Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,and a very fine day to all.

It's been quite awhile and I'm back here with a question OR MAYBE A COUPLE MORE.:toothy10:

Has anyone done the conversion?any feedbacks?

The reason,i am doing much serious offroading on the AT.So tyre choices on the 17' rear is limited.
And I've actually have scored a rear XR rim,but was concern about the slightly smaller width dimension.
Not gonna use the AT on any long tours in any near future,so am giving this rim conversion a serious thought.

Thanks and cheers,
AJ

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi AJ,

Not sure what width the XR rim is but if it's 2.5" it will be fine.

I have fitted a Michelin Desert tyre 140 80 18 on my 2.5" rim as demostrated below by my daughter;

IMG00897-20120505-1100.jpg

Have a look at the post over on ADV Rider by Diskow and it may answer your questions.

The Africa Twin thread - Page 679 - ADVrider

The larger wheel also makes it a doddle to roll the bike back onto it's centre stand :thumbup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok,for those who thought this thread is just gonna disappear and the 18' project is not going to happen.....well....it's not going to happen.....yet!!!:toothy9:

Intro:
1st day I took the bike from the owner...2mths ago.

I tested the bike just 4hrs later and rode it for a short 2days trip somewhere across the border,and travelled 750km to and fro and see if it's alrite...well it pass the test.
And 2weeks after :

And the next weekend...rescueing a drowned XR.

And the week after...offroad is done more than the road.

and just last sunday...

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Calendar pictures some of those.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And so,I have decided to take the jump....into a point of no return....:toothy9:

The upgrade on the bike so far since I took over,I've bought Arrow header+remus rear end can from a friend who sold of his bike.So as of today,I've fitted a complete WR400Fs front end.

Here's the comparison of the WR400,CRF and stock AT clamp.

Comparison of both WR400 fork and the AT fork.

And with the help of my regular mechanic...

And a good clean to wash away those finger prints.

well...that's for now.

Next wishlist.
1.Valve clearance
2.Dyno Jets
3.18' rear 2.5 blue excel rims with stainless steel oversized spokes
4.Front blue excel rims with stainless steel oversized spokes.
5.320' front floating disc rotor with Hel brake hose.
6.Custom headfairings and headlens...

:color:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Looks fantastic - did the front end go on quite easily

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks fantastic - did the front end go on quite easily
Well..almost...because the CRF stem and clamp short of a missing stem nut....so,things became complicated and some weird mad scientist mod need to be done as of to use the WR4 stem and top triple clamp to go along with the CRF lower clamp.Have to weld and grind off to level the welding at the stem to cater the bearings...it's too complicated to explain..hence I said it's a weird mad scientist mod...
as of now...I just rode it from the bikeshop to home...so no adventure to test.The fork however needs some work as it's off a '99 WR400 race bike...so alot of beating on it...next week will put in new thicker grade oil and see how it goes..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi, I am looking at replacing my AT front end with a front end from a 2005 YZ250F. Did you shorten the WR Forks, or just put them on straight? also did you change the springs?

What did you do with the speedo?

Thanks, hopefully I can get this project completed. Just alot of technical issues to investigate before I start.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Looking good AJ

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi,thanks Paul.

Yup,I fitted the WR4 top clamp,stem,and lower crf clamp(a mistake).
reason,actually wanted to put both the crf top n bottom clamp together with the stem becoz the conditions of the CRF clamp is very new,and yes,becoz of theHonda logo on the top clamp.(very lame,i noe)
ok,the outcome,I still do have a loose stem feeling,not good at the meantime,a slight knocking feeling upon heavy impact on potholes.
As of today,I have successfully won the bid on a complete WR400 aftermarket triple clamp together with the stem.Gonna rework on it when it arrives.

As for the WR400 fork on the AT,i did nothing much to it,and tested on a short offroad session,the speedo,I use the WR400 speedo along side with the wheel.IMO,it works brilliant.Height and ground clearance are great improvement,braking power,of coz,a little weak,but good enuff for offroad,not sure how bout for high speed highway riding.

Till then..

Ok,the 18' conversion will start somewher around next week or so.when the aftermarket triple clamp arrive.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Thanks for the update AJ

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi thanks....

ok,got the rim today...sized 2.50.

Spokes being laced...

Tomorrow in search of tyre....at presant,only can get 130 size michelin T63...
Difficult to get the 140....was wondering,if 120 would be harmful for the AT?

any feedback please?

cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts