Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Didn't feel the quake (we are about 70 miles south of the center point).

Can't say how much I enjoy the RD03 these days. It is light, nimble, smooth and solid. Everything I want in an adventure bike!

Bit more good news to add to the thread: I'm importing another RD03! I'll either restore it like I did with this one or build a Dakar replica.

What do you think? Restoration or replica?

·
Registered
281 Posts

Can't say how much I enjoy the RD03 these days. It is light, nimble, smooth and solid. Everything I want in an adventure bike!

Bit more good news to add to the thread: I'm importing another RD03! I'll either restore it like I did with this one or build a Dakar replica.

Replica
What colour scheme is the next debate!
Original Honda would be my own choice.

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts

Glad you're out of the quake zone!

Q: restoration or replica?

A: (well my answer!) The RD03 is quite a rare bike, and even more so in the US. If you've purchased a fairly complete bike, it would be a shame to butcher it, although I guess it would be a good source of spares for your first bike. If you've bought a bike that's already got bits missing or needs a good deal of work, then perhaps making a Dakar rep would be the way to go.
You're original RD03 was one of the best restorations I've seen, and considering you're on the wrong side of the pond for spares etc, I thought you did a fantastic job, so the next one should be a tad easier?!!

I have a very loose plan for one of my RD03's next year, which would see me bringing it over to the US, having a bit of a plod around, then probably selling out there, hopefully to finance bringing back an old pickup, so I'll keep in touch and have a chat nearer the time.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Replica
What colour scheme is the next debate!
Original Honda would be my own choice.
I'd always fancied building a replica, but always end up putting them mostly back to standard.

If or when I eventually get round to it, I'd love to make an RD03 look as closely as an NXR in the Charro livery, or, an RD03/04 in a fantasy livery of 70's Martini Racing l(similar to HRC colours) or a whacky Skaol Bandit livery!!

Bob :bom:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hey Bob! I'll send you a PM on your plans. :thumbup:

On the replica vs. restoration topic...the bike I am getting is complete, but a bit rough. It will need a total tear-down like my current RD03. My inclination is to do another restoration and get it better this time. But I keep thinking how much fun it would be to make a Marathon:

...or (something close to) the Charro bike:

·
Registered
371 Posts

Excellent news, whatever you decide to do I will look forward to the rebuild report. Cheers Jon

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Take your pick Sam.....................:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
RWB :) fastest colours :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Here'S the possible 6th AT in Canada. Shipped mine from Paris on Tuesday. Shall be in Montreal by mid February. We spent 5 weeks on the road between Spain, France, Italy and Tunisia. We had a blast.

What did you do with the stickers? Did you find a good supplier or did you reproduce them yourself?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts