Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have four pin and two pin plugs for the CDI could anybody let me know what colour wires go in each hole if you are looking at the plugs with the locking tab on the top, ie top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right for the four pin and just left and right for the two pin plug

Cannot seem to find a diagram anywhere

Any advice greatly received

·
Registered
206 Posts
This might help.
I did have a picture of mine that I took before extending the wiring to reposition the CDI but can't find it I'm afraid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/QUOTE]thanks Ian

I've had exactly the same problem with bad wiring as per the post you found for me. I'm building a street scrambler out of the bike and have moved the CDI unit under the seat, I did draw a diagram of where the wires went on the plugs and it matches the diagram the other gentleman posted. I just wondered if I had incorrectly labelled them.

like him I have all the lights, indicators, horn and starter motor turning over but no spark at the moment, I guess I will have to go back though all the wires and maybe check the earths as well as I had the frame powder coated and although I thought I had taken enough paint off for an earth are wondering now if that was the case. bike definitely ran before stripping down.

Many thanks for your help it did enable me to check something at least

·
Registered
206 Posts
Happy days, also let me know if you would like to rule out an CDI fault. A fellow member gifted me 2 ebay CDI units and I posted a while back that if anyone wants to borrow one they are welcome to. These unit have dropped in price over the last few years but they are still the sort of thing you only want to buy if you need to.
I've now repaired the soldered joints on my original honda CDI at least twice now but they can die with no warning.

The NX is weird that they have a resistor in the plug cap and one in the plug and will only show a very weak spark when earthing out the plug. I had the resistor in the plug lead die once which sent me all around the houses trying to diagnose it. Eliminate the plug or cap by trying to earth out the HT lead after removing it from the plug. I wish I'd tried that first, I had convinced myself it was the pulse generator that was at fault.

Another thought, do you still have the side stand switch in place, if that is not working it may stop the bike from sparking unless the clutch is pulled.

Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi ian

Thanks for your tips I had a quick look at it today and checked the continuity of the six wires going to the CDI unit that I have moved and they all look okay reading 0.02. I do have the side stand switch connected as it was before so it would be odd to suddenly stop working but not impossible

The bike was in a terrible state when I purchased being out in the guys garden for a year with just a plastic sheet over it but did start although ran rough. I had it serviced before I started tearing it down with the valve clearances done, full carb rebuild and oil service and it was running fine so would like to take up your kind offer to try the CDI unit as I have read many times people having trouble with them

Looking at the coil the ht lead appears to be joined to it and not detachable although I haven’t got it off yet to see properly do you know if that’s the case.

My mobile no is 07860 562106 if you want to drop me a text so I can send you my address obviously happy to pay for the postage I guess it’s a case of trying to eliminate one thing at a time but my electrical knowledge I would be first to admit is very limited

·
Registered
206 Posts
No worries, I’ll send you a text.

The ht lead just unscrews from the coil and plug cap. They have a threaded bar that screws into the lead.
Happy hunting. 👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts