Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suffered a breakdown, was quite concerned. Got the bike home and the next day it started straight away, however i discovered the water was very very low, so I took off the fuel tank to check all the water pipes. All is good and I am putting it all back together, but I have found the choke cables, with nowhere to connect them. I have what appears to be electronic choke? I have only had the bike 6 months, so a steep learning curve. Any help will be much appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suffered a breakdown, was quite concerned. Got the bike home and the next day it started straight away, however i discovered the water was very very low, so I took off the fuel tank to check all the water pipes. All is good and I am putting it all back together, but I have found the choke cables, with nowhere to connect them. I have what appears to be electronic choke? I have only had the bike 6 months, so a steep learning curve. Any help will be much appreciated View attachment 165376

·
Registered
763 Posts
Have you downloaded the service manual for the bike? Have a search and look for a useful PDF document. And / or get the Haynes manual > Honda Motorcycle XL600V (1987 - 1999) Repair Manuals

Are you sure it hasn't been disconnected. Often the plastic choke fitting breaks as it gets brittle with age and owners just blank it off. There are replacements available from Rugged Roads wesbsite > Aluminium Choke Valve Guide

Also the thing by your thumb is a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) not an electronic choke.

Also bookmark this for parts reference

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you downloaded the service manual for the bike? Have a search and look for a useful PDF document. And / or get the Haynes manual > Honda Motorcycle XL600V (1987 - 1999) Repair Manuals

Are you sure it hasn't been disconnected. Often the plastic choke fitting breaks as it gets brittle with age and owners just blank it off. There are replacements available from Rugged Roads wesbsite > Aluminium Choke Valve Guide

Also the thing my your thumb is a TPS (Throttle Posistion Sensor) not a elctronic choke.

Also bookmark this for parts reference

I am so grateful, it does appear they were loose prior to my fiddling, and the chokes do appear to have been blocked off. I'm wondering if i should reinstate, or will i create issues?

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you restore the choke to original then it should work as it did when it left the factory - when the plastic choke fitting broke it likely wasn't readily available as an individual part - so folk just removed the choke system. Same problem effects other Honda models so folk first used rejigged Polaris snowmobile choke fittings or made their own replacements from brass/aluminium/titanium in a cottage industry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts