Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I fit a 140/80 17 Michelin T66 on my Alp?

It's got a TCK 80 130/80 on it at the moment......

I've stolen some tyres off of an Africa Twin I found in my garage :)hitler:) and thats the size of the rear one..................

Thank you.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I am not 100% sure but check the distance between the swinging arm for clearance. If there is enough clearance then it should be OK.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
The space in the swing arm is not the problem as there's acres of room and I've seen pictures of an alp with a 150 in there no problem. The problem is the rim,if you put too wide a tyre on a small rim (the alp is a 2.5" and the @ is a 3") you get a certain amount of mushroom'ing of the side wall. I would say a 130 is about as big as is absolutely safe on a 2.5" afterall the 650 has a 120 and some 600 alps have a 120 or a 130 depending on age and the standard on a @ is 130 but you can go up to 140 on a 3" rim.
I have a brand new set of 140 mitas in the shed just itching to go on but they are too wide for the 2.5 rim on the alp. I have been waiting and saving like a miser to get a 3" or 3.5 rim for the wheel rebuild I am planning to get the 140's on. I know they are too wide because I measured the new TKC Ii have and the mitas is 12mm wider at the bead than the TKC so would mushroom like mad. Not a good prospect to see the tyre fall off the rim going round a bend.
I would say measure the bead to bead on both tyres,occasionally in principle it won't work but sometimes the tyres construction will allow it. Someone on here recently changed from a 140 something to a mitas 140 and the mitas was too wide so see what the ruler says.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say measure the bead to bead on both tyres,occasionally in principle it won't work but sometimes the tyres construction will allow it. Someone on here recently changed from a 140 something to a mitas 140 and the mitas was too wide so see what the ruler says.
Richard, when you say bead to bead, do you mean compare the inside diameter of the tyres?

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
The bit that sits just inside the rim itself

·
Elefant rider
210 Posts
I currently have fitted a 140 Mitas E09 to the standard rim of a 650. Works without a problem.

As far as I know it is a 2.5 as the the rim of the 600.

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
I'm running an @ spec rear TKC80 (140/80/17) on my '91 Alp and it's no problem at all - except for the high wear rate, of course :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts