Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have recently bought a 1994 xrv750 it is in very good condition. it had not been used for about 5 or 6 years i have stripped and cleaned and serviced the bike and it starts and runs perfectly. but on my first outing i stopped the bike for about half an hour and went back to the bike and it started but as soon as i put the headlights on it died no dash lights or headlights or tripmaster. i switched the ignition on and off and nothing i was away from home so i only had the bike toolkit. i checked all the fuses and any wiggled any connection i could find but nothing the only way i could start it was cross out the starter solenoid and once the starter turned over the dashboard lights came on and it would start from the button but put on the headlights and it would die so i rode the bike home with no lights.
i have stripped the bike and checked and cleaned the earth points, checked and cleaned the plug and fuse on the starter solenoid. i am good with a multimeter, battery is good and regulator and rectifier charging voltage is perfect. i have checked all the headlight switch and bulbs etc. it is intermitent put ignition on and put the headlight on and everything goes dead and turn off the headlight and the ignition lights come back on then try another time and turn on the ignition and put on the lights and it dies and turn off the headlights and it stays dead and eventually the dash lights come back on.then the next time it works perfectly.
i have stripped the ignition switch out to test the switch but it is working everytime now so i cant rule it out.
any ideas would be helpfull

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That's a real head scratcher. One thought is that it seems it dies when you put a large current draw on, ie, the headlights. If there is a dodgy battery connection (seems a common fault), or bad joint in the live feed to the ignition, the headlight draw could be enough to lower the voltage to the point where the ignition etc drop out. Try putting your multimeter on various points along the positive feed to the ignition switch, then switch your sidelights on and look at the volt drop. Then do the same with the headlights.

I can't see it being a short circuit, as you haven't said anything about blown fuses. I'm guessing that once the bike is running, the generator is supplying enough juice to run everything, but with the engine off, a dodgy connection in the positive feed won't allow the battery to run everything. If this is the cause, you shouldn't run it like that for any length of time, as you risk damaging the reg/rec.

That's all that I can think of for now, but please let us know what you find. Be systematic with checking, follow each circuit in turn and check the likely things first, even if they look OK. I'm assuming you have a wiring diagram; if not, get a manual, it really helps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, thanks for the replies, i have checked the fuse on the starter relay the bike had died and there was 12volts at the connections on the plug beside the fuse but no lights. i will test it over the next week and try and get the fault to occur so i can trace the power. the strange bit is it will start and run but it goes off when you put the headlights on i would have thought it would use a fair bit of power to turn over the starter but using the headlights must use more power. it hasnt blew any fuses it just comes back on eventually,
its a great bike i really like it i always wanted one from the early 90s when they were new, i had a cbr1100xx before and it had a fault which was hard to trace and i never really trusted the bike to go any distance, once i had found the fault and sorted it i sold it. i dont want this to be the same

·
Registered
114 Posts
That sounds like a real pain in the neck, it must be something wrong with the wiring to the lights. Could it be something wrong with the left bar switches? Maybe water ingress or dodgy connection in there somewhere? The clutch switch is there which could maybe cause the bike to cut out?!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My personal "random electrical gremlin" response is to shoot a stream of ACF50 into the switches, including into the key/lock mechanism - you need the key part way in so it can find it's way around, then give them a good, but gentle 'working over'.

It never seems to do any harm & often miraculously eliminates the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi, thanks for all the replies i think i have found the problem. went out to the bike and it was dead when i turned the key checked the battery checked the plug on starter solenoid, all had 12.8 volts so worked my way up to the ignition switch to test it and turned the steering to get access and the dash lights came on. so traced the cables back down the headstock under the petrol tank and the cables had been retaped at some point so i removed the tape and there was a melted terminal block joining the red wire together so i have removed it and the cables were bad so i have soldered the wire back together so i will test it over the next few weeks and report back, thanks craig

·
Registered
281 Posts
hi, thanks for all the replies i think i have found the problem. went out to the bike and it was dead when i turned the key checked the battery checked the plug on starter solenoid, all had 12.8 volts so worked my way up to the ignition switch to test it and turned the steering to get access and the dash lights came on. so traced the cables back down the headstock under the petrol tank and the cables had been retaped at some point so i removed the tape and there was a melted terminal block joining the red wire together so i have removed it and the cables were bad so i have soldered the wire back together so i will test it over the next few weeks and report back, thanks craig
Same thing happened to a X L 600 I had once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts