Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I have a 2006 transalp and it is garaged for the winter.I start it every 2 or 3 weeks,however anything over 3 weeks the engine wont turn.I then have to charge the battery, i have just bought a oxford 600 charger. Is it ok to charge with the battery still connected to the bike, could it damage the alternator.why does the battery go down, would it be the immobiliser on the bike.

Cheers guys.

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Yip, ok to connect charger when battery is still connected to the bike.

Just do not start the bike with Charger Connected, it will fry the charger.

Non starting after 3 weeks .. Could be the battery is on its way out , or the cold . or drain on battery somewhere (clock maybe, alarm if fitted)

The charger connected when bike is out of use for any length of time, should solve the problem..

I have not got one but the features listed for this model state.
Oxford Oximiser 600 features:

~Designed for use on all 12V vehicle Batteries
~Fully Automatic 4 Stage Charger
~Recovers, maintains and assesses batteries
~Designed for long term connection without risk of damaging batteries
~Comes with crocodile clips for use when the battery is out of the bike
~Quickly charges battery at 600mA/hour until full and maintains a gentle trickle charge to keep battery optimised.

If you read the instructions then if there is a issue with the battery then the charger should tell you after its done its thing..

Hope this helps. :thumbleft:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that largewayround.
I did not realise you cannot start the bike, while still connected,otherwise you will blow the charger. The charger tells me battery is ok.
thank mate.

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
A motorbike battery , even when disconnected from the bike will naturally lose its charge over time, so connected even with the dash clock will drain.

I also just read about bike batteries having a shorter life than say a car battery . so if you have the original battery in your 06 it could mean that the battery is losing its life , somewhat.

But if the charger reads battery is fine, then you have sorted the issue for now , just pop the charger on to keep the battery charged.

When the battery is buggered, it will not hold a charge and you will need a new one..

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The clock will drain the battery over time, plus if it is the original battery it is 3 years or more old so could be dying.
I use a solar charger as I have no power to the shed and it does replace the small amount of power drained by the clock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys

Thanks a lot for your advise. I have a 1997 1200 bandit from new and with the same battery ,i guess i am on borrowed time with it.

Cheers guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts