Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s taken just over a year to do a full nut and bolt rebuild of this amazing bike, it is a full spec UK bike with the benefit of a German frame that is all original paintwork and absolutely no rust! The AT has a fresh MOT, a full service and ready for you to jump on and take you around the world. Rather than talk through everything I’ve done on the bike I have listed the main points, also loads of photos of the build stages. Starts first time and rides as superbly as it looks. Looking £3600, this is pretty much what parts have cost me, if your intrested just drop me a pm and I'll get back to you.

• Forks stripped, stanchions polished, powder coated bottom sliders, springs measured, new inner and outer slider bushes fitted, new inner seal and outer dust seal fitted, new fork oil.
  • New Varta fibre glass sheet gel battery
  • Upgraded regulator
  • Engine removed and painted. Valve clearances checked and set to tolerance. Final drive shaft in great condition with no sign of wear
  • New DID Gold chain and sprockets fitted
  • All brake callipers powder coated and new brake pads all round
  • Front brake callipers stripped, cylinders polished, new seals fitted, new stainless steel pistons fitted. HEL Stainless steel braided brake lines, brake master cylinder upgraded to CBR master for firmer more responsive braking.
  • Brand new brake discs front and rear
  • All foot pegs and hangers powder coated.
  • Front and rear wheel rims and hubs powder coated. New bearings front and rear. Heavy duty Rugged roads stainless steel spokes fitted. Brand new Michelin Anakee 3 tyres fitted and balanced.
  • Radiators stripped and painted, new coolant and temp sensor
  • Oxford LED indicators and electronic relay fitted
  • Wemoto brass choke collars fitted and Carbs balanced
  • Rear swing arm bearing removed, bearings checked and greased
  • UK MPH clocks, 17’700 miles only with documented proof of mileage
  • Fuel pump has been refurbish, new points fitted
  • High quality after market mirrors and hand guards fitted
small1S.JPG
small2S.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes indeed, a truly lengthy and considered response. Been using xrv.org for the last year, this forum has proved an invaluable resource of useful information. Members’ responses to my prior posts have been extremely helpful and the support I have received from other senior members have been above and beyond anything I could have expected. If you have any concerns could you please justify your immature and stunted comment. I am always open too and welcome any questions you might have. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Yes indeed, a truly lengthy and considered response. Been using xrv.org for the last year, this forum has proved an invaluable resource of useful information. Members’ responses to my prior posts have been extremely helpful and the support I have received from other senior members have been above and beyond anything I could have expected. If you have any concerns could you please justify your immature and stunted comment. I am always open too and welcome any questions you might have.
Lengthy; No
Considered; Yes
Immature; No
Stunted; I prefer concise.

I don't mean to cause offence but surely a 'uk spec' bike with 'German' frame, mismatched panels, wrong seat, wrong colour engine, wrong mirrors etc in most people's eyes is a bitsa, irrespective of the time and money you have spent lovingly rebuilding it. Hence my comment.
I'm assuming was it was either a rotten or badly bent bike with a replacement frame, I can't see either one being able to command top money.

Good luck with the sale

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
To be fair, even with the obvious expenditure and effort put into the bike. It most defiantly (& unfortunately) does look like a "Bitsa" That's the trouble posting up in front of knowledgable Honda folk.The average Joe probably wouldn't notice anything odd about it.

Having said that, that shandydrinker scuppered the sale of one of my AT's by noticing I'd put the price up on the previous year :D and that was a well priced a minter .Bloody Northerners ! Don't tell him as I'm planning to try and sell it again this year. (it's an annual thing now) :) I was thinking around £6999 Phil, as it's now got a big f*ck *ff Rossi sticker on it as well ? :thumbright:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all thanks for your response. Over here the term ‘bitsa’ infers a mixture of makes cobbled together and sub-standard like when I was 14 I tried to put a V6 in the back of a VW Beetle. Most of what you have mentioned I have pointed out in the bikes description but I’m grateful for the opportunity to explain further. I’ve been riding bikes for just over 40 years now and yet to come across a 20 year old bike that hasn’t had parts changed in that time.
Over the years I have both restored and rebuilt dozens of vehicles, please note that for me restored means every effort has been made to keep everything original, and that I described the bike as rebuilt which gave me the latitude to make changes such as fitting SS spokes, dealing with the AT’s front spongy brakes and regulator issues. It also allowed me to make aesthetic changes whilst retaining the core identity of the AT.

You have hit the nail on the head for the frame change, the AT had been damaged many years ago and left on the previous owners drive for several years. When I rescued the bike it was in a fairly weather beaten state but surprisingly solid. Changing the frame took a lot of consideration so I put a post to the forum and the general consensus was changing the frame was for the best. I’ve changed damaged chassis on a few classic cars before and this had always proved a strong selling point.

I think you make a valid point about the apparent eclectic look to the fairings. When I had the original fairings repainted I decided on a minimalist approach to the decals going for a gun metal colour, but I was never happy with the finish of the two tank side fairings. However a few months ago I found two brand new side fairings on Gumtree for very little and when I received them, still in the Honda protective plastic, I didn’t have the heart to remove the pristine decals. Personally I was happy with the look but your right, to make the bike more attractive I should make all the decals uniform. The seat was missing when I bought the bike and I found it almost imposable to get a black one in good condition. So when I found this blue seat in great condition with very little wear I jumped at it. If you know of anyone with a black seat that wants to swop for a blue one let me know.

Many thanks to all:lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are a few bike's that can command a premium with mismatched frames and engines like vincents and some Rocket Gold stars. Sorry but the Africa twin ain't one of them. Bit futile to want top money due to cost of parts it owes,It Is what It Is and probably putting it on here for sale was like trying to sell oil to Dubai....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts