Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi need help
just bought a 1998 xrv750 with 12000 miles, been out on it once, when out it ran at low speed very rough like i was in the wronge gear..
Started last night on choke the bike ran for 2 mins the cut out, thinking that i have flooded it ,i turn the fuel of and turn the bike over with throttle wide open to clear.. Tried to start just turns over,
could this be a fuel pump problem, and what is the best pump to fit and how to check the old one ,
thanks karl:d:d

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I've moved this thread to the Africa Twin forum.

Yes, your problem could be the fuel pump, but start investigating with stuff that's not going to cost you.

I would strongly suggest you check the ENTIRE choke assembly, from the lever, down the cable to the splitter, then check the two cables that go to each carb, and the choke plungers in the carbs.

Use the forum search tool and search on CHOKE and you'll get a load of info.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Karl

Another thing to try is this.

If it is the fuel pump, chances are the contacts or plunger inside are stuck.

Get a long bit of wooden battening. Rest one end on the pump, and give the other end a few sharp whacks while running or trying to start the engine. I've known this to get pumps going.

The AT fuel pumps can be a problem (I've NEVER had one go with 5 Africa Twins) but it only seems to occur if they've been run dry or sitting around for a while. A upgrade is to fit a Facet fuel pump, but try and make sure its the pump before you spend money on a replacement.

Bob :thumbup:

Bob

·
AfricAddict
65 Posts
On an almost-full tank you could get it to start and run even with the pump completely by-passed, just with ole-gravity's help.

You could try that and see if it starts, then proceed to repair the old one, or get a new one altogether..

How fresh is the fuel in the tank anyway? Are you sure it's good and new?

Fuel filter could also be gunked-up...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on an almost-full tank you could get it to start and run even with the pump completely by-passed, just with ole-gravity's help.

You could try that and see if it starts, then proceed to repair the old one, or get a new one altogether..

How fresh is the fuel in the tank anyway? Are you sure it's good and new?

Fuel filter could also be gunked-up...
hi the bike ran today after i hit the fuel pump a couple of times but it does not run smoothly,,

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi
started okay today after hiting the fuel pump a couple of times, just done 80 miles with no problems so still not shore if the pump had stuck but orderd a new pump just incase.
thanks karl:rolleyes:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
hi
started okay today after hiting the fuel pump a couple of times, just done 80 miles with no problems so still not shore if the pump had stuck but orderd a new pump just incase.
thanks karl:rolleyes:
Definately sounds like the pump. Mine did exactly the same. Cut out and I managed to bump start it on a hill, but next time it happened I wasnt able to start it. AA got me started by hitting the pump a few times. They also checked the old pump and you could see the badly worn points. Another way to check is to place your hand on the pump while the engine is running, you should feel it sticking every now and then.

Good luck fitting the new pump, its pretty straightforward. Hardest part is getting the rubber mount to fit. Larger square peg inot a smaller round hole. It does go on.

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
From bitter experience - the worst weather I've ever been in at the side of a motorway with a knackered pump - I can say that with a full to 1/2 full tank the @ runs perfectly well with the pump by-passed - you just need to keep some long nosed pliers handy to use on the pipe clamps and be repared to swap some of the bits of pipe around untill you new pump arrives - then you can fit it and get busy with the solder on the old one to keep as a spare.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts