Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been meaning to strip the rear end off this bike since i bought it in 2010 but only now getting around to it. No play at all in the linkage but not long after i bought the bike i noticed the rear end creaking when getting on and off the bike then it stopped and i forgot about it. As i suspected one of the bearings is seized along with the bolt and another badly corroded bearing.

As usual its the most difficult bolt to get at that has seized. Had to strip the swingarm off to get at it and the center stand has to come off to take the bolt out if it hadnt seized which is a bit of a problem as thats whats holding the bike up but since i'm cutting the bolt it can stay on for now
IMG_9040.JPG

First job is to drill the head off the bolt lukily i had some long cobolt drill bits i bought for a different job a few years ago and long they need to be
IMG_9044.JPG

I started with a small bit and worked my way up to 10mm as that is what diameter the bolt is
IMG_9042.JPG

Didnt take long and the head is off, i had to put a maul grip on the thead the other end to stop the bolt from turning once the head came off so i could drill a bit deaper on the bolt shaft
IMG_9046.JPG

Next was to cut the thread off this would have been a real problem if it wasnt for this little air powered reciprecating saw fitted with a cut down cobolt hacksaw blade, i bought it years ago to cut the swingarm spindle off a scrap XR400 i bought for spares. It took a while but it went through ok
IMG_9051.JPG

IMG_9050.JPG

Once all cut i used a tyre lever to pry the linkage out
IMG_9047.JPG

IMG_9052.JPG

And shes out
IMG_9053.JPG

I was quite suprised how good the condition of the rest of the bolts were for a 26 year old bike
IMG_9055.JPG

Now to order some spares

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a battery powered reciprocating saw but the blade moves in and out too far so this was a better option with its short stroke

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just ordered new seals and bearings from here half the price of Honda and the same bearings had to get the bolt and bearing collars from Honda though

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So to kill some more time i made a tool to press the new bearings and seal back in when they arrive,made from a large bolt.
I screwed the nut half way up the bolt and welded in place then cut the head off the bolt, I should have taken the photo before i started

IMG_9058.JPG

All finished the right side is to push the bearing in, the step in the larger diameter is to make sure the bearing is pushed in the correct depth to allow the space for the seal to fit, the left side is to push the seal in flush after the bearing, well that's the theory anyway lol
IMG_9059.JPG

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well no parts have a arrived so looks like the bikes staying like this for a while :(

IMG_9057.JPG

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To my surprise the bearings showed up today. The bearing and seal insertion tool i made worked great

IMG_9143.JPG

IMG_9144.JPG

Bearings pushed in equally each side
IMG_9145.JPG

And now for the seal
IMG_9146.JPG

IMG_9147.JPG

IMG_9148.JPG

Everything has now been painted waiting for it to dry and once the collars and bolt arrive from Honda i can reassemble everything :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Brilliant writeup. Thank you. I am sure it will be useful to many trying to do this job.
Loving the homemade tool too. You are a proper talented man Fred.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brilliant writeup. Thank you. I am sure it will be useful to many trying to do this job.
Loving the homemade tool too. You are a proper talented man Fred.
Thanks for your kind words (y) normally this would be a days work including painting as i'm a bit impatient, but being on lock down has given me the time to do things at a more relaxed pace, i got excited this morning when the postman knocked thought it was the last of my parts turned out to be for the wife :( not too disappointed though as it will give the paint time to cure properly before i go bashing it about

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to lake the back end off the bike to tidy it up looking quite rusty under there. When taking the indicators off i had to undo a load of insulation tape around the wires when investigating why the tape was on there i found for some bizarre reason a previous owner had cut the wires off the indicators and soldered them onto the the opposite one using orange cable to extend them and couldn't even get that right, they had the live going to earth the reason the fuse didn't blow is because the brackets the indicators bolt onto are rubber mounted and are isolated from the frame anyhow i swapped them back the way they were supposed to be minus all the slack that was there

IMG_9161.JPG

I also made this exhaust deflector plate, i got the scott oiler touring kit and noticed when taking things apart it was being melted by the hot exhaust gasses you can see the bow in the number plate where it was catching the exhaust gasses and deflecting them behind the number plate getting everything hot there. This wouldn't happen with the standard exhaust but the venom exhaust is a lot shorter than the standard one

IMG_9165.JPG

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rest of the suspension parts were waiting for me when i got home from work yesterday thought i'd get it all together last night but forgot i need a new chain slider for the swing arm ordered a genuine one from rugged roads so waiting for that before i put the swing arm on
The new bolt i got to replace the one i cut off is a bit awkward to put in as you need to take off the centre stand and to get that off you need to take off the exhaust but i managed to do it by removing the one sleeve on the side the bolt goes in from. Which was a pain to put back in with the springs attached but really didn't want to take the exhaust off or the centre stand springs :)

