Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a bike that was registered new in 2000 but appears to be a 1997 model. Seems to be standard including exhaust. Left it out with my mechanic who reckons "half the horses are sleeping" :-D Been reading about Gordon's mods etc on this forum and am I right in thinking that the 1997 bike was set up from standard to be run without the exhaust can insert and therefore removing this should make quite a difference without rejetting anything or making any other changes?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Bought a bike that was registered new in 2000 but appears to be a 1997 model. Seems to be standard including exhaust. Left it out with my mechanic who reckons "half the horses are sleeping" :-D Been reading about Gordon's mods etc on this forum and am I right in thinking that the 1997 bike was set up from standard to be run without the exhaust can insert and therefore removing this should make quite a difference without rejetting anything or making any other changes?
All XR400 bikes are set to run from standard with the insert in the silencer removed, the insert does not make any difference to power it only effects decibles and makes it quieter, mine was on standard jetting 162, but ran far too rich on that i dropped it to 145 and that made it much smoother and got rid of a big flat spot around 2000rpm

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Thanks Jason - pardon my ignorance but would rejetting to 145 work on my bike too or is that bike/year specific?
The bikes are basically identical from start to finish all years so it is possible, if your not having any problems don't bother with it but if you think you are having fueling issues i would put a fresh new spark plug in it take it for a run for 20mins bring it home allow it too cool down remove the plug and see what colour it is or if it's got carbon on it. If it has it would be worth adjusting it i got a bag of jets from offroad only as it was cheaper to by several for trial and error purposes and only pay 1 set of postage. I got the jets from offroad only and they were between £1.50 - £2.00 each. Offroadonly don't have a great website so is best to ring them but they do sell everything

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. So the mechanic told me on Friday that the plug is like new. Would that indicate that fuelling at present is ok and that the only way to get more power is to rejet? I had thought that removing the baffle would give more power and free it all up but if it doesn't make any difference then there isn't much point.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Ok. So the mechanic told me on Friday that the plug is like new. Would that indicate that fuelling at present is ok and that the only way to get more power is to rejet? I had thought that removing the baffle would give more power and free it all up but if it doesn't make any difference then there isn't much point.
If the plug is like new then there's no reason to rejet as fueling would be correct all rejetting will do is make it run rich. The bikes were never designed for power they were designed for high torque. My bike when it was 440cc with lots of go faster bits made 34bhp on the dyno when i put it back to standard it went to 29bhp. Whats it like for compression? with new rings and things in it mine at 400cc standard piston the kickstarter on compression stroke would just about hold my weight without moving that 13 1/2 stone

Reactions: davidgibson999

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll let you know about compression when I get the bike back. Maybe the bike has all the power it's meant to have. Thanks for the replies Jason. :thumbup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the plug is like new then there's no reason to rejet as fueling would be correct all rejetting will do is make it run rich. The bikes were never designed for power they were designed for high torque. My bike when it was 440cc with lots of go faster bits made 34bhp on the dyno when i put it back to standard it went to 29bhp. Whats it like for compression? with new rings and things in it mine at 400cc standard piston the kickstarter on compression stroke would just about hold my weight without moving that 13 1/2 stone
Sorry for delayed response. No way would the kick starter hold my weight (11.5st) on compression stroke. Is that a problem?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
the xr's usually have an auto decompressor this will make the bike feel like there is no compression there when kicking it over :thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
the xr's usually have an auto decompressor this will make the bike feel like there is no compression there when kicking it over :thumbup:
The 400 has a manual decompression lever under the clutch lever

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yup and an auto decompressor, only ever needed to use the manual one when i fell off mine to clear the cylinder so it would restart easier which was quite often.:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts