Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just been quoted 6 hrs labour at £60 an hour for a 16K service, I ask is it worth having valve checks on a low revving back, hardly a supersport

Any one done it themselves , any tips?

2006 A6 Vara with 16, 500 on the clock - I should have it taken off me for scandalous low use

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a 08 Varadero and do most of the servicing my self .
When it came to the valves being checked I let Triggers in Loughborough do that . I think they charged me around £91 & that included two new iridium plugs & a air filter check .
I was quoted more than double that at a then HONDA dealer in Long Eaton & that price was only check& adjust valve clearance .
All this was around 18 months + ago.
I have used Triggers for mainy years & have all ways had excellent service at a reasonable price .

Ian.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I have an 08 varadero too and do most of the servicing myself, I hadn't done the valve clearances before but when they were due I got a Haynes manual and followed it to the letter and have to say it was pretty easy, for what it's worth I changed the cam chain tensioners at the same time and that was pretty easy too, have a go yourself, you will surprise yourself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I handed over an arm and a leg for my 16k Honda service on my 2006 (I like collecting stamps). No adjustment required. Had them checked again at 32k and 4 shims required. Relatively easy job, but I like stamps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 16 k service is renowned for being the " big one" personally I haven't had it done. I have 22k on my 12 machine now and had 30k on my 07 when I changed to the 12. Your bike should let you know when the valves need to be checked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 16 k service is renowned for being the " big one" personally I haven't had it done. I have 22k on my 12 machine now and had 30k on my 07 when I changed to the 12. Your bike should let you know when the valves need to be checked.

I disagree.
The four shims that needed adjustment on my bike, were only just outside of tolerance and I hadn't noticed anything at all. It's not something that happens overnight. It's a gradual process and would, in my opinion, only be noticeable when things were 'bad'!!

When somebody says a valve is "tight" they mean the clearance between the cam and valve tappet or the cam and rocker arm has diminished.

When the valve is completely closed, IE the valve spring is forcing the valve up against the valve seat, there has to be several thousandths of an inch clearance at that location on a cold engine -- theoretically as the engine warms up, the clearance closes up as the parts expand to be just a little bit more than zero.

If the clearance is too tight on a "tight valve" on a cold engine, as the engine warms up, the parts expand as usual and the valve may actually not be able to close all the way -- even when the cam lobe is 180* away from the valve/rocker, it may still be applying pressure to keep the valve slightly open.

This can cause valves, especially exhaust valves which are not cooled by incoming fuel/air, to burn up. They burn up because they are UNABLE to transfer their heat to the cylinder head because they don't completely contact it when they don't close all the way. Obviously, it also causes a "leaky" cylinder when it gets really bad and will affect performance.

Valves tend to get tight rather than loose because the valve seat or valve itself wears down from the valve repeatedly closing against it. As the seat/valve wears, the valve rises higher when closed thus diminishing that critical clearance.

It is far better to be proactive than reactive.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
As avove, the bike won't 'let you know' unless they are a long way out of spec.

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts

theoretically as the engine warms up, the clearance closes up as the parts expand to be just a little bit more than zero.

If the clearance is too tight on a "tight valve" on a cold engine, as the engine warms up, the parts expand as usual and the valve may actually not be able to close all the way -- even when the cam lobe is 180* away from the valve/rocker, it may still be applying pressure to keep the valve slightly open.

This can cause valves, especially exhaust valves which are not cooled by incoming fuel/air, to burn up. They burn up because they are UNABLE to transfer their heat to the cylinder head because they don't completely contact it when they don't close all the way. Obviously, it also causes a "leaky" cylinder when it gets really bad and will affect performance.

Valves tend to get tight rather than loose because the valve seat or valve itself wears down from the valve repeatedly closing against it. As the seat/valve wears, the valve rises higher when closed thus diminishing that critical clearance.

It is far better to be proactive than reactive.
Just to stress the point - it's not just theoretically - it does happen. And as you say on DOHC engines, the gap usually tightens up. It can lead to the valves being damaged (expensive).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the valves on my 2008 checked @ 16000 km. I had them checked twice after that. Once the mechanic had to add shims on the front and this fall when I got them checked again, he put shims on the rear cylinder. He told me that you can hear loose valves but when the valves are too tight, you can't tell. I have close to 90,000 km now. I say better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the valves on my 2008 checked @ 16000 km. I had them checked twice after that. Once the mechanic had to add shims on the front and this fall when I got them checked again, he put shims on the rear cylinder. He told me that you can hear loose valves but when the valves are too tight, you can't tell. I have close to 90,000 km now. I say better to be safe than sorry.
I too have a 2008. What was the klms when you first needed new shims?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had about 66,000 km, it was in 2013. I was having my service done on the bike before storing it for the winter and told the mechanic to check the valves. I may have needed shims before that but that was the mileage i had when I decided to have them check.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts