Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a friend are looking at a 10 day trip leaving in just less than 2 weeks. We originally planned to take the motorail to villach in austria then do croatia/slovenia and ride home. The motorail is fully booked though, so we need a plan B.

The current idea is Leave yorkshire, over the peak district into wales, ferry over to ireland, ride up to the north, ferry back to Stranrear and down through Scotchland and Cumbria (possibly the lake district but it may be a little overcrowded at this time) back to Yorkshire. The big BUT with this plan is the weather, we aim to be camping so if its peeing it down all week this may be less enjoyable than we would hope.

Has anybody got any recommendations for somewhere not too far away with great riding and good weather prospects? we're on a dommie and a 640 adventure, like to take the scenic route (hate motorways - dommie ass is not nice) and off road wherever possible, and generally ride about 150-200 miles a day on trips. Getting the ferry or train to get a few miles under our belts would be good, but we thought the 36hours each way to Bilbao is a bit too much on a 10 day trip.

Show me some ideas please peeps :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Easy..Bilbao ferry down, Santander, Spanish Pyrenees, Andorra, French Pyrenees, Carcasonne, Millau, Gorges, PreAlps, Ardennes and home.

Or a selection of the above. Many spend more time in just the Pyrenees/Andorra and ride up the west coast home via Caen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
If you head through North Wales on your way to ireland there are loads of off road trails. You can ride loads of trails from near Mold, down to Llangollen, head West off road to Betws-y-coed. Then there are lots more trails all the way to Barmouth. Should take a couple of full days to leisurly ride them all.

But Id head up the Western coast of Scotland any day:thumbup: Or do as you say, Wales, across to Ireland, back to Scotland...then go up the Westen coast all the way round. Should be a great trip and achievable in 10 days. Not jealous at all..

Cant guarentee the weather though!!!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Hi Sam
Just back from a trip to the Alps inspired by your pic of Grimsel, Furka and Susten passes so woouldn't want to be advising you on what you possibly already know, But what about a circular route that took in Ardennes, Vosges (came back through there - some fantastic roads) Massif Centrale, Pyrennees and Picos. One day travelling to region, next day explore (must be offroad opportunities in these areas), next day move on...:rolleyes:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
eire= top riding, freindliest maddest people youll ever meet but always rains! and expensive too. best chips you will ever have in your life. they know spuds.

is there still a ferry from harwich to gothenburg or somewhere over there? always wanted to do that and ride around back to the chunnel and home. again probably quite pricey.

im a fan of the santander ferry, using it again in 6 weeks in fact when we go over for the moto piston rally. north spain is very different to the hotter dryer parts we are more used to, the picos de europa national park is great and the north coast scenery is well worth a tour. but if you wanted to get down south to the costas you could have a great tour in 10 days, and include some of portugal if you wanted, or the other way and do andorra and the pyrenees. we went from santander to barcelona in half a day, but that was a hard ride since your not off the ferry till 1300 i dont recommend it. we overnighted in zaragoza on the way back, much more civilised riding and a good city to look at.

just because you have 10 days dont get trapped planning ten 400 mile days, you wont see what you went to see! a couple of hundred miles a day is plenty and gives you loads of time for sightseeing, stopping when you see something worth photographing, decent meal stops etc. also gives you the leeway to find a decent bar and just say 'sod it, im having the afternoon off'

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys.

I have been considering the santander/bilbao option and I do love the Basque coast too, but the ferries down are all booked up :confused:.

The pyrenees/andorra does sound like a good option though so I think I will look into riding down and getting the ferry back.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
For a quality/quantity balance, hit the tolls to PhilinFrance before setting off on b roads to Andorra v Carcasonne.

I hear he has a welcome big enough to be Irish. Get there in one long day at easy pace too.

Cost me about £20 on tolls and I made Limoges in 2 stops from Calais.

Plenty of alternative routes but u can't beat just drilling the miles away sometimes. Patience required. Reward is BIG!

Ordino, Andorra has a great campsite up in the mts above La Vella. Ride up to the ski resort and up the trail to the top of the ski slopes. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
As Falky said call in and stay .....only charge 160 Tetley Tea Bags:D iv,e done Calais to ours in 7hr 30min but that was hammering it !!! 9hrs is the norm, and when you get here the worlds you cuttle fish :D
Phil

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Wow - 160 teabags...cheaper than my mate in Limoges...he charges 4 bars of Galaxy chocolate and a box of Cornflakes!....chocolate melted last time too... V Funny! He still ate it though...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Me and a friend are looking at a 10 day trip leaving in just less than 2 weeks. We originally planned to take the motorail to villach in austria then do croatia/slovenia and ride home. The motorail is fully booked though, so we need a plan B.

The current idea is Leave yorkshire, over the peak district into wales, ferry over to ireland, ride up to the north, ferry back to Stranrear and down through Scotchland and Cumbria (possibly the lake district but it may be a little overcrowded at this time) back to Yorkshire. The big BUT with this plan is the weather, we aim to be camping so if its peeing it down all week this may be less enjoyable than we would hope.

Has anybody got any recommendations for somewhere not too far away with great riding and good weather prospects? we're on a dommie and a 640 adventure, like to take the scenic route (hate motorways - dommie ass is not nice) and off road wherever possible, and generally ride about 150-200 miles a day on trips. Getting the ferry or train to get a few miles under our belts would be good, but we thought the 36hours each way to Bilbao is a bit too much on a 10 day trip.

Show me some ideas please peeps :thumbup:
if your in north wales and want a morning start i live 30 miles from holy head..lots of room 2 camp no probs, let me no...:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts