Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Dave H 
#1 ·
Guys...

I don't want to start a war or anything and I know the 1200gs is a better specified bike but my mate loaned me his for a ride this am and guess what, I prefer my 650v....

We were doing countrylanes and gravel paths so on a motorway I might change opinion but my alp is smoother especially at low revs and the brakes on the BMW felt snatchy....it was either on or off type of sensation.

Don't flame me please I am totally biased cos I love my alp....

R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
i have heard one bloke say that BMW stands for big mouth ****er :toothy9: i myself have owned a k75rt a k100lt striped down to its bones it looked like some thing from a mad max film matt black single seat sheep skin seat cover and a 1981 r100t all very nice bikes to ride and i enjoyed owning them and i would still love a nice clean low milage K1100rs in black with a comfort seat for covering long distances in comfort . over the years my taste in bikes has changed and since i bough a transalp 600 a couple of years ago i don't see the point in buying any thing other than a transalp 600 or 650 . i was talking to a bloke recently very briefly and his 2005 gs1200 needed the clutch and drive shaft doing . im willing to bet that both repairs together cost more that i paid for my old 1990 Transalp that has never failed me apart from a couple of cdi's but i got a plate under the seat now . some people have a position in society that makes it necessary from them to own a brand new bmw R1200gs / Harley Davidson electra glide ultra / Mercedes bens or what ever and have to play golf and wear pink shirts and boating shoes god love them with all their money and bad taste :lol:

#4 ·
The Transalp's the only bike I've had. Don't know whether it's "better" than a BMW or not. All that matters is people are riding and as long as the camaraderie is there; a nod, wave, stopping to ensure you're ok; then I don't care whether it's a stepthrough an 'alp or a GS.

#5 ·
They are chalk and cheese. I like my GSA1200 as a big comfy two up tourer or for doing a long motorway blast. For just about anything else it's quite a handful but does it well enough. I know I liked my TA650 when I had it, but is it a better all rounder than my current GS, mmmm, not sure.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

#6 ·
Better or different?

Mate of mind has had gs1150, gs1150 Adventure and a KTM Adventure. All good bikes. :p Brother had an GS1200.

Whatever you have, ride it with pride and look after her best you can. She'll take you anywhere, but the journey will make your bike and you'll lover her for it. Better an Alp on the road, than a GS in the garage ;) ???

One benefit - perhaps - shaft drive ?

#8 ·
thanks for all your replies guys...

I think I owe an explanation of what was in my mind with my original post. :)

I am definitely all for the camraderie you get with biking. Indeed since I have started riding I have many more friends and acquaintances which is really good. I also hate the BMW bashing which happens on other sites...a bike is a bike is a bike. nothing more nothing less. Back home, people in my social circle enjoy bashing harley owners, I for one, plainly admit that I would love to own a V-Rod but dont have the money.

Given the huge commercial success of the GS, I have no doubt it is a very capable bike.

However the transalp, at least in my part of the world, is a very underrated bike....when compared to R1s, GSs, S10s etc quite naturally, at least on paper, it comes out as the loser. It does not help that most owners use them to commute and as a daily ride.

My natural tendency to consider the grass greener on the other side made me all the more surprised when I discovered the humble old alp, is at least to me, good enough that I prefer it to what is on paper a much superior machine...

I think I have just discovered what must be a well kept secret amongst transalp owners....its more than the sum total of its parts :)

R.

#11 ·
I get what you're saying. Yes, the Alp is underrated this (IMHO) is due to the Alp being discontinued and the GS / KTM are constantly evolving so they're always in press and in shops. I got my 600 Alp and think she is great, a lot of bike for small money. No fuel injection to go wrong, no high-tech computers, ESP, fly-by-window stuff to go PAP. I really do think the Alp is superb for reasons we can all relate to. Ride from UK to Morocco - would there really be a difference in bike experience?

I do like the idea of shaft-drive, no chain to oil, tighten, but the trade off in weight is a good argument here :) Dealer support? Humm..... I reckon an Alp will be fix-a-ble by any mechanic in any town in any country. Need BMW software in Marakesh? Hummm.....

In short, yes the Alp is in the shadows now - a bargain for those with a keen eye and know what they want. But BMW marking is outstanding!

#10 ·
Re: On the island.

that is one well kept specimen....Cirkewwa is becoming quite a hangout isint it...I commute regularly between the 2 islands and I always take note of the bikes parked close to the cafe.....pity is I nearly never have the time to stop and chat....its either I am in the queue for the ferry or rushing off it....

R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.