Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have installed 12V plug on AT RD07 but was wondering what actaully I can connect in terms of Power (how many watts)..

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
The answer to this question .. depends on a couple of things.

The gauge of wire used (how thick the core is) and where you have connected it too.. i.e direct to battery .

What where you thinking about plugging into the socket.

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
My friend - you need a calculator.

W=VxA
A=W/V

Given you have a 12V/24Ah (i.e. 24A/1h or 1A/24h) battery, calculation is:
W=12Vx24Ah =284W/h.

Meaning you can plug in a device sucking 284W for one hour, then the battery is flat.
Meaning this is theory, your battery will run down earlier unless in perfect condition or being recharged during driving.
Now - check your battery type and do the math.
Everything else is a matter of diameter of the wires a mentioned earlier. If you have connected the socket directly to the battery (fused near the battery, though) and not only to an ignition-on-circuit, then you can attach your external battery loading device through the socket to the battery.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chris,

I will do the math. But, in case i am charging something during driving, then there shouldn't be a problem, if I am not going over 250W?

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Your limit is the power-output of the generator, really, which I do not have readily available from the top of my head. Let me predict you´ll reach it when having heated grip on max, both headlamps running, two fog lamps running and your nav system doing what it does whilst blaring music to your ears through a headset. Thus - no 12V-fridge on the rear rack, please.
What is it you want to connect?
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,

Since we are preparing for a longer trip (trip around the world The RIDE AROUND 2010) I would like to know whether it is possible to connect for example - at same time: mobile phone or satellite phone charger and two way radio charger... Or GPS and battery charger (for camera)..

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Well,

Since we are preparing for a longer trip (trip around the world The RIDE AROUND 2010) I would like to know whether it is possible to connect for example - at same time: mobile phone or satellite phone charger and two way radio charger... Or GPS and battery charger (for camera)..
Sure...why not. Providing you do not overtax your charging system such as heated grips, heated vest and headlights blazing at the same time.

The following link may help you and give you a better understanding. The AT rated output is 360 watts @ 5000 rpm.

Calculating Excess Electrical Capacity - Learning Center - Powerlet Products

I would suggest a LED charge monitor for your trip that would give you a heads-up display of your charging system at all times. This would also alert you if your Regulator/Rectifier failed in an overvoltage situation. You are carrying a spare R/R I hope? With a charge monitor you will always know the status of your charging system and you can select certain devices off as required if you see it struggling in the lower red LED.

I use a Dyna Charge Monitor Dyna Charge Monitor .

Their are many others to choose from.
Kuryakyn LED Battery Gauge - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Have fun in your RTW trip.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,

@GSPD750 - I will carry spare regulator, normally :)

Answers were excellent. I will try to use this in practice and let you know about results :)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The Generator will produce 360W as GSPD750 stated.

However if used in warm weather for a longer time the OEM reg/rec on the AT could burn if forced to work with that kind of load.
It gets really hot. Also check all connections for any lose connectors or oxide.

I would personally change the reg/rec. to an upgraded type, if you plan to run the Generator at high output for longer periods.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where can I find this upgraded version? I have seen some versions (I am not sure are they home made or something else) with fan on them - just like on processors...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts