Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
As the title suggests, i am not getting any output from any of the plugs (all new ones). Any ideas what would be a probable cause? i am a little thrown by the fact that both cylinders are affected. Ignition and kill switch are ok. surely if a HT lead, pulse generator or cdi were at fault i would still get a spark on the other pot????? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks,
Chuz.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Has it blown a Fuse?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good morning all,
thanks for the replies chaps. I have checked all of the fuses which are good but will have a look at the sidestand switch. With the stand down does it just isolate the ignition or does it also isolate the starter preventing the engine from turning over?
cheers
Chuz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just attempted to have a look at the sidestand switch and to my surprise there isnt one fitted to this model!!!!! It is the very earliest of transalps so i guess it was added to later models. back to the head scratching i guess.
Chuz

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
I take it that the bike is turning over - just no sign of a spark, what so ever?

If the engine is spinning then, from the circuit diagram, there's only the ignition circuit to look at.

The supply to the CDIs is the Black / White wire from the Stop Switch.

The Green wire is Earth.

These are common to both CDIs, the specific wiring is as follows (second CDI in brackets) -

Black / Blue (Black / Yellow) - to ignition coils.

Blue and White pair (Yellow and White pair) - from the Pulse Generator Coils.

There's not a lot else really.

Hope that this is some help.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Many thanks Lutin,

Time to put my coffee cup down and get back to it. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again
Chuz.

By the way, you are correct about the motor turning over but no sparks at any plugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's alive!!!!
After a day of inspecting wiring diagrams and the looms themselves i have found a corroded connector between the CDI's and the pulse generators. Although each cylinder has its own related system comprising of the CDI's and pulse gens, both systems do share a common connector which is hidden fairly well and i guess is rarely seen.
Many thanks for your help and advice guys, i'm off out for a ride.
Chuz.:thumbright:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I knew it was a simple fix, Hondas are after all bulletproof.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know this is an older post , but exactly the same symptoms as I have.. I've pm'd the original post opener so hopefully he can point me to the right block connector

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an older post , but exactly the same symptoms as I have.. I've pm'd the original post opener so hopefully he can point me to the right block connector
I have a similar problem on my 1987 Xl 600V. Did you have any luck locating the connector?

My problem is one cylinder (both coils) not firing, if I swap the CDI units then the fault moves cylinder. I have a replacement CDI but this does not work? I have been told that post 1988 the CDI was wired differently. Does anyone know if the wiring can be modified for the later CDI or where I can obtain an original 1987 CDI?

Many thanks

Andy

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Known Problems

i am pretty sure any pre-1998 CDIs will work

>>>>>

Here now are the Honda part## of the CDIs for RD06-Transalps (PD10 Transalps 1997-1999 only have one CDI):
Honda part#Marking, printed on the coverModel code & yearPrice app. EUR
30410-MM9-008MM9 CI529XL600VH, 1987170.-
30410-MM9-830MM9 CI558XL600VJ, 1988170.-
30410-MS8-610MS8 CI558XL600VK ff, 1989-1995250.-

I actually don't know, why the MS8 CDIs are so much more expensive. The functionality is substantially the same, and as many Transalpers have tested (including me), you can mix MM9 and MS8 CDIs in your bike. It doesn't appear to affect anything in engine or electrical system.
One thing, however, is notable: Since model XL600VJ a switch, operated by the sidestand, is connected to the CDIs, and it cuts off the ignition, when sidestand is out, and a gear and the clutch is engaged. MM9 CI529 of XL600VH doesn't have this functionality, and this will lead to problems during German TÜV technical examination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Known Problems

i am pretty sure any pre-1998 CDIs will work

>>>>>

Here now are the Honda part## of the CDIs for RD06-Transalps (PD10 Transalps 1997-1999 only have one CDI):
Honda part#Marking, printed on the coverModel code & yearPrice app. EUR
30410-MM9-008MM9 CI529XL600VH, 1987170.-
30410-MM9-830MM9 CI558XL600VJ, 1988170.-
30410-MS8-610MS8 CI558XL600VK ff, 1989-1995250.-

I actually don't know, why the MS8 CDIs are so much more expensive. The functionality is substantially the same, and as many Transalpers have tested (including me), you can mix MM9 and MS8 CDIs in your bike. It doesn't appear to affect anything in engine or electrical system.
One thing, however, is notable: Since model XL600VJ a switch, operated by the sidestand, is connected to the CDIs, and it cuts off the ignition, when sidestand is out, and a gear and the clutch is engaged. MM9 CI529 of XL600VH doesn't have this functionality, and this will lead to problems during German TÜV technical examination.

Thanks for getting back to me.

From my research today it appears that specifically for 1987-1988 the Transalp CDI was a different part number to the later models which explains why the Chinese ones previously ordered do not work. My bike has no side stand switch but does have a switch on the clutch and is I guess an Italian import.

I have ordered 2 from this site CDI unit, Control unit, Ignition box Honda XL 600 V Transalp PD06, 1987-1988 new | eBay and hope this solves my problem. I will let you know. £110 for a pair delivered sounds like good value if they work.

The part numbers listed on this suppliers ebay site are MM9 2015-10 as a replacement for OEM 30410 - MM 9-610 which is not listed above which could back this up.

I would like to know what the difference is and if a wiring mod can be done to allow others to be used.

Many thanks Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
i've got one of these that i ordered, but never used

CDI unit, Control unit, Ignition box Honda XL 600 V Transalp PD06 | eBay

if you want to ride up to North London with your transalp you can try it out

That is very kind of you, unfortunately I am at work in Folkestone all week and with 1 CDI down the bike runs like a 3 legged donkey so is currently sulking in the workshop back home.

I am happy to buy it off you or replace it with one of the two I have ordered.

Many thanks

Andy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts