Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I just bought back my old XL, and am planning some light customisation. I'd like to fit a bigger headlamp, and ditch the plastic shroud - has anyone done this?

I'm basing the new look on this - 4h10 Dirty Sandy - the Bike Shed

minus the yellow light!

Any thoughts welcome

cheers

J

·
Registered
215 Posts
So am I! Don't know what it is, but that motorcycle just appeals to me.

I bought the same cemoto headlamp unit. It's a piece of shit and expensive (shipping) and the cemoto guy is a tea leaf but it looks the part.
The Universal Headlamp is all plastic and takes those old fashioned bulbs, BA20s. Looks like a small bayonet.

You would have to make up a bracket for the Universal headlamp like on DirtySandy. It is about an inch narrower than the XL's forks. Uses rubber ties.

I am thinking about a different headlamp now. The evolution of the design has changed over time. I still have this one if you are interested
2205.jpg
This is the stock photo. It comes with a white sticker on top as with 4h10's pictures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, sorry I wasn't clear...I want to keep a round headlamp, just a bigger one than what's on there now. I was thinking I'd need a Honda one, for ease of wiring or is that irrelevant? I'm going to the Stafford show ( Carole Nash) and will have a mooch around the stands there.

cheers

·
Registered
942 Posts
when i put my dominator scrambler together i ditched the original headlight and fitted a bates replica 5 1/2" headlight , its a generic part so may require a wire or 2 being altered but nothing too difficult for anyone thats used to messing with bikes , have a look on ebay you can find round headlights from 3" - 9" and brackets to fit them , i made my own brackets ,
couple of pics of my bike showing off the headlight
http://

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI Nick - your bike looks great. I think a Bates light like that would do it, suits the bike - I'll check them out. Can you tell me where you got your seat and exhaust done?? I was starting to look at exhaust people around Brum.

cheers

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
when i put my dominator scrambler together i ditched the original headlight and fitted a bates replica 5 1/2" headlight , its a generic part so may require a wire or 2 being altered but nothing too difficult for anyone thats used to messing with bikes , have a look on ebay you can find round headlights from 3" - 9" and brackets to fit them , i made my own brackets ,

Meh! I think 5 1/2 inches looks a bit girly to be honest:D:D:D

What you need is a good 7 or 8 inches to make your bike look the dogs wotsits :clown::clown::clown:

10389538_911450798875057_6608178976589512446_n.jpg

Some people say size dont matter:thumbup:

·
Registered
942 Posts
HI Nick - your bike looks great. I think a Bates light like that would do it, suits the bike - I'll check them out. Can you tell me where you got your seat and exhaust done?? I was starting to look at exhaust people around Brum.

cheers
the exhaust and seat are homemade by myself , exhaust uses original headers that i joined to make a 2 into 1 pipe with a muffler box hidden behind the side panels with two exit pipes finished with beetle tailpipes , currently working on a new setup similar but better ,
seats are fairly simple to make if you're a handy sort of chap , if you're not these guys based in birmingham do good work ive used them a few times over the years Motorbike Seat Cover | Motorcycle Seat Covers | Motor Bike Seats

Meh! I think 5 1/2 inches looks a bit girly to be honest:D:D:D

What you need is a good 7 or 8 inches to make your bike look the dogs wotsits :clown::clown::clown:
you starting arguments again , you'll be getting yourself a reputation as a trouble maker :D
besides i've always found my 5 1/2 " perfectly adequate thankyou

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Me troublemaker?

Must have me confused with someone else.......lol :D:D:D

Your bike does look seriously cool Nick and I cant wait to get mine back from the lekky man.:thumbup:

·
Registered
215 Posts

Still love looking at this bike.

Nick, where did you get the right side cover from? Is it a universal part?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks guys, sorry I wasn't clear...I want to keep a round headlamp, just a bigger one than what's on there now. I was thinking I'd need a Honda one, for ease of wiring or is that irrelevant? I'm going to the Stafford show ( Carole Nash) and will have a mooch around the stands there.

cheers
Jargle, are you wanting to keep the bike more or less original? Bigger is okay but those big 8" Baja style ones are an acquired taste and would, to my mind, look silly on a stock bike.
Trouble is, is doesn't look like Honda makes anything for offroad with round lights/housings anymore.

Post some pics :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Still love looking at this bike.

Nick, where did you get the right side cover from? Is it a universal part?
got the side panels here Classic PRE 65 Aluminum side pannels - Dunn Racing
then trimmed it to the shape i wanted , they seem to have been out of stock for a while so not sure if they are still available although the same panel shaped and pre drilled to fit a specific frame is still available , at twice the price , the oval number plate is currently on sale Aluminium Front Number Plate - Dunn Racing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update....frame powder coated, tank sanded and lacquered, seat recovered while on holiday in Mumbai (!), headlamp
Is a universal 7"
waiting to go on, getting a rear mudguard (ally) made to follow the arc of the frame. Blasted the engine and leaving bare, had it stripped and redone, apparently its in good shape. Rear light will be a solo red jobbie, from a custom shop

Not a great pic but gives you an idea

Attachments

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Update....frame powder coated, tank sanded and lacquered, seat recovered while on holiday in Mumbai (!), headlamp
Is a universal 7"
waiting to go on, getting a rear mudguard (ally) made to follow the arc of the frame. Blasted the engine and leaving bare, had it stripped and redone, apparently its in good shape. Rear light will be a solo red jobbie, from a custom shop

Not a great pic but gives you an idea
That looks really nice that does.
I went with a XL 500R tank on mine coz everyone seemed to be using only one style of tank.:thumbup:
I am happy with the way mine turned out and cant wait to do another one after I get my lads bike sorted. :D:D:D
Mine ended up like this after many design changes.

12404338_1296252017057479_1722562898_n.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks ace. Love the exhausts and the swing arm looks smart in black. Cool. Did you fabricate that rear mudguard yourself? Mine will be similar albeit a little shorter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And here's the side number, held by my glamourous assistant Miss Left Hand. Brushed aluminium. Next, lumberjack shirt, pointless chain on jeans and comedy beard.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That looks ace. Love the exhausts and the swing arm looks smart in black. Cool. Did you fabricate that rear mudguard yourself? Mine will be similar albeit a little shorter.
The mudguard was sourced from a British bike breakers here in Denmark and the exhausts came off a Honda CRF 450R in Germany ,its a Leo Vince which I think sounds awesome....I think I might have a video of it.
https://youtu.be/h5Rez9UgEC8

Its sounds much better @ 50mph

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see you were happy about it starting! Sounds awesome, great job. Will post more pics as I progress.

cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts