Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
150/70/17 rear tire on 1989 Transalp 600? I think it will fit but will the contour get disformed from the rim being to thin?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Why?
A wider rear tyre slows the bike's turn in when cornering, which is important to me, because these bikes are heavy, cumbersome
Yes it fills in the rear of the bike better, but my '03 Transalp XL650V will only "light up" the rear (120/90 Or 130/80) tyre when the road is wet and I change gears as I tip the bike mid overtake. It gets the heart racing, but I only happens in select circumstances. These aren't super bike, or even super sport base models and early overpower the driving tyre.
I got mine going again yesterday for the first since the ECM failed in January.
I noticed that it felt big, heavy, ungainly. It wanted to fall into corners, it wobbled up the road. It turns out that the steering head bearings are rooted annex I'll have to replaced them.

That's my tuppence worth, you do what your heart desires, which is what we riders do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do a bit of dirt riding with it and found on other bikes I liked the larger rear tire for just pure traction on a slightly heavy bike. Maybe 140? I am not trying to make it look cool necessarily, just want all the traction I can get in loose dirt situations. I have an XR650R with 140 on the back and it's perfect. The TA is heavier so thought either 140 or 150...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am more curious about the rim being too small and/or rounding the tire more than it is supposed to be, the rim being a bit narrow for that size obviously

·
Registered
207 Posts
A wider rim would allow the tyre to spread out more giving a wider radius arc of tread, while the narrower standard rim will give a tighter radius arc of tread.
Apparently it's a cheat that has been used in Moto 2 rear tyres in the past to change the shape of the control tyre, so there a gauge to check the tread arc forms the correct radius.
If you want a flatter rear tyre arc you need a wider rim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts