Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy lads and ladies

I've picked up an 85 XL 250 which as far as I can make out is an XLX250R and seems to have been a model for Brazil, Oz, NZ and Japan but not sure. I'm struggling to find info on it and parts are very confusing. I did find one thread somewhere that suggested these were an end of life XL 250 with some XR 250/350 parts but no idea how true that is. I've been looking at wemoto, david silver, cmsnl and can't see any xlx on any of them so any pointers on what model would be most approriate.

She fires on first or second kick and pulls well. Needs new fork seals and I'd say its on the original brake shoes but I've adjusted them and they are OK for the moment. She's leaking oil from the right hand side crankcase, gasket needs to be replaced. The plan is to ride her a bit till the weather turns to rubbish in Oct / Nov and then I will tackle the big jobs.

So any pointers or suggestions welcome, I'm beginning to think she's a keeper so I may look at doing a full restore down the road. Any ideas how I'd go about finding the history of where it was originally sold.

Few pics for ref warts and all

And what I guess is the sales advert

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, found another set of wheels so going to refurb the rear and use the front hub to make a 17" front so I can fit a set of supermoto / road tyres for soem road use, coffee spins into the city. Hopefully get that sorted over the winter for next summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy lads and ladies

I've picked up an 85 XL 250 which as far as I can make out is an XLX250R and seems to have been a model for Brazil, Oz, NZ and Japan but not sure. I'm struggling to find info on it and parts are very confusing. I did find one thread somewhere that suggested these were an end of life XL 250 with some XR 250/350 parts but no idea how true that is. I've been looking at wemoto, david silver, cmsnl and can't see any xlx on any of them so any pointers on what model would be most approriate.

She fires on first or second kick and pulls well. Needs new fork seals and I'd say its on the original brake shoes but I've adjusted them and they are OK for the moment. She's leaking oil from the right hand side crankcase, gasket needs to be replaced. The plan is to ride her a bit till the weather turns to rubbish in Oct / Nov and then I will tackle the big jobs.

So any pointers or suggestions welcome, I'm beginning to think she's a keeper so I may look at doing a full restore down the road. Any ideas how I'd go about finding the history of where it was originally sold.

Howdy lads and ladies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for that, found another set of wheels so going to refurb the rear and use the front hub to make a 17" front so I can fit a set of supermoto / road tyres for soem road use, coffee spins into the city. Hopefully get that sorted over the winter for next summer.
Hi, I've got 2 of those bikes, both 1983 Jap spec. The VIN starts with MD08-100.
Impex Japan have parts diagrams for the bike. Some of the bits are the same as US spec XR350 1984 bikes. I've also found bits in Italy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I've got 2 of those bikes, both 1983 Jap spec. The VIN starts with MD08-100.
Impex Japan have parts diagrams for the bike. Some of the bits are the same as US spec XR350 1984 bikes. I've also found bits in Italy.
Hello there :) can i ask you something i am a bit confused ! my registration number says MD08 1007466 but on the title deed say 1995 that it means import in Greece in 1995 not made in the year of 1995 ?can you answer me please and sorry for my bad english my name is Theo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello there :) can i ask you something i am a bit confused ! my registration number says MD08 1007466 but on the title deed say 1995 that it means import in Greece in 1995 not made in the year of 1995 ?can you answer me please and sorry for my bad english my name is Theo
Hi,

The XLX250RD with MD08 VIN was built for the Japanese market and as far as I am aware, only in 1983.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

The XLX250RD with MD08 VIN was built for the Japanese market and as far as I am aware, only in 1983.
I would like ro thank you for the usefull information ! And another one last question i forgot to ask you the XLX250RD Japan 🇯🇵 is the engine is the same with XR 250 Europe ? if not was the big differences if you know ? Thanks 🙏 Again !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like ro thank you for the usefull information ! And another one last question i forgot to ask you the XLX250RD Japan 🇯🇵 is the engine is the same with XR 250 Europe ? if not was the big differences if you know ? Thanks 🙏 Again !!
Hi Theo,

I'm sorry but I don't own a european XL/XR to compare engine parts with my XLX. You could compare part numbers on Impex, may give you an idea if crankshaft, cylinder, pistons are the same.

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts