Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me which is the best way to wire the 12 volt power outlet to the motorcycle?

Thanks a lot,
Bogdan

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Go on eBay and pick up a fused pre wired socket. Towsertronics sell decent stuff I have found, but loads of sellers. If fitting the socket in front dash, make sure you have enough cable :) I have my socket under the seat and just poke it out as it has a socket cover. Used mainly when camping for charging phone/tablet and blowing up air beds

Reactions: BogdanT

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me which is the best way to wire the 12 volt power outlet to the motorcycle?

Thanks a lot,
Bogdan
Do you want it permanently live or switched with the ign?

I normally wire mine directly to the battery (fused) so are prrmanently live, I also use the socket for the battery charger.

There are many ways to wire them from a switched supply, either tapping into a suitable supply or fitting a relay

Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the sugestion :) but i was asking how to wire it to the electrical system of the motorcycle. Did you take the voltage directly from the battery? Did you use a relay?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I also use my 12V outlet for the GPS only. But I want the GPS alive even when ignition is off. Reason is that I take out the GPS battteries on offroad stages in order to not have the battery weight move about within the GPS. Maybe not really necessary but I never had any issues that way.
As for wiring. I wired the socket directly to the battery, routed the cable along the upper left side of the frame and finally attached the socket with only a calbe tie at the handle bars cross bar. For additional safety I wrapped the cable with that spiraling plastic stuff (it's freightening what vibration can cause to a cable) and to protect the battery from an bored ass... I used a fuse which can be placed conveniently in the battery compartment.
To have a secure connection I opted for super seal connectors instead of the often used cigarette lighter sockets.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I want to use it for the GPS system, so I would preffer it switched with the ingnition. Wich would be a suitable supply?
Personally, I prefer my Zumo hard wired to the battery. Sounds like you need a relay switched supply, using the ignition itself|?

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you cut into the feed for the fan aren't there potential overloading (of the wiring) issues? I'm no sparky so please forgive my ignorance on this matter :)

But if you wire it direct to the battery aren't there issues with the fluctuating charge (as it's not going through the regulator) which'll eventually fry the charger?

FWIW I've found what appears to be a very nice one (Blue Sea)that'll fit flush with the fairing, is waterproof and none too expensive (20 quid ish) - link here - but I'd hate to either fry it after only a few hours of riding, or, worse, flatten the battery.

·
Registered
195 Posts
But if you wire it direct to the battery aren't there issues with the fluctuating charge (as it's not going through the regulator) which'll eventually fry the charger?
Since most modern day units (GPS, mobile phones, etc.) have a wide range input (the unit as well as its charger) that shouldn't be an issue, but obviously one has to check on that.

FWIW I've found what appears to be a very nice one (Blue Sea)that'll fit flush with the fairing, is waterproof and none too expensive (20 quid ish) - link here - but I'd hate to either fry it after only a few hours of riding, or, worse, flatten the battery.
Of course anything wired directly to the battery can flatten it. But let's assume you draw around 0.25A (which is more then enough for a mobile phone or a GPS) and I guess the AT's battery has a capacity of around 16Ah then you could draw that 0.25A for 64h straight (without running the engine once).
Now that's theory. In reality there's the cold of night, the age of the battery, etc. but still you'll be on the save side and the battery won't flatten.
If you add heated grips, additional lights, and the lot, then you might end up pushing the bike :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts