Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  sp davis 
#1 ·
Hi all ,i am new to the site .I would like to say hi..As is the norm i am in need of assitance from the more knowledgable ..
I have found for sale a 1997 AT in the pics it looks great ..21,000 km's No service history (from france) i will be viewing the bike this week with an option to buy 2k..

1st ...is that a fair price ?
2nd ..i an 07 a good year? ,i hear the 04 is the one

My real issue is will i be satisfied with the performance ?

bit of history ,been riding for a long time off -on track etc and i want a run around but i want to enjoy it been riding racing honda' for many years and i wanted something to play with i have some ideas for upgrades but dont want to feel rushed....I dont expect super bike performance but i want a bit of fun wheelie etc comfort too i on the list i dont want to play to much with the engine but i do want to lighten the load many thank for the info you may divulge i will try to recipricate in kind

#2 ·
I can't help you with prices.

04 or 07 is the generation and there is very little between the 4 and 7. The 03 has a few significant differences between the rest of the bunch.

You will be sat on 50hp 750 that weighs 230kg so performance will be limited. That said it's stable and predictable and will get to maybe 115mph if you are so inclined. Off road it's fine but it's heavy and you probably want to limit yourself to trails. I'm sure there are some nutters on here that go full off road tho.
People do wheelie them but if that's really a criteria the AT is probs not for you. There's not much to be gained from tuning the AT unless you want to spend lots of money. Change the exhaust and filter and tweak the suspension . People change the seat to stop Thier bums going numb but that will depend on your bum to seat width ratio and how much gravity affects you.

#4 ·
In the pic it looks great ,the proof will be in the viewing .
I have a usd front end ready to go (from another project) i have found a complete braking system to fit, i have a gp style exhaust and a rear shock too some arrow headers ..if i buy this bike these are the first upgrades ..simpler things like a usb port ,volt meter etc .I have the equipment and a little knowledgr of carbon fiber so i hope to make some bits too ..The seat ? Issues ? have not found a seat replcement as yet but i want to ride the bike first so if i buy i will ride wait for the cold weather and start the process,.andylong i am not overly concerned about wheelies reliability is important i have other bikes for silly stuff this is a runaround for me and the mrs
thank for the input appreciate it .

#5 ·
62 bhp at about 6000rpm ,nice and gutsy for a wee v twin, feels better when you take the factory exhaust off as that weighs a ton. Plenty enough power for todays roads and poodling around on. You will find that most if not all current owners ,myself included ,love there xrv's and probably once sorted will never sell.

#6 ·
Harleywilma ,thank you for the reply my sentiments exactly i am getting on in age have a family etc so i am looking for a keeper which hopefully will be passed down to my son or sold on to an enthusiast...I have been looking at the new AT but too many electrical bits an bobs for my liking ,also the ktm 950 but again lacking a certain something character ,peronality i cant say ..But even though i have my doubts over the 20 year old AT the main things seem to be reliability which in any bodys book is a good thing ,comfort ,a useable platform ,also its appearance whenever i have seen one its an old friend i always smile it is a non threatening competant conversation piece and i love that about it plus i can take the mrs safely anywhere ,my last ride with my wife ended up at over 150 mph on a back road which was apparantly not the bet way to start a first date live and learn eh !!!

#7 ·
A couple of things not mentioned but if you search the forum you'll find many posts on are to check the output shaft for excessive play, and the chokes will probably be stuck open which will reduce mpg but if you can test ride for long enough will probably be able to smell

#8 ·
Thank JB1 ,i have done some trawling tried to find out whats what..It would seem the shop have taken a deposit from a man who is trying to get a loan to buy this bike ,So my options are to wait until he does or does'nt buy which may be 2 - 4 weeks or keep looking ,shame took the cah out yesterday i am ready to go ,but i have found another newer one 1998 38,000 km looks clean its a longer distance and its cheaper so i am thiking about my next step..thank you for the help appreciate it

#10 ·
hi all i am now down to two AT's. a 2001 with 48 k ,it has an after market end can and a set of front ebc disc's ,but the paint design i not the torn or camo look its almost a soft flame and the rear sets look more rounded ,the latter AT on offer i a 98 with 38 k and is standard but the colour i black and got the ripped look on the tank gold reddish and silver is there anything else between the models i should be aware of? i hope i am near now to buying an african twin many thanks

#12 ·
Thank you for the help ,i have two in mind and i am trying to forget mileage though 38k and 48 k respectfully ,silly thing colour but i want to like the bike not just ride it ....the two in question 1 i black reddish/gold and silver and looks like new (in pic) 38 k the 2nd is more matt black with orange tank decal and white mudguards with 48 k both very clean ,i am not too worried which but i will try to ee them this week and get one .the price is 100 quid differnce.. one is a 96 and other a 98 if i remember correctly one from france the other germany..

#13 ·
My RD07 has more than 130000 miles so mileage is not an issue. Output shaft is the most important thing, but I don't know whether they allow you to dismount the front sprocket to be sure it is not worn out. Remember, fuel pump might need fixing (plenty of literature here), but it is easy stuff but also check the R/R: the original Honda is rubbish. Sooner or later you will need a MOFSET type. So if there is already one installed I would go for that one.

#14 ·
Thanks ,i was wondering how i will approach the front sprocket and i will be asking for a look as for the r/r and fule pump like you said they will eventually let go so i will make them a priority on the list ...I am loking to shed weight and have found a few items to get me going

#16 · (Edited)
It's very simple just 3 bolts on the sprocket cover and two on the sprocket. About 5 minutes work

As far as weight reduction is concerned there won't be any major changes, save a bit on the exhaust but by the time you add crash bars, sat nav, luggage rack and a comprehensive toolkit etc there's no real change. Mine weighs 242kgs wet and I have run this in enduro's

#15 ·
Don't know how much you can gain in weight. RD07 is a bit of an elephant, but a reliable beast with plenty of space for your hands when you want to service it. RD03s are lighter and more off road machines, probably the only model ever made able to fulfill its promise of driving from Europe to deep Africa. Czescz! GC

#17 ·
ok thanks,i was looking at a AT for sale on ebay he claimed his AT i think was 170ish i will have to double check but he did an extensive rebuild .

I have found a 96 AT 48kms very clean ,with a back box crash bars orange tank decals a polished sump guard white mudguards i quite like it totally std..i will be calling him today to view its miles away but i think worth a look ..hope to get a bike soon thank you for the help

#18 ·
ok thanks,i was looking at a AT for sale on ebay he claimed his AT i think was 170ish i will have to double check but he did an extensive rebuild .I have found a 96 AT 48kms very clean ,with a back box crash bars, orange tank decals a polished sump guard white mudguards i quite like it totally std..i will be calling him today to view its miles away but i think worth a look ..hope to get a bike soon thank you for the help

#19 ·
Had a look at a 94 AT it was local o well worth a look ! unfortunatly that is all it was it was too scruffy 78 k engine sounded great but the rest of the bike was hangin ..I could have bought it for 1500 mayby less but the longer i looked the worse it got .The concensus from my friend and the seller was it was worth the money as a doer upper ,being cheap but after i explained the cost of the repairs,parts and more importantly my time it was in fact not a cheap bike oh well i have another one to look at but its a long way away so i need to find time ..I did get to it on the AT and for such a big bike it was not half bad quite well balanced and the weight eemed well distributed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.