IMG_9170.JPG

While waiting for the parts to arrive i made this bracket to stiffen up the back end as it bounces about with the weight of the scottoiler touring reservoir on there. The threaded holes were already in the frame not sure what they were for but were perfect to mount this

IMG_9172.JPG

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Nice work Fred. Hope you are keeping well? It's been a while since the Ligurian! Just finished revamping mine as well. Not quite as bad as yours to start with but feels really good now it has new bearings in the monoshock linkage. Test rode and thought might as well do the fork oil and grease the head bearings next. Yours is the best colour scheme as well.;)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice work Fred. Hope you are keeping well? It's been a while since the Ligurian! Just finished revamping mine as well. Not quite as bad as yours to start with but feels really good now it has new bearings in the monoshock linkage. Test rode and thought might as well do the fork oil and grease the head bearings next. Yours is the best colour scheme as well.;)
Thanks Tone still cleaning the dust from behind the faring after crossing the plain back then LOL The front end is next on the list got to get some fork oil here first though. Chain slider arrived from rugged roads today so its all back together now

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Thanks Tone still cleaning the dust from behind the faring after crossing the plain back then LOL The front end is next on the list got to get some fork oil here first though. Chain slider arrived from rugged roads today so its all back together now
Steering head bearings greased tonight while waiting for the fork oil to arrive! I run about a cm of large penny washers above the standard 2 springs and go for 7.5W. What about you Fred?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steering head bearings greased tonight while waiting for the fork oil to arrive! I run about a cm of large penny washers above the standard 2 springs and go for 7.5W. What about you Fred?
I haven't even thought about it, i was bouncing on it last night and thought it felt a little soft on the front so might give that a go myself (y)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've moved onto the front end now. The brakes been dragging for a long time so took the calipers off and exercised the pistons in and out cleaning and lubing until they started pumping out at the same time but still had the brakes dragging when fitted. I could see little whiskers of rubber sticking out around the piston so ordered new seals and while i was at it i bit the bullet and ordered 3 new discs and pads from EBC as the discs needed doing when i bought the bike 10 years ago. I came home to these tonight :)

IMG_9246.JPG

When i took the old discs off i could see why i was having dragging brakes bloody disc is warped
IMG_9252.JPG

After fitting the new pads and discs its still dragging but not as bad so still doing the seal job i ordered the seals from rugged roads but found out tonight i didn't actually order them looks like i done everything except pay for them by the look of it :rolleyes: so re ordered tonight anyhow these are the new discs fitted
IMG_9254.JPG

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Good thread Fred, dunno how I missed it ?
I just put a brand new shock on mine days before the lock down, didn't look at anything else due to time. Now with a bit of time spare, I might strip the linkage down and give it the once over. Now I can cheat a bit and follow your moves ! :)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Sohoeasy Thanks. If you do need parts when you strip it I got the bearings and seals from this place half the price of Honda and the same bearings

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Seals arrived tonight great service from rugged roads as usual but when they arrived i'd ordered two as that's how many calipers there are on the front but they are per piston so should have ordered four, this old age thing is no fun sometimes lol Also the price of them made me think i was getting a set per caliper :)
IMG_9260.JPG

First i pumped the brake pistons almost all the way out remember to top up the master cylinder as you go or you will run out of fluid then i crimped off the brake line with my home made clamp. Its just 2 bits of 20mm galv conduit and a maul grips worked a treat
IMG_9261.JPG

Made a scraper for the seal grove out of an old welding rod
IMG_9263.JPG

That worked a treat as well, lots of corrosion in the outer seal grove so i can see why things were not moving freely, My scraper was even good for hooking the old seals out
IMG_9262.JPG

So one caliper rebuilt with new seals and the other with the old ones until i get the new ones, the pistons were OK just buffed them up a bit on the polishing mop. When i put everything back together there's only a slight drag now or should i say rub hoping that will go after the new pads and discs bed in. Now all i need is a test ride.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Excellent job Fred. I see you are using the proper red rubber grease too. Top tip for people learning from your threads. :) That was a lot of corrosion. These XRV calipers do really seem to be made of cheddar. The thin outer lip goes really quickly too, then corrosion behind the dust seals sets ultra-quickly. I keep thinking up how I could re-make the outer surface/lip, but I never quite got around to trying one of those aluminium-weld rod thingies yet. I bought a decent set off callipers ebay, so probably don't have "the mother of all invention" pushing me along yet. :) Should really figure out what to use to paint the ones I have instead.

Anyways. great job.. keep it up mate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts