for doing so.
The reasons varied depending on who she spoke to but with all the stresses and pressures associated with house moving she had to let it go.
Carol Nash publish a clear price for their administrative charges, £35. On the basis that they are up front and stick to what they say I am happy with there service.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent result, negitiated them down to £35 (as per Carol Nash) from £50 for change of address and they will keep me covered for 2 weeks whilst I get the bike MOT'ed and re-taxed.

Give them their dues, the girl was very understanding and helpful.

Day is getting better......:)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Good outcome.
Why on earth won't they insure a bike that is sorn'd - surely, it's less of a risk :/
sent from my 'phone
I had the same thing with my c90. I suppose you could take out a policy on a POS that had no hope of passing a MOT, SORN it then months later say it was a minter and had been stolen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like low cost airlines some offer a low premium and then screw you at every opportunity down the line. MCE charged my lad £100 when he called to inform them that he had passed his test. No other changes same bike etc. he just gave them a courtesy call and they shafted him. He will never use them again and I tell everyone to avoid MCE at all costs.
This happened to me also... called Bennetts to advise passed full test and now a full licence holder. They told me my premium would decrease but charged me an admin fee which was more than I was saving. Numpties.

·
Registered
789 Posts
No, it's not you, insurance t*ats like these just want to stiff you on everything. I changed the reg on my car, birthday gift, £50 fee.
That'll be me shifting insurance company next year. Grrrrr...... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
No, it's not you, insurance t*ats like these just want to stiff you on everything. I changed the reg on my car, birthday gift, £50 fee.
That'll be me shifting insurance company next year. Grrrrr...... :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Out of interest, how much do you think would be a fair charge for receiving your call, notifying your insurer and then complying with the strict notification timescale to update the records on the Motor Insurance Database ensure you do not get stopped by the police while out driving?

It's not a massive amount of work. For those firms that have invested millions in the correct computer systems it should be a fairly simple automated process, but given that there is some work and some investment involved and a potentially massive fine for get it wring or updating the MID too slowly, how much do you think would be reasonable to charge to make such a change?

I am genuinely interested.

This is the insurance broker and the insurer needing to change their records and the MIB be updated. If £50 is to much, what should it be?

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
Out of interest, how much do you think would be a fair charge for receiving your call, notifying your insurer and then complying with the strict notification timescale to update the records on the Motor Insurance Database ensure you do not get stopped by the police while out driving?

It's not a massive amount of work. For those firms that have invested millions in the correct computer systems it should be a fairly simple automated process, but given that there is some work and some investment involved and a potentially massive fine for get it wring or updating the MID too slowly, how much do you think would be reasonable to charge to make such a change?

This is the insurance broker and the insurer needing to change their records and the MIB be updated. If £50 is to much, what should it be?
I think a maximum of £10 is fair - Ebike charge £0 for these changes so how can you justify £50?? In the real world chris, you get paid £6.31 minimum wage which means 8 hours work (before tax) to pay someone for 10 mins work.........

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts

I will have a go...... It should be free, well at no additional cost is what I mean. Brokers and insurance companies know from their records how many customers on average change their details during a policy year. They should factor that cost into the premium so it's nil charge upon notification. Lets call it a risk factor, no different to any risk factor to determine the premium. This is more likely to drive up loyalty, rather than peeing customers off as now. As would always offering you their best price upon renewal rather than a negotiable price based on how much research you are prepared to do.

Before anyone says its unfair on people who don't need to report a change, well the whole insurance industry is unfair as it is based on broad risk based generalities.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
7,636 Posts

I take it that you think £50 is an acceptable figure then Chris?

For me - free, £10 - £20 absolute tops.
Everything is computerised nowadays so, to to me the time issue of updating the database is pretty irrelevant.

When moving house, very few companies outside of vehicle insurance, charge for change of address or other details.
If every one did charge £50 for any change of details, it would have cost us over £1000 extra when we moved house!

It could be said that applying such high charges they are actually encouraging people NOT to inform them of changes until renewal time.....

Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I dont believe its anything to do with passing on costs and more about the application of (mostly) hidden charges. To go with my earlier analogy there is no way it costs Ryan Air £70 to check someone in at the airport (even if checked in they still have to go to the checking desks to check passport and drop luggage so the check in overhead is seconds worth) they simply charge that because they can as if you slip up and forget to check in they have you over a barrel.

I bet it's the same with the cheaper end of the insurance market. They build into the business plan that a certain percentage of people change mid term and the unavoidable and inflated costs that they charge will bulk up the profits they make on most policies in the first place. It's the same with vastly inflated renewals. A small percentage will never shop around or be set to autorenew and get caught out and it all goes on the bottom line.

Me I just wouldn't give such people that rely on obscure and hidden charges my money. MCE and Ryan Air being cases in point.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts